Oklahoma Burning!!

Help Support CattleToday:

norriscathy

Reaction score
How bad is it in Oklahoma? Did the stockyards burn up? This drought is unbelievable; hope yall still have some grass/hay in the middle and northern plains. The cows here have nothing to eat in the pastures and hay is really running short. We're starting to ship our best cows to OK City next week (4-8 year olds, 7-8 months bred). Really depressing!!!! Hope everyone is not in as bad a shape. Sure don't want the cow market to collaspe. It is now a matter of survival!!

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I just got done moving cattle to high ground. :( The water is running fast enough to wash the culvert down stream again.

yeah no threat of fire here as of today. opposite problem here.

Very bad in central Texas as well. We've got enough hay, but I know there are many others looking for some. The dried up pastures are very scary.. fires have been all around this area for a couple of weeks.

California could sure send us some of their rain!

TheBullLady":wg36rmky said:
Very bad in central Texas as well. We've got enough hay, but I know there are many others looking for some. The dried up pastures are very scary.. fires have been all around this area for a couple of weeks.

California could sure send us some of their rain!

One fire in Eastland and Comanche counties burned 32000 acres. And I did not add an extra zero. took 30 hours to put it out. Still having falre ups. Carbon lost a bunch of houses. A little town named Kokomo lost 7 houses and its church. I had posted about Cross Plains. They lost 116 houses. There were also fires in Erath county TX. The town of Huckaby last I heard was burning and had been evacuated. Overall i have heard of 7 people confirmed dead. They are now searching houses of some elderly people around Kokomo that are unaccounted for. I only heard a rumer of the fire in Easland county. seems a man was cooking pork chos on his little charcoal grill and buned 32,000 acres. On a lighter note, see what pork will get you. This has not been confirmed.

Scotty

My heart goes out to all in Oklahoma and Texas that are threatened by the fires. It is very dry here as well,and we have had a few fires,but nothing like further west.We have a burn ban in almost every county here.We need rain or a good snow cover to put some needed moisture back into the ground.We have been fortunate to obtian enough hay to get through the dry fall,and the rest of the winter,but if we don't get some rain we will be forced to start selling cattle as well.That will put the market into the toilet for sure. :( :shock:

Very dry around my area as well, although I guess not quite as bad as in some other areas of Texas. It was 82 degrees for the high today, with very low humidity --- weather like that really enhances the fire danger. Nobody has any growth on ryegrass, oats, wheat, etc. Hay is really starting to sell for a premium . A somewhat unsavory and not well liked fellow down the road had a large field of Jiggs bermuda that was way old and that was browned out from frost/freeze, but he recently baled it and is offering it for $50 per bale (5x6 bales). Not so long ago he would have had a real hard time selling it at $30 per bale. Saw 2 flatbed 18 wheelers loaded with 38 bales each leaving a few days ago --- probably selling it to desperate folks in other parts of the state. Cows may be fighting the catfish for water in the ponds before too long. :(

Keep your chin up. We look very dry here at the moment,our water is starting to go back pretty well. We have had temperatures over 32 C for the past almost three weeks and about 20 points of rain in that time.
We still have plenty of grass albeit dry. There have been fires down the south of our state upwards of 20,000 sheep have perished,lost about a dozen houses. There are a few fires in national and state parks which should be left to burn out. Our silly state government waste so much time fighting fires in inaccessible country.
Colin

Shoot, I'm looking for hay right now. Hard to find. If we don't get rain soon, were going to be REALLY in trouble. I heard that this drought is the worst in 50 years.

Dick

My Dad's place is in Erath County, I've got cows up there too. My grandparents place that burned in just down the road from my Dad's a few miles. It's so dry. My grandparents lost all their hay, they've been putting out little fires for over a week now. We traced the path of the fire back to a burn pit on the adjoining property. People don't realize that all it takes is a little spark or a little bit of ember flying out and WOOSH - it ignites the whole pasture before you can do anything about it.

It's so bad that I hate to leave the place, not that I could do much if a fire came through. I can understand why people are so reluctant to evacuate.

We had our first fires here the weekend after Thanksgiving. They were on all the networks. The first ones were about two miles north of us. Luckily the wind was out of the south, so they went away from us. The high winds apparently damaged electric lines, a transformer popped, and the fire was off and running.

Day before yesterday a fire jumped the highway west of Duncan. They evacuated at least one neighborhood. The fire never got into the homes. I think one backyard storage building burned because the roof caught on fire from sparks. But several houses nearer the highway burned completely up. One house was sort of a landmark and they ran a story about it in the paper. The people grabbed their car keys and ran. But they both had the same set of keys, so they wound up with one car and the clothes on their back.

We drove down to Ringgold, TX the day after that fire. Man, it's bad there. The post office burned, but the school is still there. I wonder if they'll rebuild the post office? Some of the older people are saying they won't rebuild. They had evacuated the entire town of Nocona, but I didn't hear that it burned.

Our weather people are saying we'll have less than normal rainfall through March. They don't say what will happen after then, but that's a pretty dry part of the year in normal years.

It's a terrible situation and I understand New Mexico is having problems with fires, too? I didn't know East Texas was dry. But at least people are still eating beef. :)

Check out the Drought Monitor and Drought Forecast on the NOAA website. The bullseye for this thing is northeast Texas and southeast Oklahoma. The drought has major parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana in it grasp. According to NOAA it is the driest March-December in its 111 years of record keeping! They are predicting the drought will expand with no relief in sight through the end of March, 2006.

sidney411":123bcokq said:
My Dad's place is in Erath County, I've got cows up there too. My grandparents place that burned in just down the road from my Dad's a few miles. It's so dry. My grandparents lost all their hay, they've been putting out little fires for over a week now. We traced the path of the fire back to a burn pit on the adjoining property. People don't realize that all it takes is a little spark or a little bit of ember flying out and WOOSH - it ignites the whole pasture before you can do anything about it.

2 guys in Dublin were fined 500 a piece today. Radio anouncement said. They claim they had no idea of the danger. Burning feed sacks right next to a coastal patch.

Scotty

We've had fires in this area many days and can smell them on many more days. We've got a pyrofreak on the loose around here who has started multiple fires on several windy weekends over the past few months. One of the four fires he started in a few minutes a while back was on our land. We had already moved the cattle off because of water so that wasn't a worry. Thank God it missed the barns and the fence on the road was all T-posts and pipe corners/stretchers. Still it burned a lot of good grass. It's bad enough to have to move cows off a place that still has good grass standing. Then to have a @#$%& burn that down makes you want to… Better not say it out loud. I'll just say that a lot of folks would like to be the first to catch him in the act. It would not be pretty. Everybody is writing down license plates on any vehicle they don't know. Sooner or later…

Can't say as I blame you Craig-Tx. To everyone in Texas and Oklahoma that is having to deal with this nightmare - may God keep and protect you. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully rain will come soon.