OJ gets in carserated

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo":1beb2hkj said:
Calling Jo a slave driver is really such an insult. I prefer to use the term "straw boss". :roll:

"straw boss"

That would have been an insult here in North Georgia even in my time.

Wewild":ps3rztyw said:
grannysoo":ps3rztyw said:
Calling Jo a slave driver is really such an insult. I prefer to use the term "straw boss". :roll:

"straw boss"

That would have been an insult here in North Georgia even in my time.

I had to look the term up.
"'Origin of term: the boss attended to the grain going into the thresher; the second-man watched after the straw coming out and hence had little to do.'
Pretty accurate actually as some of the yahoos I've hired spend so much time on their dang cell phones we can't get nothing done. Seems only fair for me to pay them half wages since I only seem to get half their attention and only one hand cause the other is holding that stupid phone. I try to be patient but patience has its limits.

Toby L.":ps3rztyw said:
I'll stop at the store in the morning on the way to work,and if they forget something "oh well" maybe they'll think next time.

Do you ever have some workers who expect you to buy them lunch? I'll eat out of the truck most of the time since it might take me 30 minutes or longer to get to town. Either way you cut it, its going to kill about 1 1/2 hours of your day. On top of that, its awefully hard on you when you step out of the AC and back into the sauna. Its best not to make the transition.

Jo as for the cell phone deal I tell them if they got to talk on them I ain't got to pay them
I fired a guy one time for talking on one got in hot water from the union and had to go to a hearing but I won
We were setting a man hole and and he was lowering it in the hole and his phone rang and he answered it had 2 guys in the ditch and here he was talking on the phone instead of paying attention to them it could have been bad the ditch was 18ft deep

as for dinner here on the ranch I supply dinner when I have guys working for me but it is usually a sandwich and a snack while we are working Except when we are working cows then I feed them a good dinner

Angus Cowman":3pec1wng said:
as for dinner here on the ranch I supply dinner when I have guys working for me but it is usually a sandwich and a snack while we are working Except when we are working cows then I feed them a good dinner

I enjoy cooking outside. Don't mind buying lunch on occassion either. Just can't see losing 1 - 2 hours of a day to go into town to eat. But what gets me the most is that if you do it a few times it becomes "expected" and not appreciated. Some people are funny.

I run a sheetrock crew for my own company, When we were busy I was trying to keep up with 6 guys and all there personal problems. I've got enough problems on my own without listen to everyone else crying about there own things. Kind of like a babysitter for grown men. So I act like I don't care, everyone thinks I'm a dink, but o well. Now about cell phones, there has been many times when I dam near smashed them, actually one guy smashed his for me. Things would be going along pretty good and their phone would go off. They would get into a fight with their girlfriends and the rest of the day would be shot, cause all they thought about was their argument or problems at home and not what was going on at the job site. Now that times are slow I only have one guy going so it's a lot easier for me to only worry about one persons problems. :) As far as lunch, I'll take them out once and a while but like jo says, even if we go to the Chinese buffet it's an hour eating, then at least 45 minutes driving, then they eat so much that they don't feel like working the rest of the day. :( Try to get them out in the field to help me put up square bales? Forget it, I bought a round baler 2 years ago because of that. Now my wife is comfortable driving the tractor, so I can stand on the wagon if we want some squares.

Toby L.":34swkqfn said:
So I act like I don't care, everyone thinks I'm a dink, but o well. Now about cell phones, there has been many times when I dam near smashed them, actually one guy smashed his for me.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: About four months ago I had a fella helping me with some tractor work. It was an open cab so every time he got a call he had to stop and turn the tractor off. Phone rang off the hook for this boy. He must have been important. I was close to saying something when his phone fell out of his pocket and got run over by a tractor. Next day he had a new one and then he ran over this one with a pickup truck. Next day he had another one but he said he was going to leave it in the truck cause it was costing him too much for him to keep his phone on him and work for me. :lol2: I didn't say nothing.

Latest posts