old cow to butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

RodBod

Reaction score
I have a beefmaster cow who is 8 yrs. old. Barren the last 2 tears. I sure hate to give her away at the sale barn---would she be worth butchering. Any steaks or just hamburger & stew meat?

Hard to say what type condition she is in--but probably a fair share of the steaks and roasts sold at places like Wally world are old cow meat....

After she;s hung for a couple of weeks, have the butcher cut out a couple of steaks and try them. If they're OK just process her like usual, otherwise burger and stew

dun":jjrrl1ro said:
After she;s hung for a couple of weeks, have the butcher cut out a couple of steaks and try them. If they're OK just process her like usual, otherwise burger and stew

That's a great idea!

Cut the tenderloin and grind the rest. We have found that the tenderloin will still be tender even from a older cow or bull. I wouldn't count on the rest being all that paletable. Flank steak and brisket could be cut, they are cooked to death anyway.
And that's alot of ground beef.
Dave Mc

We butchered a mature cow last summer. Dressing weight won't be has high a percentage as a younger animal. She made good hamburger though and lots of it.

Farmgirl

Cut the tenderloin and grind the rest. We have found that the tenderloin will still be tender even from a older cow or bull. I wouldn't count on the rest being all that paletable. Flank steak and brisket could be cut, they are cooked to death anyway.
And that's alot of ground beef.
Dave Mc
Can you tell the difference in the toughness if the whole cow is ground? have a cow 24 years old and needs the ticket.
Hanging any meat should be the rule. Some say old cow are of a different flavor?

Can you tell the difference in the toughness if the whole cow is ground? have a cow 24 years old and needs the ticket.
Hanging any meat should be the rule. Some say old cow are of a different flavor?
Burger is burger!

We are having an 8 or 9 year old done November 8th. Gonna keep the ribeyes and filets and burger the rest.

I'll let ya know....

24 years old. She's been a good one!

BTW, @Susie David was last seen 2012

We have bull moose up here that are 10 yrs old or more when harvested, they taste ok and lotsa steaks at that! So I drew a cow moose permit once and she was also ok. Why are our local cattle any diff? It's all in the head I think:rolleyes:

I have processed an 8 or 9 year old like ya would a 18 month old steer. Was very happy with it.

If the animal has been in good condition its whole life, it should be a pleasant eating experience. Give some corn thr last month to enhance flavor.

Older animals have a stronger beef flavor.

Personally. I like it. And am finding my customers like it too.

Have to be fat their whole lives though. Could be beautiful Ribeyes.

It's also a genetics thing too. Some animals are just tough, no matter the age or sex.

A good butcher should be able to tell you what to do with it when they start cutting into it.

Old thread or not, interesting topic.

Latest posts