Old Angus Cow Filet Mignon ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
So I guess you are never to old to learn. I took this old cow that is stifled to the processor today. She weighs 1600 pounds and been on feed by her self because she raised my daughters show heifer and we short penned the pair so we could easily halter the calf. Anyhow when I took her to the processor the girl asked me about Filet Mignons. I said I was going to grind all of her into burger. She told me she would take the filets if I didn't want them. She explained that the Filet Mignon is the one muscle that never does anything and is fine no matter the age of the animal. So yea I absolutely will try the Filets

Attachments

• 9E87BA6E-5992-46CC-A189-28BD0C24B461.jpeg
    9E87BA6E-5992-46CC-A189-28BD0C24B461.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
She explained that the Filet Mignon is the one muscle that never does anything and is fine no matter the age of the animal. So yea I absolutely will try the Filets
She did you a favor by speaking up. She is absolutely right, filet mignon is cut from the tenderloin and I always have them cut, unless I want T-bones.
My butcher doesn't charge extra for cutting and wrapping steaks and roasts, but does charge for grinding, so processing is cheaper than having it all ground.
On cows, I tell him to look at the other steaks and if he'd eat them, cut and wrap them too, otherwise grind them.

We save the tenderloin out of every animal we grind. The last time out butcher sent the whole thing home uncut. We thawed it and cut our own steaks.

I weaned the calf the end of February just because it was my daughter's show heifer.( she got weaned early) So the calf was off her for 60 days or so.

We had a big around 8 year old. Braford cow processed. I was going to have it all ground, but the processors thought that with as good of condition as she was in that we should get some steaks and roasts. We got some filets and they tasted great, and texture wasn't bad, but a little chewier than from a younger calf.

Had a 10 yr old Holstein (my wife bought her, and red & white HO heifer, for me as bottle-calf birthday presents) that we pulled a big dead calf out of. Had her ground into burger (I had 4 kids under 9 at the time), except for the filets. I don't remember how the filets were... but we don't cull much... and she made a big pile of hamburger, even without them .

Latest posts