Okay I'm going to go political!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":12w4jy6s said:
Bright Raven":12w4jy6s said:
Alan":12w4jy6s said:
My friend spoke with her son last night, they still have not been paid. They were informed pay is coming soon along with all the back pay due. For me, it is disappointing our government is really to use the military personnel in a harmful manner to push some of their's agenda. While she is upset about the non pay issue also she is curious to see if he ha s learned anything about budgeting money, lol.

Alan. Not all departments cut their own checks. This has me wondering if a civil service agency cuts DOD checks. For example, EPA did not cut checks, it was farmed out to another agency.

On of my problems is the military was grouped into the "non vital" group.... my other difficulties with this issue would no doubt be too political for CT.

I got my civil service check. I don't want anyone to be concerned for me. :hide:

Bright Raven":3inynxnr said:
Alan":3inynxnr said:
Bright Raven":3inynxnr said:
Alan. Not all departments cut their own checks. This has me wondering if a civil service agency cuts DOD checks. For example, EPA did not cut checks, it was farmed out to another agency.

On of my problems is the military was grouped into the "non vital" group.... my other difficulties with this issue would no doubt be too political for CT.

I got my civil service check. I don't want anyone to be concerned for me. :hide:

Good point! I'm still getting mail from all the federal agencies after me!

Alan:

The reason pay was held on the subject military person is because the DoD payroll is administered by a civilian agency - Defense Finance and Accounting Service. They also serve other agencies outside the DoD.

In 1991, the Secretary of Defense created the Defense Finance and Accounting Service to standardize, consolidate, and improve accounting and financial functions throughout the DoD. The intent was to reduce the cost of the Department's finance and accounting operations while strengthening its financial management.

DFAS pays all DoD military and civilian personnel, retirees and annuitants, as well as major DoD contractors and vendors. DFAS also supports customers outside the DoD in support of electronic government initiatives. Customers include the Executive Office of the President, the Department of Energy, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Broadcasting Board of Governors.

Edited to add: I am almost positive the Defense Finance and Accounting Service also handled EPA's payroll.

I'm always amazed how some people can't save money to live on for 3 days.

Many want their kids to join the military to gain discipline. Some starvation might help toward that end.

djinwa":3isrpgmg said:

Many want their kids to join the military to gain discipline. Some starvation might help toward that end.
Radical organizations hijack passenger planes and blow up the world trade center, Isis infiltrators probably in our borders right now to set off bombs, N Korea working all the time to develop a weapon to attack us, half our planes unable to fly because of no money for spare parts, Navy lacks funds to adequately train it's people, etc., etc., etc..

Seems to me all this furor about temporary suspension of paychecks is blown all to heck out of proportion.

djinwa":3eyms7py said:

You think the military members should 'starve'? :frowns: :roll:
I'm assuming the Marine hasn't been in service very long..2yrs or less. If so, and a PFC (e-2), his base pay is around $450/week...take home, less than that.

It's a tactic they use to blame the sitting president. A large portion of the country is either military or was at one point. Unfortunately if you join you are a pawn in a political game here and when you fight over seas.

greybeard":1o2dct58 said:
djinwa":1o2dct58 said:

I'm assuming the Marine hasn't been in service very long..2yrs or less. If so, and a PFC (e-2), his base pay is around $450/week...take home, less than that.

This "kid" has been in the Marines for about a year and a half, recently promoted to Corporal. To say the men and women of or armed forces, the kids who are first to be sent into the hostile gun fire of war, should starve so they can learn how to save money is beyond ridiculous. Illegal aliens are getting handouts at tax payers expense everyday......I pay for the illegals life in my country! To say we should starve the men and women who volunteer to risk their lives for me is....... not paying them should be criminal!

I'll also say I believe they have received their pay at this point.

Ryder":31su15th said:
djinwa":31su15th said:

Radical organizations hijack passenger planes and blow up the world trade center, Isis infiltrators probably in our borders right now to set off bombs, N Korea working all the time to develop a weapon to attack us, half our planes unable to fly because of no money for spare parts, Navy lacks funds to adequately train it's people, etc., etc., etc..

Seems to me all this furor about temporary suspension of paychecks is blown all to heck out of proportion.

Fear, fear, fear.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." - H. L. Mencken

"Our country is now geared to an arms economy bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and an incessant propaganda of fear." -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Bin Laden's strategy of fear to bankrupt us worked well. So easy to get "conservatives to blow trillions of dollars. We'll keep doing it. Bush doubled military spending and now we are told we need to rebuild the military.

Bin Laden in 2004:

Rather, the policy of the White House that demands the opening of war fronts to keep busy their various corporations - whether they be working in the field of arms or oil or reconstruction - has helped al-Qaida to achieve these enormous results.

And so it has appeared to some analysts and diplomats that the White House and us are playing as one team towards the economic goals of the United States, even if the intentions differ.

And it was to these sorts of notions and their like that the British diplomat and others were referring in their lectures at the Royal Institute of International Affairs. [When they pointed out that] for example, al-Qaida spent $500,000 on the event, while America, in the incident and its aftermath, lost - according to the lowest estimate - more than $500 billion.

Meaning that every dollar of al-Qaida defeated a million dollars by the permission of Allah, besides the loss of a huge number of jobs.

As for the size of the economic deficit, it has reached record astronomical numbers estimated to total more than a trillion dollars.

And even more dangerous and bitter for America is that the mujahidin recently forced Bush to resort to emergency funds to continue the fight in Afghanistan and Iraq, which is evidence of the success of the bleed-until-bankruptcy plan - with Allah's permission.

Alan":2bennvv8 said:
greybeard":2bennvv8 said:
djinwa":2bennvv8 said:

This "kid" has been in the Marines for about a year and a half, recently promoted to Corporal. To say the men and women of or armed forces, the kids who are first to be sent into the hostile gun fire of war, should starve so they can learn how to save money is beyond ridiculous. Illegal aliens are getting handouts at tax payers expense everyday......I pay for the illegals life in my country! To say we should starve the men and women who volunteer to risk their lives for me is....... not paying them should be criminal!

I'll also say I believe they have received their pay at this point.

It is possible to be against paying for illegals, and also wanting kids to learn discipline. I started cutting groceries to my kids around age 16, so they would learn to work and save, and haven't had a problem since.

Somewhere I got the idea many here were for personal responsibility, and no handouts.

How is it that high school graduates don't know how to eat oatmeal?

I have young guys at my work that ask for an advance on their check because they are forever one day short. Yet they can afford cell phones, booze, cigarettes, partying, etc. How can they be that way when they got a diploma from the government?

At the school where my wife taught, before she got fed up, they made all kids march through the breakfast line, because they were potentially starving. Apparently their HS diploma wielding parents couldn't figure out how to fry an egg and make toast, for a whopping 20 cents.

All this fear of hunger, and somehow we're in an obesity epidemic, and lifespans shortening.

As for sending kids into hostile gun fire, actually we should all be willing to do that if we were actually attacked. At least I plan to be shooting when the Russians come over the hill. I'm not going to wait for the cavalry to show up.

Instead we make up fake wars and send kids to the opposite end of the earth, so somebody can make money. Read, War is a Racket, by General Smedley Butler, written in the 1930's. We now fight for oil and defense contractors - then it was for the fruit companies and defense contractors.

The only attacks we've had here were retaliation for us meddling over there, and starving their kids (500,000+ Iraqi kids died from our sanctions). Maybe we ought to try leaving them alone.

I made the mistake of questioning a military member, and the military is considered to be sacred. It is to have unlimited spending, and there should be no limits on the number of countries we can occupy. Several attempts have been made for decades to audit the military, with no success. We have no idea how much is being spent, which makes many happy.

Thousands of kids come back maimed and debilitated and mentally ill, for no good purpose, yet we are not to question anything military. If you really care about the troops, don't question the stupid wars, just make sure they get paid on time.

I was an officer in Air Force, but left after 9 years at the rank of Major, because I didn't like seeing the fraud, waste and abuse, and misuse of the military stirring up trouble around the world. Our national Offense.

The biggest interest of military members I saw was getting rank and benefits, and playing war, not the Constitution to which they swore an oath. Which Constitution demanded limits on the military and war.

I gave up a million or two in salary and retirement, and got a job in a warehouse starting at 8 bucks an hour, while feeding 3 kids. Now I get to listen to complaints from troops whose paycheck might be delayed a few days.

Do not fear, the federal government never runs out of money - it can always be printed. Government checks don't bounce - money to cover the trillion dollar deficits can be created out of thin air. Budgets and constitutions mean nothing.

BTW, $450 a week seems like plenty of money for a single young man, with full medical/dental, and perhaps other benefits/allowances (food/housing?) Have to consider the whole package.

djinwa":143202z0 said:
Instead we make up fake wars and send kids to the opposite end of the earth, so somebody can make money. Read, War is a Racket, by General Smedley Butler, written in the 1930's. We now fight for oil and defense contractors - then it was for the fruit companies and defense contractors.

The only attacks we've had here were retaliation for us meddling over there, and starving their kids (500,000+ Iraqi kids died from our sanctions). Maybe we ought to try leaving them alone.

I made the mistake of questioning a military member, and the military is considered to be sacred. It is to have unlimited spending, and there should be no limits on the number of countries we can occupy. Several attempts have been made for decades to audit the military, with no success. We have no idea how much is being spent, which makes many happy.

Thousands of kids come back maimed and debilitated and mentally ill, for no good purpose, yet we are not to question anything military. If you really care about the troops, don't question the stupid wars, just make sure they get paid on time.

I was an officer in Air Force, but left after 9 years at the rank of Major, because I didn't like seeing the fraud, waste and abuse, and misuse of the military stirring up trouble around the world. Our national Offense.

The biggest interest of military members I saw was getting rank and benefits, and playing war, not the Constitution to which they swore an oath. Which Constitution demanded limits on the military and war.

I gave up a million or two in salary and retirement, and got a job in a warehouse starting at 8 bucks an hour, while feeding 3 kids. Now I get to listen to complaints from troops whose paycheck might be delayed a few days.

Do not fear, the federal government never runs out of money - it can always be printed. Government checks don't bounce - money to cover the trillion dollar deficits can be created out of thin air. Budgets and constitutions mean nothing.

There are some interesting points in that long post. I shortened it a bit. Your point about shining some light on the military is a good one. Politicians have created an atmosphere where it has become sacrilege to question the military. When in fact, our military operations for 50 years has been one boondoggle after another.

This quote you posted is worth taking note of the issue of fear mongering:

"Our country is now geared to an arms economy bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and an incessant propaganda of fear." -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Latest posts