OK what about Terrell County, TX?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

ok I found some land in Terrell county TX for 185 an acre with well water available. The tracts are between 150-640 acres. What you guys think about this?

I do not want to come off looking like a hard *ss - but I think you need to sit down and evaluate some things:

I do not know where you are writing from but you need to look at things from a bit of a different slant.

If you are attempting to locate land that will handle up to 100 cattle - as per your original post - you will probably need more than 100 - 200 acres. Especially in most parts of Texas.

You are searching the internet and finding lower priced land and then asking "what do you think"? Well, remember - you get what you pay for. Those lower priced lands are certainly priced that way for a reason.

If you are considering locating in Texas - a place I do not live in, but have visited often and enjoyed very much - from your questions it sounds like you do not know the area very well. So, what I would do before running through every possible question on the board - and what I think you should do - is take a driving tour through the State. Take your wife / significant other and plan a tour.

Make a point of visiting ALL the places you might consider a possibility. Stop at the local government offices in each county and ask the ag rep about weather, soils, and such. Read - read - read. Everything you can get your hands on about where you want to buy. Do not - do not - do not - buy over the internet. Walk the ground first - and then follow the advice I sent you in a previous post.

Contact at least one real estate rep in each area for info. More if at all possible.

Once you have found the potential area that fits all of your requirements, then it is time to start a real serious land search. Remember the post I sent to you about additional costs.

I give you this advice because we could go on forever about "whaddya' think" and accomplish nothing. Be that as it may, as an ex-mil guy myself I toured dozens of parts of the world before settling where I am now. There are a pile of darned nice places in the ole U.S. of A. - land will not get cheaper, but land that is truly good land will not come cheap at any time.

Enjoy your dreams. To make them come true you will have to actually go there and see for yourself. If you find what you want, so much the better - if you do not - well then it was truly a valuable trip.

Regards

Bez

Terrell County is very sparce probably takes 10 to 20 acres per cow. And well water available means they haven't dug for it and it may or may not be there.

Supernewtocattle":1li6018b said:
ok I found some land in Terrell county TX for 185 an acre with well water available. The tracts are between 150-640 acres. What you guys think about this?

Ok "supernew"...even though "Bez" lives in Canada, he/she has a lot of good advice.

Texas land can vary 1000% from one county to another, even within the same county. Personal visit to an area is A MUST! Things like fences, terrain, grass, trees, road access, etc., etc.

"Good" livestock land in Texas (away from the hustle of a City area) will probably cost between $1,000 and $5,000 an acre. This is land with water already there (or in the ground ready to be pumped), good fences, some trees for shade, grass in good shape (not over-grazed with only sagebrush, mesquite, cacti, thistle, rocks, gulleys, and other negative things showing). One or more stock tanks (with water actually in them) present is a big plus.

VISUALLY INSPECT IN PERSON any land/property you are interested in.

If the property infrastructure is not there and in good shape, then it is a losing game to bring livestock in. Basic items mandatory: Good fences, water, road access, corral & load/unload facility.

All good answers. Would be helpful if you could decide on an area of the country first. Then do more research on the area to be sure it's what you want. Like Bill said, be sure to check it out in person before you buy. Do it several times. One thing that I can't emphasize enough is to try to talk to the people around the property. Nothing makes life more pleasant than good neighbors. But all it takes is one bad one to make life miserable day and night. Once you get your place, remember that you've got to BE a good neighbor to have 'em.

A little tip on how to find out what kind of folks are in the community. Stop by a local convenience store, 7-11, stop n go, whatever there is. Stop by several and just go get a pack of gum or a soda and engage the clerk in general light conversation. We found out that you can really tell what the majority of the folks are like by the clerks in those stores. You'ld be surprised at what an accurate view you can get that way.

dun

Texan":2adroh05 said:
All good answers. Would be helpful if you could decide on an area of the country first. Then do more research on the area to be sure it's what you want. Like Bill said, be sure to check it out in person before you buy. Do it several times. One thing that I can't emphasize enough is to try to talk to the people around the property. Nothing makes life more pleasant than good neighbors. But all it takes is one bad one to make life miserable day and night. Once you get your place, remember that you've got to BE a good neighbor to have 'em.

Don't mean to sound rude, but are you saying $185.00 an acre? I don't know of any land in Tx. for that price that would be good for rasing nothing cept maybe chigers. It's gotta be all rocks.

dg what is a chiger?

OK I am pretty much giving up on Texas land. I am going to do alot of research before I buy a parcel now. I am just trying to get the most for my money (which isn't much). I just assumed being in Texas, there would be a lot more resources (more stockyards, sale barns, feed stores, vets, etc.) I am going to try and find the most land with WATER, tillable land, ability to graze cattle, and some structures for 40-50K Thank you all for the advice, it was very helpful.

:)

I think for what you're looking for, you might be better off thinking about prices in terms of $/animal unit instead of $/acre. That will give you a better idea of what it will cost to run cattle on a place, without having to know what the carrying capacity is for a particular area. Ranch brokers will speak this language with you. Speculators and con men aren't as likely to. Good luck 'cause you will need a lot of it.

By the way, you don't have to rule out the whole State of Texas. The side you've been looking at is rocks and sand. The opposite side is grass and trees.

And dg is wrong. A chigger would starve to death everywhere I've been in Terrell County. Loving County, too.

Supernewtocattle":18eq1y7w said:
dg what is a chiger?

OK I am pretty much giving up on Texas land. I am going to do alot of research before I buy a parcel now. I am just trying to get the most for my money (which isn't much). I just assumed being in Texas, there would be a lot more resources (more stockyards, sale barns, feed stores, vets, etc.) I am going to try and find the most land with WATER, tillable land, ability to graze cattle, and some structures for 40-50K Thank you all for the advice, it was very helpful.

come to arkansas we have chiggers ,ticks and rocks but land is cheaper

Supernewtocattle":2wwaz0pi said:
dg what is a chiger?

Cgiggers are a small parasite that puts a feeding tube through the skin. When the chigger feeds and leaves it leaves the feeding tube and they itch horribly. A few years ago my wife got them around her waist, she ended having to go to emergency and have cortisone and sedative medications.
If I remember correctly, in TX they call them "red bugs"

dun

A lady I know inherited 50,000 acres near El Paso a few years ago. Everyone in her office was oohing and ahhing over her new land holding. She made an offer to everyone present to trade all of that property for any 100 acres in Brazoria County, Tx. No one has taken her up on that offer yet and the offer still stands.

Dun, it seems to me that most Texans use the name chigger and red bug interchangeably, usually preceded by an expletive. The good news is that the fire ants have just about wiped them out, along with most of the ticks, in much of the eastern half of the state.

Texan":3qne97gv said:
I think for what you're looking for, you might be better off thinking about prices in terms of $/animal unit instead of $/acre. That will give you a better idea of what it will cost to run cattle on a place, without having to know what the carrying capacity is for a particular area. Ranch brokers will speak this language with you. Speculators and con men aren't as likely to. Good luck 'cause you will need a lot of it.

By the way, you don't have to rule out the whole State of Texas. The side you've been looking at is rocks and sand. The opposite side is grass and trees.

And dg is wrong. A chigger would starve to death everywhere I've been in Terrell County. Loving County, too.

Texan, could you elaborate on the $/animal unit comment please ?

Where did you get this information from? Terrell is about 20 miles east of Dallas, there is no way there is land for $200 an acre. I dont care if it is solid rock, you have been misinformed about the price! $2000-$3000 an acre is more likely. The parts of Terrell I've seen is mostly black soil, very good farmland. I was born and raised in Forney, about 5 miles from Terrell and still have friends that live in Terrell.

Yep, two entirely different places, Terrell County is out there in the middle of nowhere. About 100 miles northeast of Big Bend National Park, north of the hook in the Rio Grande.

Sounds like you are looking on ebay. I have looked at those ads, I would be VERY suspicious of any land listed on ebay. There has got to be something up with it. A scam or something. Most everything I saw whould not even be suitable to run a jackrabbit on much less cattle. Be aware and be careful what you do. TALK TO A REAL ESTATE PERSON in the area you want to research, actually, talk to several.

Yeah I agree with you, I am probably not going to buy any land in Texas, well at least not in West Texas for sure. I just don't understand how the guys selling this barren land have 100% or 99% positive feedback? Maybe the buyers are just buying it for speculation, hoping some sort of municipal water will be run out the in the "distant" future. Yeah I think we have chiggers here in Georgia too. I have never had them though. I am looking at Missouri and South Dakota land now. I find anything interesting, I'll post it.

Northern MO is more expensive, more inhabited and more liberal then southern MO. But very little land in the southern part is suitable for much of a crop system, but it's dandy for cows.

dun

Supernewtocattle":2xcv825i said:
Yeah I agree with you, I am probably not going to buy any land in Texas, well at least not in West Texas for sure. I just don't understand how the guys selling this barren land have 100% or 99% positive feedback? Maybe the buyers are just buying it for speculation, hoping some sort of municipal water will be run out the in the "distant" future. Yeah I think we have chiggers here in Georgia too. I have never had them though. I am looking at Missouri and South Dakota land now. I find anything interesting, I'll post it.

Latest posts