Okra

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
It seems to me that Okra is readily used by a lot of you, that made me read up on it and browse a couple of recipes. One rarely finds it here in SA, I know very little about it. Anyway, I found some today and there seems to be a whole lot of methods of preparing it. In your opinion what is the best way to prepare it? A good recipe will be even better - thanks :D .

Had fried okra for lunch and it was outstanding. Slice it into little segments and batter it and fry. Another great way is to pickle it whole. You need smaller pods and don't cut into the seed area or it will slim you. Any pickle recipe is good for them but I like a clove of garlic and dill in mine and maybe some hot pepper to make it spicier. Other than that its really not fit to eat unless its in a gumbo or something.JMO

Jogeephus":1hq4l8do said:
Had fried okra for lunch and it was outstanding. Slice it into little segments and batter it and fry. Another great way is to pickle it whole. You need smaller pods and don't cut into the seed area or it will slim you. Any pickle recipe is good for them but I like a clove of garlic and dill in mine and maybe some hot pepper to make it spicier. Other than that its really not fit to eat unless its in a gumbo or something.JMO
My preference is the battered and deep fried

Boiled with butter is my favorite. Cooked that way, you don't have to worry about chewing it. :hide:

Used to call it "slides" back in the day...........

Fried okra salad...fry the okra, and mix in bell pepper and purple onion. Served in a big ol bowl. It's good eatin!!

Fried Okra is just about the only way I make it. I leave the batter off, fry it in a cast iron skillet with a little bacon grease until it's good and browned. I add a little onion and garlic and sometimes some jalepeno.

Slice okra into 1/4" slices. Discard each end.
In a bowl with flour add okra and shake around until coated. It will be a little sticky.
In a bowl of corn meal add flour coated sticky okra and shake until coated well. I won't be sticky any more.
In a skillet with a fair amount of oil (enough oil to fry chicken or french fries) add the okra and cook until done. Really done. It should be crunchy but if you like it chewy go for it.

LRTX1":3dej1qqs said:
Fried Okra is just about the only way I make it. I leave the batter off, fry it in a cast iron skillet with a little bacon grease until it's good and browned. I add a little onion and garlic and sometimes some jalepeno.
That sounds good! I'll have to try that! Sounds good with some deer sausage cut real small....:)

Kingfisher":3lkin8uy said:
LRTX1":3lkin8uy said:
That sounds good! I'll have to try that! Sounds good with some deer sausage cut real small....:)

Cook it slow, takes about 25-30 minutes to do it right. And you can't put too much okra in the pan, it cooks down a whole bunch.

Doesn't matter how you cook it....don't let it get past prime. Nothing like tough, stringy okra. Cut it while it's young and tender.

We also freeze the okra after preparing it like my Grandmother taught. After preparing it as in the instructions above, place on a cookie sheet or such with them mostly not to jumbled up. If one desired to be perfect they may not let them touch at all. Put in the freeze until frozen and then put in a freezer bag. Get out however much you need for each meal until the next crop comes in. It ain't quite as good as fresh but it is better than being without.

Wewild":1qj9st75 said:
Slice okra into 1/4" slices. Discard each end.

My wife and I disagree on discarding the pointed end. I say it's just okra. She cuts it off because her mom cut it off. Her mom cut it off because her mom cut it off, but none of them know why they cut it off. C'mon. It's just okra. so eat it. :lol:

The plants have a tendancy to cause itching wherever it touches you and it has to be cut every 2 or 3 days or the pods will be too hard for consumption. I like it any kind of way. One nobody mentioned is tomatoes and okra. Just boil down some tomatoes and add cut up okra in them the last 15 or 20 minutes of cooking, salt to taste of course. Southern style vegetable soup is not southern without okra. It's peculiar that okra isn't common in SA seeing as okra was imported to this country from Africa. What's your weather going to be like the next 3 months? You need hot weather to grow it.

ga.prime":18r9nceb said:
The plants have a tendancy to cause itching wherever it touches you and it has to be cut every 2 or 3 days or the pods will be too hard for consumption. I like it any kind of way. One nobody mentioned is tomatoes and okra. Just boil down some tomatoes and add cut up okra in them the last 15 or 20 minutes of cooking, salt to taste of course. Southern style vegetable soup is not southern without okra. It's peculiar that okra isn't common in SA seeing as okra was imported to this country from Africa. What's your weather going to be like the next 3 months? You need hot weather to grow it.
What?.......no purple hull peas thrown in? :shock: