Oklahoma beef check off referendum

Help Support CattleToday:

Highpoint

Reaction score
Ok who what and why would be my question. Oklahoma is 49th in health and their university is set on protecting GMO's knowing full well the public is speaking loud and clear so if it is to help sell more beef, my question would be how would they know how to do it. Also do cattlemen in Oklahoma just want to give money to them. Then also it appears California is fighting it.

If I can't figure this out wonder how the public will in order to know how to vote.

Anyone can vote and as many times as you want tells me all I need to know.

NEWS RELEASE Contact: Gretchen Reiter 405.235.4391 or [email protected]
Oklahoma Beef Checkoff Vote This Fall
Beef producers to decide on State Level Checkoff
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - This fall, Oklahoma beef producers will have the opportunity to vote for a state beef checkoff, as a state-based addition to the current U.S. Beef Checkoff. Oklahoma Beef Checkoff assessment of $1 per head would be managed by Oklahoma cattlemen and women and used to market, promote and educate consumers about beef and beef producers. Additionally, the Oklahoma Beef Checkoff will be refundable.
"Unlike the U.S. program, which requires that fifty cents of every dollar collected be sent to the Cattlemen's Beef Promotion and Research Board for programs, the entire additional $1 will stay in Oklahoma and Oklahoma beef producers decide where and how to invest those Checkoff dollars," said Weston Givens, a rancher from Arnett, Okla.
Oklahoma would follow Texas and 14 other states who have already adopted a state beef checkoff program. As last year's defeat of Question 777 showed us, we as producers need to do more to promote the heritage of beef in Oklahoma and the future of the industry – if not for ourselves, then for our families.
Any beef producer, regardless of age, who would be required to pay the assessment is eligible to vote in the referendum. Eligible voters may vote on November 1, 2017, at a county extension office during their normal office hours or request a mail-in ballot between October 2-20,2017, by calling 405-235-4391. All mail-in ballots must be postmarked by October 27, 2017; otherwise, they will be invalid.
According to a 2014 economic study by Dr. Harry Kaiser of Cornell University, the Beef U.S. Beef Checkoff program yields $11.20 return for every $1 invested.
"Imagine how much value an additional dollar would add for Oklahoma producers – we have the ability to face challenges head on and the opportunity to shape the future of the beef industry," Givens said. "I ask you to join me in voting Yes for an Oklahoma Beef Checkoff."
For more information about the vote go to www.oklahomabeefcheckoff.com

Highpoint":3rdxdv26 said:
Ok who what and why would be my question. Oklahoma is 49th in health and their university is set on protecting GMO's knowing full well the public is speaking loud and clear so if it is to help sell more beef, my question would be how would they know how to do it. Also do cattlemen in Oklahoma just want to give money to them. Then also it appears California is fighting it.

If I can't figure this out wonder how the public will in order to know how to vote.
Rule of thumb. Do the opposite of California most sensible solution

they started the ky checkoff and didn't know what to do at all with all the money. I asked for my money back. Now that I see they are actually doing things and promoting beef, I let them keep the money.

ga.prime":7a15wd4q said:
According to a 2014 economic study by Dr. Harry Kaiser of Cornell University, the Beef U.S. Beef Checkoff program yields $11.20 return for every $1 invested.
"Imagine how much value an additional dollar would add for Oklahoma producers

With an 11:1 return it seem more profitable to just sign your cow checks over to them and you'll all get rich and become mega-ranchers. :lol2:

We don't even have pencils and coloring books to give the kids at the school farm days. But we do have the money for fancy cook books, catered meals and a new truck. Crap is fixing on hitting the fan tomorrow at GCA, the boss is heading to Macon for a cattlemen's meeting.

True Grit Farms":2gblbz18 said:
We don't even have pencils and coloring books to give the kids at the school farm days. But we do have the money for fancy cook books, catered meals and a new truck. Crap is fixing on hitting the fan tomorrow at GCA, the boss is heading to Macon for a cattlemen's meeting.

But you are getting back $11.20 for every dollar you put in. Speaking of the cookbook, have you tried to order it from their website? Just go to their website and try and find it. You can't. They pawn the sale of this and all other promotional items to someone else by directing you to this link with the assurance its not a fake website. Here is the link - hit it and tell me how this has anything to do with cattle. https://chameleonusa.net/

In all fairness, if you enter the code they give you then enter all the mandatory personal information I think it will eventually get to a section where you can purchase things they sell that maybe promotes beef. I think because I didn't go further because it just didn't seem worth the squeeze. I am surprised they don't ask for my social security number. In the day of Amazon and internet sales websites all this nonsense seems retarded but by law I have to fund it. :bang: :bang:

Out-of-state producers can vote at any Oklahoma County Extension office on November 1, 2017, or by requesting a ballot by mail from the Oklahoma Beef Checkoff Ballot Committee. Mail-in ballots must be requested between October 2-20, 2017,

IF I VOTE IN PERSON, SHOULD I GO TO THE COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE WHERE MY CATTLE ARE LOCATED OR WHERE I LIVE?

Eligible producers may vote at any Oklahoma County Extension office, regardless of where your cattle are located or where you live.

I don't live in Oklahoma, but own and/or sale cattle in Oklahoma, can I vote?
Yes, any beef producer, who would be required under the referendum to pay the state assessment is eligible to vote. Out-of-state producers can vote at any Oklahoma County Extension office on November 1, 2017, or by requesting a ballot by mail from the Oklahoma Beef Checkoff Ballot Committee. Mail-in ballots must be requested between October 2-20, 2017, by calling 405-235-4391 or emailing [email protected]. Completed mail-in ballots must be returned directly to the Oklahoma Beef Checkoff Ballot Committee, postmarked by October 27, 2017.

Cross-7":229ullcm said:
Anyone can vote and as many times as you want tells me all I need to know.

Yes anyone can vote but it sounds like a new tax so my vote would be no. Refunds can disappear with a vote of the board whoever is on it.

Also still haven't seen who handles the money and where it goes or why another state would fight it.

Oklahoma years ago started an association for new businesses called Comp Sourse and it did help business get work comp insurance for less but then all of a sudden wealthy people took it over and it no longer belongs to the people of Oklahoma as has billions in it. In fact you can't find out who owns it now or when it went out of the publics hands.

No - certainly more information is needed.

Turkeybird":3skkxrqr said:
Highpoint":3skkxrqr said:

Well at least California has awakened to the lies of pharma corporations who talked the farmer into chemicals that has about lost US sales in many products. No I do not agree with the tree huggers but then I also know representatives like Frank Lucas voted to release genetically altered alfalfa along with Pat Roberts of Kansas and heaven help us as these plants start to fail. Both receive lots of money from big Agra. It wouldn't be as bad if the neighbors alfalfa seeds didn't take over yours but it does and the farmer again looses.

Again I probably need more information. I do believe Oklahoma cattle can be one of the healthiest items on a persons plate if grass fed and not fed corn, soy, cotton seeds, or canola. And now GMO alfalfa. I am just one of millions now and tv ads saying different would just show the backwards knowledge of a probably at one time great association.

Highpoint":1z1dfkq4 said:
Turkeybird":1z1dfkq4 said:
Highpoint":1z1dfkq4 said:

Well at least California has awakened to the lies of pharma corporations who talked the farmer into chemicals that has about lost US sales in many products. No I do not agree with the tree huggers but then I also know representatives like Frank Lucas voted to release genetically altered alfalfa along with Pat Roberts of Kansas and heaven help us as these plants start to fail. Both receive lots of money from big Agra. It wouldn't be as bad if the neighbors alfalfa seeds didn't take over yours but it does and the farmer again looses.

Again I probably need more information. I do believe Oklahoma cattle can be one of the healthiest items on a persons plate if grass fed and not fed corn, soy, cotton seeds, or canola. And now GMO alfalfa. I am just one of millions now and tv ads saying different would just show the backwards knowledge of a probably at one time great association.

By the way big Agra took over the state universities years ago and if you say you are into natural or organics they jump to hang up the phone as their money goes to research of changing genetically altered anything. I know as I have been testing a product out of Kansas that is suppose to increase grass and supply added nutrients through the grass to cattle. When I called to ask they were still in the dark ages. How would they know to promote healthy anything when they do not know the first thing about why something is healthy.

Latest posts