Old Cow Down

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not going to say don't call a vet everytime a cow gets down but how does a person ever learn what do to or how to do it if they haven't been around it or haven't seen it done? How did you learn? I gurantee you that you have asked advice on what do do for a cow or how to do something and didn't call a vet. Give the guy a break he asked a simple question and you guys rip him a new one. That's why its calle the beginners board so people who are begining can learn. Maybe you should have a professionals board and all you that know everything and never have any questions can post crap like this.

chadreed88":67vp4b4g said:
I'm not going to say don't call a vet everytime a cow gets down but how does a person ever learn what do to or how to do it if they haven't been around it or haven't seen it done? How did you learn? I gurantee you that you have asked advice on what do do for a cow or how to do something and didn't call a vet. Give the guy a break he asked a simple question and you guys rip him a new one. That's why its calle the beginners board so people who are begining can learn. Maybe you should have a professionals board and all you that know everything and never have any questions can post crap like this.

Well Chad here goes yes we have all been there and we all still have ? but if you have a cow down or that has been off feed for a couple days the first thing you need to do is call a vet if you don't know how to treat her, not ask someone who might be 2000 miles away for advice that doesn't know your weather, herd health or condition of your cow there is a 1000 or more reasons for a cow to go down and there is 10,000 different answers

Angus Cowman":3uwbbobf said:
Well Chad here goes yes we have all been there and we all still have ? but if you have a cow down or that has been off feed for a couple days the first thing you need to do is call a vet if you don't know how to treat her, not ask someone who might be 2000 miles away for advice that doesn't know your weather, herd health or condition of your cow there is a 1000 or more reasons for a cow to go down and there is 10,000 different answers
Well AC here goes. yes you are right. SO you respond something like "SoD ~ Your guess is as good as mine given the information provided. I would suggest you contact a vet. Good Luck and welcome to CT" .

Well give him the answer of some things that might be wrong even though you don't know that information. If you get a cold the doctor doesn't know who you came in contact with,what you ate but he has an idea by the symptoms you have what it might be. Whats different in a cow you have signs that there showing and you make a guess (decision) as to what it is. So therefor he asked a question and if you don't want to give your opinion on that question don't reply telling him how stupid he is and how it pisses you off when people ask these type of questions if you hate it that much don't take the time to read it and sure don't take the time to write a three page smart a** answer saying you won't answer his question.

Nesikep":3hvxq6y8 said:
I don't know about bez, but it made me smile!

Me too - good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read it!

Sometimes we need some laughter here....even in the middle of a serious discussion.

But on the "Down Cow"...there are some situations where some quick advice here can help a beginner.

However as a fellow beginner, I think one of the most important things you need to do is to establish a good relationship with a local, large animal vet that really likes cattle - not a poodle vet.

My experienced neighbor recommended one of the several local vets (I am in a dairy area) and this vet has been extremely helpful. Once you have that relationship, and he has come to your farm and has met you and seen your cattle/operation, many folks will feel more comfortable calling when they have an emergency like a cow down. And once you have that relationship, the vet will probably try to help on a few phone calls.

I think we all need to realize however that even the best vet can't constantly be on the phone with free advice. However most will help in this type of situation IF they know you and that you will use them for some other business in the future.

I think my vet charges $45 for a farm visit. Then there would be plus services and materials but even at $75 or 100. for a cow that is obviously down it may be worthwhile. IF she's NOT worth 75 or 100. for a vet visit and services then you should just put her down humanely. jmho.

Angus Cowman, that was funny. Thank you.

I guess I should have given a little more detail about the old cow. What I was really looking for was any ideas about why she wasn't drinking - didn't know if there might be something somebody else may have experienced along those lines. And no, I did not call the vet, she was to old. She was a little over 14 years old, still had good teeth, good feet and like I said, she produced a good calf every year. She was just old - nothing a vet could do about that.

I've still got about a half dozen similar old cows (some of my originals) that I keep in my herd - I figure if they are only worth $0.15 - 0.20/lb and will still breed then they are welcome to stay around until something changes. I may not use the vet - other than to buy meds - but I do manage my herd as humanely as I can. When I found her this morning I didn't need to load my 0.38, nature took care of that for me.

Needless to say, I have enjoyed reading this forum for many years and I respect the opinions given. Thanks to those who took the time.

South of Dallas":3s7i6d44 said:
I guess I should have given a little more detail about the old cow. What I was really looking for was any ideas about why she wasn't drinking - didn't know if there might be something somebody else may have experienced along those lines. And no, I did not call the vet, she was to old. She was a little over 14 years old, still had good teeth, good feet and like I said, she produced a good calf every year. She was just old - nothing a vet could do about that.

I've still got about a half dozen similar old cows (some of my originals) that I keep in my herd - I figure if they are only worth $0.15 - 0.20/lb and will still breed then they are welcome to stay around until something changes. I may not use the vet - other than to buy meds - but I do manage my herd as humanely as I can. When I found her this morning I didn't need to load my 0.38, nature took care of that for me.

Needless to say, I have enjoyed reading this forum for many years and I respect the opinions given. Thanks to those who took the time.
Sorry to hear of your loss, always hard. Don't take some of the above comments too personal, everyone here means well, and I know Bez is one of the most respected posters here. Sometimes folks get frustrated with the same questions over and over and over again. That being said, I also urge folks on this board to understand that "googling" situations they run into, is often what brings them to this site. This site exists for the sharing of information, correct? Lots of great people on this site (including all of whom replied to your post) with a wealth of information they are happy to share. Welcome to the site, and once again, sorry for your loss.

I hate to say this....but I agree with the bullet guy.

I've never had good luck with a cow that was down. I never had one to recover.

It's very hard to justify a vet visit for beef cattle.

The math just won't add up.

yep, as much as I don't *like* the idea of it, it's gotta be done most of the time, you can easily spend 300$ just to have an open cow next year, it sucks and that's the way it is

farmerdude":2frpsi9t said:
I've never had good luck with a cow that was down. I never had one to recover.

I have gotten many up. Ridgerock and Bez are both on the money.

Read back to what was stated. This cow was eating and drinking. Cows that eat and drink still have the will.

There are a dozen tubes of CMPK paste in the truck right now. Not so much for my cows. Mine ger loose minerals. But if one of mine get their hips messed up from getting bred by that gawd dang fence busting block shouldered angus bull north of me, I am ready.

If you can catch a down cow really early and paste them with CMPK, wait an hour, most get up on their own. Paste them again in a few hours if they are not wild and in a pasture with no means to work them.

I have access to a very good vet. Probably the best in the state. But he is 130 miles off. My old reliable vet locally died years back. I haven't found a large animal vet locally since.

Bez said it best in this thread and I enjoyed the whole thread.

I am of the thinking that cattle have to make it on their own with little interaction from me. That's the only way I know to stay in the cattle business.

There are alot of good animals, with amazing natural instincts, that have been ruined by human interaction.

Brute 23":2jbdbqwe said:
I am of the thinking that cattle have to make it on their own with little interaction from me. That's the only way I know to stay in the cattle business.

There are alot of good animals, with amazing natural instincts, that have been ruined by human interaction.
So if a cow is calving with a foot back you just leave her alone to work it out on her own?

Our cattle go so deep in the brush to calve you don't see it happening often. Sure I have pulled calves before, but I guarantee that cow did not last one day past the first chance I got to ship her and her calf. IF you had to step in that cow was inferior in some way, make hamburger out of her and do us all a favor.

PLUS, its alot better than leaving them there why you go ask a bunch of people on the e-net their opinions. Then go and try every little remedy they listed for a day or two and turning her into a big experiment.... just to FINALLY call the vet and they tell you to put her down ANYWAYS and charge you for doing it... and disposing of the animal. That is cruel but people justify it to themselves by saying "well atleast I did all I could do". :roll:

Brute 23":1q1fl2un said:
PLUS, its alot better than leaving them there why you go ask a bunch of people on the e-net their opinions. Then go and try every little remedy they listed for a day or two and turning her into a big experiment.... just to FINALLY call the vet and they tell you to put her down ANYWAYS and charge you for doing it... and disposing of the animal. That is cruel but people justify it to themselves by saying "well atleast I did all I could do". :roll:

So if your a newbie and need to leave a cow calving to type on CT "what do I do" you shouldn't have cows! Granted I had been working cows with my dad since I was 11, but when I first started a herd of my own I read eveything I could get my hands on BEFORE calves came into the picture. Isn't this common sense? Sorry if the newbie took it hard, but Bez is right. How many times has a newbie come on to post just like this one? Dun touched on it a while back, about people who log in ask a question, and then never come back. At least this newbie came back and explained (a little) more.

There are those that are scared (for lack of a better term) to call a vet because they think the vet may fuss at them. I did a post a while back where my wife's co-worker had a downer cow that I saved for him, and then had to show him the right way to take care of the animals. He wouldn't call a vet. I suppose the e-net gives a poster anonymity to some degree from the responsibility of the problem.

There are some truly caring people on CT - Bez is one (most farmers are), but everyone reaches their point when they have to let off steam. That's why Caustic will live so long, he never holds anything in ;-) .

So to the newbie, sorry if your feelings were hurt. Don't take brash responses as people not caring; but some posts get real old. Perhaps we should put some sort of welcoming post that kind of lists out "ground rules". I'd never want to discourage a new cattle person, but at the same time I feel for the Bez's of the CT world that get tired of these type posts.

Latest posts