Old cow stuck in mud. Please help

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just got back from town and the TSC was closed so I have no medicine but I will be heading back down to the creek to try and move her. It will be tough since neither the tractor or the 4 wheeler have working lights. Dusty Trails you were right about that tractor going back and forth. That is exactly what it was doing. Does anyone think I can get her up any with a 4 wheeler and chain around the neck? I had to take the tractor up to the top of the hill to put out some bails in the dark. Don't want to take it back down with no lights plus it is all grown up down by the creek. Damn thorn trees everywhere!

hillsdown":hbjzjigg said:
Go get all your neighbors that have tractors with lights NOW!!!!!!!!!If you have to haul her in a front end loader then DO IT.

Get that poor girl home to a shelter where you can hose her off get her warm and get an IV into her ASAP.

If not put her out of her misery.

GET HELP NOW>You should have gone to your neighbors to begin with they all would have come to help for the sake of the animal.

The rest of you ( and you know who you are) grow up this person needs hep not stupid bickering.

Also who in the be nice is posting picks instead of helping???????????

I can't even put her out of her misery hillsdown. I have no gun yet.

It wouldn't be surprising if she didn't roll back down. You might drive some posts and place a panel between her and the hill. You need to get her mobile ASAP.

If you can find some CMPK paste to put in her mouth, a couple of tubes and about 2 hours will make a difference. TSC should have it if you have to wait until morning. One of your neighbors may have some.

Those old nylon slings work great for times like these. You can take the busted ones and glue them together with gorilla glue. Just over lap them.

On a side note I have been a Milk Maid fan for a long time. Lots of respect for that gal. Been trying to stay out of this for that reason. You had lots of good input already.

wheresthebeef?":2sojvgbr said:
I can't even put her out of her misery hillsdown. I have no gun yet.

Maybe you need to get one.

wtb, it may be time that you finally meet your neighbors. Would make it easier with someone with some expertise and equipment on site.

Get help from your neighbors. Maybe they have meds (any type of ant inflammatory at this point) you can use. Need to figure out a way to heat her up. Blanket will not be enough by itself. Blanket maintains heat more than it creates heat.
I can't believe all the fighting you have to wade though for a piece of something you can use ~ sorry.

Don't you have any people around you that have machinery and cattle? Also if it's your wife's families place what the h@ll are they doing ?????It is your wife's family farm doesn't she know the neighbors?

Put your pride in your back pocket and get HELP NOW.
Call your neighbors NOW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have gone to them as soon as you saw the predicament.

This whole post is very sad as she is suffering because you didn't get help.

Good luck, but you don't need it she does.

She may not make it if you leave her there... I've seen shock kill more than one animal. Get her up and out of that muck - using whatever means you must to get her on the bank and dry ground - and try to get her on her feet, get her some hay and water, then cross your fingers. If she's still alive in the morning she has a better chance of making it than if she isn't, as ollie told me once. :lol: :p

Dextrose (sugar - electrolytes) would be a good idea for her at this point, but given your inexperience with cattle I'd say electrolytes given orally would be your best bet. Dex should be given IV and that's hard enough for a newbie, let alone on a dehydrated downer cow in the dark, no offense intended. Dexamethasone is something that you could use for treatment of shock and to make her feel better, but due to its immune system-suppressing properties I'd advise against it.

Lastly, you DO need to roll her upright with her legs under her, as a minimum. That is a must, even if you do nothing else for her tonight. Downers like that are prone to bloating, and it'd be really depressing to walk out there tomorrow morning and see her dead after all the work you put into getting her out.

Best of luck.

This is the wife of wtb. The neighbors are all in their 70s and better and aren't really able to help. The only reason why we're living here at all is because my grandparents are deceased(owners of farm) and the kids don't care about the place anymore. It's cheap rent but it comes with a price, with the cows and all. But we did know that before we moved here, don't get me wrong. But if it was up to my family they would have shot the cow already. My poor husband knows absolutely nothing about farming or cattle, and he is doing the best he can.

wheresthebeef?":esey7a3s said:
This is the wife of wtb. The neighbors are all in their 70s and better and aren't really able to help. The only reason why we're living here at all is because my grandparents are deceased(owners of farm) and the kids don't care about the place anymore. It's cheap rent but it comes with a price, with the cows and all. But we did know that before we moved here, don't get me wrong. But if it was up to my family they would have shot the cow already. My poor husband knows absolutely nothing about farming or cattle, and he is doing the best he can.
He knows more about it today than he did yesterday. Good work.

Larry

Milkmaid, just keep telling what you know works. There will always be those that are jealous of your knowledge or, your experience or, your success . I'm so happy to see a brilliant young person like you taking the time and effort to help those with less experience. Keep up the good work.

Larry

larryshoat":2jp6606l said:
Milkmaid, just keep telling what you know works. There will always be those that are jealous of your knowledge or, your experience or, your success . I'm so happy to see a brilliant young person like you taking the time and effort to help those with less experience. Keep up the good work.

Larry

Mister shoat their is a big difference between jealousy and using common since. When I READ THE STATEMENTS ABOUT USING A ROPE OR CHAIN AND PULLING THIS COW FROM THE MUCK ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I HAVE BEEN THAT MAD AT A STUPID STATEMENT. THE word is not jealousy but infuriated at such statements of use a rope or chain.

I think if you would reread the posts with an open mind rather than that of a pacifist you might get an education. But what the hay an open mind is hard to come by because some people fear ridicule. Then some got to pat backs because when they make an a- -inine statment they will need their own buts covered.

Not me I dont nurse hind udder for or to no one there is a correct way and a wrong way no middle ground and the rope and chain bangers were wrong but to proud to admit it. lest i forget so were all the ones who condoned the rope and chain method but they are to proud to admit it also.

If there had been no picture there could have been a gray area for discussion. Im just glad wheresthebeef excercised common sense and dug her out rather than stretching her neck or tearing her head off. He is to be highly commended for giving the cow a chance thats far more than some were willing to do. :tiphat: to wheresthebeef

greenhornsdad":of04wkm9 said:
cow didn't make it.

Aww sorry to hear it. You did the best you could and got some huge lessons. Don't be hard on yourself. You will use what you learned, trust me.

I have pulled a few out of the mud with a horse and with vehicles. (note: yet another plus for horns!) I have to weigh in on the dragging by the neck bruhaha - its better than leaving 'em in the mud. If you go smooth and slow it will not hurt them any. I was hoping to jump in with the warning that I have NEVER seen one grateful for the help. Been chased and had my truck tore up a few times by muddy bovine "gratitude."

She was weak and probably dehydrated and chilled. Start making a list of a couple emergency items to keep around for this sort of situation, look into a good gun .38 at a very minimum, and even old neighbors can give advice - don't be afraid to hear them out. Sometimes they are full of crackpot remedies, other times they may be old hands at just what you need help with.

Good luck and welcome to ranch life! :lol2: Baptism by fire!

Dusty-Trails":2np3cl5m said:
larryshoat":2np3cl5m said:

Larry

Mister shoat their is a big difference between jealousy and using common since. When I READ THE STATEMENTS ABOUT USING A ROPE OR CHAIN AND PULLING THIS COW FROM THE MUCK ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I HAVE BEEN THAT MAD AT A STUPID STATEMENT. THE word is not jealousy but infuriated at such statements of use a rope or chain.

I think if you would reread the posts with an open mind rather than that of a pacifist you might get an education. But what the hay an open mind is hard to come by because some people fear ridicule. Then some got to pat backs because when they make an a- -inine statment they will need their own buts covered.

Not me I dont nurse hind udder for or to no one there is a correct way and a wrong way no middle ground and the rope and chain bangers were wrong but to proud to admit it. lest i forget so were all the ones who condoned the rope and chain method but they are to proud to admit it also.

If there had been no picture there could have been a gray area for discussion. Im just glad wheresthebeef excercised common sense and dug her out rather than stretching her neck or tearing her head off. He is to be highly commended for giving the cow a chance thats far more than some were willing to do. :tiphat: to wheresthebeef

Hey Mods. Can we go ahead and lock this thread down. This stuff is getting old. The cow issue is over. All that is left if bickering with insults being lashed out at some very good folks.

I am tempted to delete the whole topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts