Old Cow acting crazy

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":2h8hyf6v said:
ag,
I don't know your experience so forgive for being elementary...cows drool at the mouth much of the time...have you seen a cow sling her head up over side to the back with the long tongue out after flies...and as they do a string of drool flies everywhere. I am assuming you mean something more than the normal. I agree with others get her up and check her out. Something is amiss with her....not normal.

I do not have much experience at all, that is one reason I went to this sight for help. What happen was when I first found her she looked weak and tried to walk away from me but when I approched her I would try to give her some range cubes and she would just hold it in her mouth and drool bad and then drop the cube from mouth and walk away now she looks healty but keeps her distant and runs away. thanks for all the input on this matter ya'll all have been a big help.

tg,
Not being a vet...I don't know but, with what you are telling us now...I would be suspicious of a nail/wire caught in her mouth..maybe a tooth problem...check her out...you don't have mush to loose. She may/may not get better. Maybe it's the start of a brain tumor/disorder.....forget what it is called...seems prevelant these days in cows.

Just trying to help.

Cow Flop pen the wore out old cow even if you have to bring in someone with a catch dog. Again pen the cow get a vet or innoculate with lead, cure or kill it never let the sun set on a sick cow.

still seems to me the easy way is just dart her with a tranquilizer and you dont risk getting hurt and you can examine her all you need to and she wont get excited-----if you have access to a neighbor with a dart gun that would sure be the safest way. if you dont have that access, then the different ways that have been suggested on the board would all work