Old Chutes/ Let's see some pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Posted this on Ranchers in reply to a thread over there and thought it would make a good thread here. This is a picture of me(on the right @16) and my cousins working cattle throught the chute at my Grandpa's place. The year was 1966. All I remember is we were doing something to the bulls. That old chute seemed to be pretty modern at the time!

scan00022.jpg

ALACOWMAN":md24omtc said:
if it were on my place it would still be modern,,, good picture

Same here. That appears to be more 'modern' than what I've got going here. :lol2:
But what we have, works for us.

Like the picture.

Katherine

I'll bite. This is (or was) the old chute we had on the place for as long as I can remember (which is probably over 40 years) before it got sold at the auction a couple years ago. No idea how old (I know it's over 40 years old) or what brand it is, but it did it's job, and probably still is at the farm it got sold to:
DSCF0019-4.jpg

DSCF0020-4.jpg

Maybe someone can pinpoint the brand this old thing was?

ILB that would probably be a little over 40 years. I've got two units that are over 40 years old and slightly more modern than yours. They have a squeeze handle overheard similar to 3ways in that first pic and they also have a side release gate. They run their heads into the end V and you lock the bar down over their heads from above.

I'll have to get some pics.

One of them came out of an overgrown thicket. All the wood was gone but the metal was solid. It was in several pieces. I used the one good one for a pattern and reassembled the other one. I had to cut a lot of brush to pull it all out of there and scrape the ground for small pieces. It took a while.

The headgate on that thing certainly made anything that had to be done with a steer's head fun. Without a head catch above or below like with yours and 3way's the steer's head'd be bobbing up and down like a cork. Of course the only thing that would fix that is to halter the steer and tie the head to the flat steel plates that Dad had welded there for that purpose, or hook a bull lead to them. Or, hook the nose behind the chain fixed on the left door in pic#2. Even then an animal will slip out of that.

But yep, easy to use and fix, all it takes was some oiling on occasion and it was good to go.

3waycross":e4insv4f said:
Posted this on Ranchers in reply to a thread over there and thought it would make a good thread here. This is a picture of me(on the right @16) and my cousins working cattle throught the chute at my Grandpa's place. The year was 1966. All I remember is we were doing something to the bulls. That old chute seemed to be pretty modern at the time!

scan00022.jpg

Great pic, great lesson in cooperation for the family. The younger generations need framed, signed copies.

john250":2n15cd02 said:
3waycross":2n15cd02 said:

scan00022.jpg

Great pic, great lesson in cooperation for the family. The younger generations need framed, signed copies.

You should see it when we butchered hogs. We would kill 30 easy and it would last for days. Makin Sausage and hams, and bacon. The kill room had built in vats with a rail over them. We would kill for at least 5 families of cousins and aunts and uncles.

ALACOWMAN":2w8amgp0 said:
thats off a portable one maybe,, the kind the co. extention office have??
That sounds right AL. I found it is some stuff my Uncle had. He was a veterinarian that did a lot of large animal work and it's probably off a portable chute that he had.

Latest posts