Ok, I'm stumped.............

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Well, I mentioned on another thread that I picked up several young cattle and calves a few weeks ago from a sale that were going for very little money.......I got a great deal......no culls that i can see...but I followed all of the tried and not so true advice about bringing in new stock...I follow the Dr. Jeffers methods of vaccinate, casterate, worm, etc all at once upon arrival, and then leave them to eat and drink, under calm and stress free conditions for the next few days..........THEN treat any sick cattle as they appear.......although he did mention in one of his books that the cattle handled this way will likely shows signs of sickness for a day or more........well. they did and thats ok..all but one looks like new again............

She is a 350 lb (yes I know likely way too light, and was no doubt weaned on the trailer) white face herford...........I like herfords.........anyway she is not criticly ill, but she is feeling very poorly with that head hanging low, and laying down alot.........so, I suppose she was sucking mom all the way up to the time she was shoved on the trailer........

she will drink water.........but not much interested in even the very best hay or alfalfa......and grain seems foreign to her as of yet..............

I intially vaccinated with a mlv, etc, but after seeing how bad she looked and unable to bounce back like the rest...I started to treat her with Nuflor...then checked the very latest treatments for non-specific illnesses and found that Nuflor is NO longer recommended for animals under 6 months old... again.. the late Dr. Jeffers.........so, I switched to my no fail drug....Baytril.....and still.........no real change.....

I am tubing her with electrolytes, and extra dextrose for energy and warmth on these cooler days...........and last night started her back on powdered milk maybe getting her back to a more normal feeding for her.....but everything has to be forced on her, and although she struggles very little in the headgate..she will callapse for a while afterwords..............

Oh Milkmaid.....too bad you don't live much closer to me..she would be all yours.........whilst I don't think she is moribound.... she is just too much time and effort as I am still rolling corn stover and cutting late hay for bedding....oh my......

Well............I guess she will go into a hutch today by herself.....where I can monitor her much better as well as her feed intake... and keep the milk going for a while..............as well, she will be going off the Baytril ($97.00 a 100 ml bottle now!) and going on SMZ.....see if it makes a difference......

Now the jist of this long winded story...I am not too proud nor do I think I know so much that I can't ask everyone else for advice or comment....anyone? :cboy:

Oh yeah..forgot that part... bad sign..a subnormal 99 + or -....she has a sheet on her at the moment to keep the chill off without heating her up to much......would rather see a fever I think...... :cboy:

Dun..your the man...any ideas? :cboy:

I'm concerned about the low temp. The only times I've seen it was very sick animals that were shutting down or those that had gotten into something toxic/poisonous.

I'm sorry to hear about your calf. You did great with the rest of them, so you have beaten the odds. It does seem logical to give them all of the stress at one time, instead of dragging it out because they are going to have the shipping fever anyway.

I'm sure that you are much more knowledgeable about this than I am, but I never saw anyone give the advice of B-vitamins.

I bought this stuff called PowerPunch at TSC. You give it to them one ounce every 100 pounds. It has all the vitamins plus yogurt cultures in it. You could maybe mix it with the electrolytes for her.

I've never had to tube a 350-pounder, thank God.

Good luck with your calf. I wish you the best and speedy recovery for her.

Draxin or Exenel. Plus and anti inflamatory.
The first two are designed for situtations like this. One shot lasts for 10-15 days depending on the drug. Less chance for stress than with multiple treatments
A these are expensive but, a vet can sell you on shot full. I have heard that feedlots in alberta are using this and seeing excellent results.
Good luck
Got a place where this animal can go under a heat lamp for a few or even one day to warm up?

RR
edit, good chance this is a PI calf and the shots of ML just brought out what was happening behind the scenes
edit again I think it's the exenel that has a 2 day withdrawl becasue it is given in the ear but lasts for 14 days...go figure

dun":a3x1j1xa said:
I'm concerned about the low temp. The only times I've seen it was very sick animals that were shutting down or those that had gotten into something toxic/poisonous.
I agree. It sounds like the chronic kind of calf .The kind that you have used everything made and still can't get him below 103, but thats not the case. I'd check the thermometer.
LGodlove suggested Fortified B complex to that I would add probiotic to try and improve appetite.

Larry

rockridgecattle":vw96hynn said:
Got a place where this animal can go under a heat lamp for a few or even one day to warm up?

I am always literally amazed at what a little heat lamp can do... I'm also all for quarantining a sick animal but perhaps allow her to share a common fence so she can imitate the others eating

A 350 lb. should already be eating more than moma's milk weaned or not. I agree with dun sounds like it is shutting down. Check with the vet about something to stimulate. probably too late. If I remember you purchased several head and different ages, its hard to keep a eye on all of them, but it is very important that you see them eat. Good luck.

dun":1rhql1bg said:

With the low temp I would agree but I am thinking along the line of internal injury at the barn. It's time for the vet.

Aaaah this evening after feeding all the others the very best of hay and grain... I put both in front of her alone...but alas, she would not partake of either...BUT...................temps are up to 100-101... seems like a good sign, and she is a bit more perky today..........even drinking well on her own.maybe, just maybe.......if forced to eat, and good supportive therapy, she might turn around , if not...oh well...........this is life and death.

I am one who would def. agree, there is a finite limit to the cost and effort one should put into treatments.......and fortunately she ain't even close.......lol

Thank goodness for cheap SMZ, other wise the trigger would have been pulled already. Only so much Batryl, Micatil, or Nuflor to be given until it's cost prohibitive.

Me thinks that some forced feeding with milk replacer, even if she should be weanable.....along with some ground high protein grains, might help as well, along with time......but there is a time when enough is enough..........

Saturday I go back to see if there are anymore 21 cent cattle and 39 cent calves..............the good thing is... if you loose some at these prices,, your not loosing much money........

and thats cheap coyote and hog bait! No sense digging a hole when it can be used to at least benefit the others indirectly right?
:cboy:

Got to have a good sense of humor to make it in this business.

I hope she makes it. The temperature rising is a very good thing.

Got to go hunting now . . .

WEll, I am one who constantly asks others for follow up, so here goes.................

As of 7:35 pm this evening this calf was pronounced......dead. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

As she was of Jewish decent, obligitory graveside services will be held approx. 7:30 am saturday, (withing 24 hours after death as required by doctrine) there will be no actual burial, as she unselfishly donated her remains to be used as coyote bait.

Her last request was that instead of flowers, memorial donations may be made to your local starving farmer or rancher.

Cost of calf........$141.00 dollars, cost of treatment....less then $30.00....................cost of our special time and experiences together..........priceless........ :)

I will always remember the great times we shared...........the early morning feedings and that special look she shared with me everytime we got close..... was it affection...or possibly fear of being stuck with a needle again? Aaah that special connection.

In any case....... she will be very much missed........... and will be remembered always, or at least until I bring in another trailer load of cattle to vaccinate, doctor, and look after......

Go peacefully my friend.... to that huge pasture in the sky.........with never ending acres of lush green grass, the sweetest grains, and a forever flow of mother's milk.........RIP :(

TOO LITTLE TO LATE, BUT IF YOU CAN FIND THE DRENCH CALLED APPETITE PLUS, OR PASTE OR BOLUS CALLED VITACHARGE, THEY DO WORK WONDERS, USE IN YOUR USUAL RECEIVING PROGRAM, AND MAYBE FOLLOW UP AGAIN IF NECESSARY FOR A $1.00-$1.40 A DOSE, IT WILL REALLY SHINE ON THOSE SALE BARN CALVES.

Dale...you work for Biozyme, aka Vitaferm?? All post reference them...Good products but was just curious. :???: