Old bull not acting right!

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboyFFA_09

Reaction score
our 3 year old bull is not acting rite. the vets from va tech said its acorns but if it was acorns he would've been dead already!?? but any thoughts. they did blood work and said he had liver and kidney damage. any thing else it could be?
Millerlite

cowboyFFA_09":2uszgqr6 said:
our 3 year old bull is not acting rite. the vets from va tech said its acorns but if it was acorns he would've been dead already!?? but any thoughts. they did blood work and said he had liver and kidney damage. any thing else it could be?
Millerlite

Depends on what kind of acorns Pin Oaks and Live Oaks are bad medicine White Oaks and Red Oaks are OK it has to do with levels of tanic acid. And if has the problems you describe haul the young fellow to the salebarn.

well he aint acting right for acorns or buckeyes. if it was them you could see the hulls when he pooped right? hes just not showing the syptoms for acorns. which the vets think it is. but i would like to know what it is though. thanks Burno.
Millerlite

With liver and kidney damage, sounds like you better take him to the sales barn and get what you can get. Cattle can live quite a while with acorn poisoning. There are so many different levels and varieties that you cant predict exactly what will happen, but most of the time, they dont get over it. The big problem with the acorns where I live is that they swallow them whole and they pack in the stomach and the sharp tips cut the stomach lining and it gets infected. Once that happens, they will show scours and get lethargic and thin and wont eat and you can keep them full of antibiotics, but seldom does it cure the problem once it gets to that stage

cowboyFFA_09":2ukvcev4 said:
well he aint acting right for acorns or buckeyes. if it was them you could see the hulls when he pooped right? hes just not showing the syptoms for acorns. which the vets think it is. but i would like to know what it is though. thanks Burno.
Millerlite

I live in the Big Thicket and certain Oak trees will cause real issues in the pasture. I have seen cows drop like flies and especially Angus for some reason ( I have just considered it to be more lethal on them due to size)that have gotten into pin oak acorns. Hulls in that pile of dung is not a sign here will ,be road tar black and oily in appearence

You are long way fron Texas and I have not a clue to the species or subspecies of oaks you have and the problems they may cause.

Liver and kidney damage...wouldn't expect him to thrive, just go down hill.
Time to make the hard decisions associated with the business.
A guy could figure fifty cents a pound at the sale barn for a slaughter bull.
Good luck....DMc

Latest posts