Old brands

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
I found Emge hams at the IGA yesterday so I bought one. Hadn't seen one in years, didn't even know they were still in business. Around here that was the go to store bought ham of my youth. Only difference was they're wrapped in plastic now instead of paper.

Kind of like the fruit cake thread, what's some old brands that you all still use/wish you could get?

Another I remember from childhood is Chocola. Nothing better than one from the bottle machine at the service station. I'd love to pop the cap on one of those again.

I found Emge hams at the IGA yesterday so I bought one. Hadn't seen one in years, didn't even know they were still in business. Around here that was the go to store bought ham of my youth. Only difference was they're wrapped in plastic now instead of paper.

Kind of like the fruit cake thread, what's some old brands that you all still use/wish you could get?

Another I remember from childhood is Chocola. Nothing better than one from the bottle machine at the service station. I'd love to pop the cap on one of those again.
In a lot of different products you are seeing major brands buying up names of old products and promoting the nostalgia thing, HEB stores has a section with old name and old style sodas, most produced by a distributor in Dublin TX that use pure cane sugar instead of fructose, in the HVAC business there is a manufacturer that tried to capitalize on old appliance brand names like Friedrick, Maytag and a few others. I guess they're trying to capture the Boomer market and the ones that go to the antique auctions ans say "My momma had one of those"

Not a brand... but I think I ate my last King crab and didn't even know it. We used to buy a couple of pounds of King crab for New Years Eve... but that's now a tradition that will end. At $55 a pound I refuse.
Same here, I used to pay $300 for a 30lb box of frozen King crab. Gonna have to do without now.

I am still interested in learning more about "old brands". But I come from a part of the world where 99% of the cattle get branded.

Burma Shave signs were still popular when I traveled with my parents as a young teen back and forth from East Texas out to the Western part of Texas near Sweetwater. So was some kind of souvenir shop that had little Burma Shave type signs for miles before you got to it. "Treasures, Toys, Trinkets and Trash" was among the things the little signs said.

Gone too, are almost all the real Stuckeys places. There are still a few around East of Houston along I-10 but they are nothing like the original. I believe it was originally a Georgia based company and may still be and perhaps they are making a comeback elsewhere. Their pecan rolls were good!

We lived in Irving TX in the mid '70s. My grandparents would come pick me up a few times a year. Granddad always stopped at a Minute Man for lunch. Haven't seen one of those in decades.

There won't be any Kmarts soon. I've seen stores with empty parking lots still open and stores doing good business being closed. I don't know how they make their decisions but I suspect they are on the Walmart payroll and being paid to fail.

Kmarts have been in trouble and serious decline for over 10 years. The last one I went into in Lufkin Texas in 2014 was dirty, lots of empty shelves and the AC was set way high for the middle of summer.
Sears Holding had bought them out and really had no interest in keeping them going, since Sears itself was/is in lots of hurt.

Latest posts