Ok.....my turn

Help Support CattleToday:

jersey lilly

Reaction score
We just bought a bull, from a neighbor, he's 3 1/2 years old, and he and another bull just came off pasture with about 50 head of cows that calved in December and January. I got to see the replacement heifers from two seasons ago that came outta him that are calvin now, and also his calves. They all looked real good. Sent an older brangus bull to the sale last saturday, and replaced him with this angus. The fella we bought him from is my hubby's uncle, so I know his program. Since he raises commercial cattle he didnt get the papers on this bull, but we are attempting to at least see what his epd's were at 18 mo.

Here he is, in his "workin clothes" we brought him home, put him in the smaller lot with a group of 5 commercial heifers that my daughter is raisin for 4H. With the drought we've had, and the shortage of hay in this area, I don't think he did too bad this winter. Gonna leave him in there for a while, then turn him out.
2006-03-26-001-New-Bull.jpg

I know he's not the "best" there is, but he's not the worst either, and is an improvement over the one that went to town saturday.

This bull could really use a bit of rib shape. I could pick him apart quite a bit, but he's in your program and might be fine for what you're doing, he would not work for me.

eeeeekkkkkkk, i shouldnt say much, good luck with the bull he looks like a 12 month old bull to me, not a 3 year old, he looks slipery should be a easy calving bull , but dont expect big fast growing robust calves from him ;-)

Mrs. Lilly I don't know what you are shooting for at the ranch.
If you are targeting terminal cross calve for the salebarn or a seedstock producer.
I have seen worse bulls, you are doing yourself a favor with this boy?
I have a real hang up about bull quality as he is half your herd overnight. A crappy cow is bad a crappy bull is a disaster. You are losing money on ever calf from day one from the salebarn to replacement hiefers. Cattle ranching is the long haul business you are trying to step change to the next best production cow and bull each generation you retain thats why we live so long we never get to that pefect cow.
With this boy the train has jumped the tracks and taken a dirt road. I know he has his working clothes on which is good I think he is ready for the pocket watch.

Latest posts