OLD cat with BAD Abscess

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
We have this very old cat that has gotten into a fight and now has a VERY bad abscess -- I am feeling it may be to late to save him but I'm trying...he will not eat b/c it is on his lower jaw and it has swollen the area around his mouth...we do not have the money to take him to the vet so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to possibly save him, and please if you have any ideas do not be afraid to tell me, I'm pretty much desprate now and anything is worth a shot -- and please do not tell me to just shoot him --

Shove the cat into the sleeve of a coat, and lance the abcess and get as much of the funk out as you can. Flush the pocket with warm water and dial soap mixed together. Flush with plain warm water. If you have penn, give it a shot sub q. Get triple anti biotic salve (at the grocery store for people) and put it in and around the injury. Wash it and use the salve once a day for at least a week ~ the cut cannot be allowed to heal or seal itself shut ~ there has to be a drain. See? If it will be patient, you can hold something warm over the injury like a hot water bottle (make sure not too hot). Or put rice in a sock and heat it in the microwave and hold that against the injury ~ it not only will help it to feel better, but it will increase blood flow to the area. Good luck.

What Angie said :nod: , the main thing is to keep that draining . You can also wrap it tight and snug in a towel (the kitty cat while you lance the abscess).I don't know what antibiotics you have on hand etc. but a white pen will work, have used it in a pinch on my dog once and was told by the vet 6 cc's IM and she weighed 15-20 lbs..Can you call your usual la vet, they should be able to tell you for free what you can do with the things you have on hand. The one thing I know about our LA clinic is they know that us as country folks usually have a few extra dogs and cats around that we take care of but really aren't our pets so they will give all the help and advice they can because they know that we can't shell out the bucks but still want to put the animals best welfare at heart.

Good luck with your cat and I know what you mean by "don't tell me just to shoot it". I am the one that couldn't cook a live lobster.. :(

we had a cat with the same thing, we made a strong solution of epsom salts as warm as you could without it burning, and washed the area really well, soaking it in... we gave the cat a shot of liquamycin LA as well since that's all we had available, we gave a little less than the body weight recomendation for a cow.. it was like 1/4cc or something, and it did the trick nicely

I usually have good luck treating abscesses on cats, but one year my cat got one on her shoulder that became a very spread out pocket of infection that just kept coming back no matter what. When I took her to the vet, it had to be flayed open and thoroughly flushed with a saline solution, then a soft rubber drain tube was stitched in with the end sticking out. It was pretty gruesome looking and gross, but it healed up great. I've found that most abscesses don't need a vet for treatment though, so good luck helping your cat.

K2011":2fp8wh7e said:
We have this very old cat that has gotten into a fight and now has a VERY bad abscess -- I am feeling it may be to late to save him but I'm trying...he will not eat b/c it is on his lower jaw and it has swollen the area around his mouth...we do not have the money to take him to the vet so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to possibly save him, and please if you have any ideas do not be afraid to tell me, I'm pretty much desprate now and anything is worth a shot -- and please do not tell me to just shoot him --

Gee whiz, and we wonder why PETA is on our asses. :roll:

msscamp":2rd1s557 said:
K2011":2rd1s557 said:

Gee whiz, and we wonder why PETA is on our asses. :roll:

What??? At least I'm trying -- and BTW he is eating very regularly, and the swelling has gone way down -- Plenty of other ppl may not have tried a thing...thanks for the encouragement...

I had a cat with an abcessed jaw. It acutally drained on it's own once, which really freaked out both the cat and I. It was running through the house in the middle of the night slinging pus and blood everywhere. I took him to the vet, got it treated, and then it abcessed again a month later. Vet lanced it this time and cleaned it. It never came back, thank goodness.

Well, we took him to the vet on Friday and they said that he either had a tooth abscess or it's cancer...they drained/lanced/what ever they had to do to it...my mom actually took him to the vet, it's a long story and I'd rather not go into details, but thank you for yall's comments - I tried nearly every one of them... but once he makes a full recovery in the garage it's back to the "farm"

Latest posts