OK, Just Suppose

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

First, I am OLD like Dunmovin (maybe older!) and I have a small retirement place in the Ozarks.

I currently have 11 very healthy Angus and Black Baldie cows. 9 Calves new born to less than a year old, and a "registered" (though I did not buy the papers so I do not know Fullblood or Purebred)younger Angus Bull. He is the best looking Angus Bull for many miles around, (and I often get visitors just wanting to drop by and say how good he looks and is he for sale Cheap?). The cows came to me bred to this Angus bull, a Hereford Bull, and a Cahrolais Bull (the three bulls shared the same pastures.) The stock I bought was a portion of a much larger herd that was being dispersed because of finances.

I also have an Angus steer that is designated for my Freezer someday. I bought him as he was at auction for 39 cents a pound as a 500 pound weanling. (as Dun will testify, prices in Humansville can be lower than other parts of the country.)

I also have Three registered Shorthorn cows. They would be fullblood beef Shorthorn registry were it not for a milking shorthorn in their background somewhere. So they are Purebred Shorthorn (beef) registry.

One of the Shorthorns is a Lead Cow, some what bosy, and yet also wary of people. It takes her a long time to trust any newcomer. Smart as a whip. We can for this discussion call her "Dorothy." Dorothy is a Red and White cow standing about 60" to the shoulder (top of her head is well over 6'). She is almost 6 years old, and has a head on her that is twice the size of my Black Baldies. When she is bagged up and feeding a calf her bag is about thre times the size of the baldies. When dry you cannot hardly see any bag at all. I have Dorothy's Daughter, Lilly, who is pure long haired white. Lilly's pappa was one of those white Grand National KA'BA Club Calf types that everyone was making a lot of commotion about a few years back. She is 4 years old, has the same traits as her mother, though at 4 is a few inches shorter than her mom. Same head size and intelligence. The last shorthorn is "Rose" and she is full Red, about 5 years and more timid than the rest. She is smart and gets to the food first, but is bullied and usually has to eat after the more dominate cows have fed.

My Bull has trouble even getting his head onto the three shorthorn's backs. I have never seen him breeding them, but one of the neighbors has and said he looked like an acrobat, as his hind legs were not on the soil!

Dorothy and Lilly both are showing physical signs of being in perhaps 1st Trimester.

What type, color, and quality of calves can I expect?

Eaglewerks



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

A Black Angus is either a fullblood for registry purposes or he isn't a black Angus. The black angus association doesn't have any breeding up program. But for argument sake let's claim he is pure black angus, no other breed dilution ever, any where in his family tree. Everything he sires will be black, or grey out of the white cows. The Hereford bulls calves will be red if out of a red cow, or black or red out of a black cow, yellow out of the white cow. Charolais calves will be grey or yellow, or white from the white cow. Dorthys calf should be solid by the angus, spotted by the Hereford and spotted but hard to detect by the charolais. How does that sound?

dun

> First, I am OLD like Dunmovin
> (maybe older!) and I have a small
> retirement place in the Ozarks.

> I currently have 11 very healthy
> Angus and Black Baldie cows. 9
> Calves new born to less than a
> year old, and a
> "registered" (though I
> did not buy the papers so I do not
> know Fullblood or Purebred)younger
> Angus Bull. He is the best looking
> Angus Bull for many miles around,
> (and I often get visitors just
> wanting to drop by and say how
> good he looks and is he for sale
> Cheap?). The cows came to me bred
> to this Angus bull, a Hereford
> Bull, and a Cahrolais Bull (the
> three bulls shared the same
> pastures.) The stock I bought was
> a portion of a much larger herd
> that was being dispersed because
> of finances.

> I also have an Angus steer that is
> designated for my Freezer someday.
> I bought him as he was at auction
> for 39 cents a pound as a 500
> pound weanling. (as Dun will
> testify, prices in Humansville can
> be lower than other parts of the
> country.)

> I also have Three registered
> Shorthorn cows. They would be
> fullblood beef Shorthorn registry
> were it not for a milking
> shorthorn in their background
> somewhere. So they are Purebred
> Shorthorn (beef) registry.

> One of the Shorthorns is a Lead
> Cow, some what bosy, and yet also
> wary of people. It takes her a
> long time to trust any newcomer.
> Smart as a whip. We can for this
> discussion call her
> "Dorothy." Dorothy is a
> Red and White cow standing about
> 60" to the shoulder (top of
> her head is well over 6'). She is
> almost 6 years old, and has a head
> on her that is twice the size of
> my Black Baldies. When she is
> bagged up and feeding a calf her
> bag is about thre times the size
> of the baldies. When dry you
> cannot hardly see any bag at all.
> I have Dorothy's Daughter, Lilly,
> who is pure long haired white.
> Lilly's pappa was one of those
> white Grand National KA'BA Club
> Calf types that everyone was
> making a lot of commotion about a
> few years back. She is 4 years
> old, has the same traits as her
> mother, though at 4 is a few
> inches shorter than her mom. Same
> head size and intelligence. The
> last shorthorn is "Rose"
> and she is full Red, about 5 years
> and more timid than the rest. She
> is smart and gets to the food
> first, but is bullied and usually
> has to eat after the more dominate
> cows have fed.

> My Bull has trouble even getting
> his head onto the three
> shorthorn's backs. I have never
> seen him breeding them, but one of
> the neighbors has and said he
> looked like an acrobat, as his
> hind legs were not on the soil!

> Dorothy and Lilly both are showing
> physical signs of being in perhaps
> 1st Trimester.

> What type, color, and quality of
> calves can I expect?

> Eaglewerks
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Thanks Dun! Since Dorothy, Lilly and Rose have only been exposed to the Angus Bull, I guess I will then get mostly Black or Grey. I wonder what type of "stature" the off-spring will have. Will they favor the small stature and LBW of the Angus or might they be larger?

Eaglewerks

> A Black Angus is either a
> fullblood for registry purposes or
> he isn't a black Angus. The black
> angus association doesn't have any
> breeding up program. But for
> argument sake let's claim he is
> pure black angus, no other breed
> dilution ever, any where in his
> family tree. Everything he sires
> will be black, or grey out of the
> white cows. The Hereford bulls
> calves will be red if out of a red
> cow, or black or red out of a
> black cow, yellow out of the white
> cow. Charolais calves will be grey
> or yellow, or white from the white
> cow. Dorthys calf should be solid
> by the angus, spotted by the
> Hereford and spotted but hard to
> detect by the charolais. How does
> that sound?

> dun

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Yes, maybe! That's one of those "how high is up" type of questions. You can use the same bull on the same cow and get different results everytime. We have a short squatty old cow, bred to the same bull of moderate height we got one moderate, one tall, nothing squatty like her. Yet bred to a bull that is a FS 8 we got a little short legged thing. It's suaully figured that the calf will be between the parents in height, but sometimes more like the father sometimes the other way around. And how they are born is not necessarrily what you get. We had a heifer born only weighed 35 lbs and came up to my knee. At weaning she was about the height of most of the calves and the second lightest. We just worked them 60 days post weaning, she is now the tallest and 2nd heaviest. Her half brother out of her mothers mother weighed 1300 lbs at yearling and was taller then my shoulder. These are angus cows bred to an angus bull (FS 8). Go figure

dun

> Thanks Dun! Since Dorothy, Lilly
> and Rose have only been exposed to
> the Angus Bull, I guess I will
> then get mostly Black or Grey. I
> wonder what type of
> "stature" the off-spring
> will have. Will they favor the
> small stature and LBW of the Angus
> or might they be larger?

> Eaglewerks
 
Top