Oklahoma AG vs Agriculture

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
OK so it's a stupid subject line but I was reading in the paper this morning that talks broke down between the OK AG's office and Poultry producers here in the Illinois River watershed. That would be mostly, NE Oklahoma, SW Missouri and NW Arkansas.

Texas was in on this last round of talks but I didn't read far enough into the story to know why they were there....

Anyway, the controversy is over the amount of phosphorus that ends up in the "Scenic" Illinois River in OK.

Long and short of the breakdown in talks is that the OK AG is out to stop poultry producers many of which are hay and cattle producers from utlilizing chicken litter as fertilizer. If they succeed it will be one less inexpensive source of fertilizer and a plentiful one at that is available for use to us in this area.

The paper alluded to the fact that banning the use of chicken litter would cause hardships for farmers and ranchers in this neck of the woods.

I like to keep things as pristine as possible but someone needs to shorten the reins on this dude. JMO

I agree - in my opinion he's just trying to make a point & further his political career. If he isn't careful some AR chicken farmer is going to hunt him down and put this thing to rest the redneck way.... He can't imagine how much grief he is causing these farmers that have worked their butts off for years and were just starting to make a little money from their poultry houses. We've even seen (& ran off) private investigators taking pictures of people cleaning out their poultry houses. We all know that you can do about anything with a digital picture these days - who knows what they are showing the judges. I can't believe how far he has taken this!! :mad:

I just wish they would de-oderize it before they spread it (yuck and double yuck)
Sure does make the grass grow

Latest posts