Oil filters

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Gotta use factory oil filters while under warranty... 50 hr first service requires a hydraulic filter and oil filter change... Bought it at dealer $90.00 smh

I am surprised you don't have to change the oil as pretty sure Kubota requires a change of engine and hydraulic oil at 50 hrs. plus filters. The $90 is highway robbery for two filters..

The law says if they require you to use their brand of filters while under warranty they must give them to you free of charge. They can require the filter to meet certain specs to keep from voiding warranty but can't require you to run a specific brand of filter.
Check out magnusion-moss act
And tell the dealer to put that requirement in writing. I will guarantee you they will not do it .
A lot of the quality aftermarket filters,Napa,wix etc will guarantee that their filters will meet or exceed oe specs. And will cover replacement engine etc if there filter fails

The law says if they require you to use their brand of filters while under warranty they must give them to you free of charge. They can require the filter to meet certain specs to keep from voiding warranty but can't require you to run a specific brand of filter.
Check out magnusion-moss act
And tell the dealer to put that requirement in writing. I will guarantee you they will not do it .
A lot of the quality aftermarket filters,Napa,wix etc will guarantee that their filters will meet or exceed oe specs. And will cover replacement engine etc if there filter fails
When I got my dealers license certificate we covered it but I do not remember that part of it. I use their filters more so to alleviate any BS if warranty work is done. Once out of the warranty period Wix or napa filters will be used.

I am surprised you don't have to change the oil as pretty sure Kubota requires a change of engine and hydraulic oil at 50 hrs. plus filters. The $90 is highway robbery for two filters..
Yep, on the Kubota 50 hour change I used their filters and hydraulic oil. I think it cost me around $180 for all of that on a L3901. Like Skyhigh said, I don't want any BS if warranty work is needed.

Oil and hydraulic filter for a 100hp JD is about $30 less than that. Everybody loves to complain about the price of JD parts though, I laugh every time. Same for Cat most of the time. Their maintenance items are always priced very competitively usually as cheap or cheaper than NAPA.

I heard of a new JD planter that pinched a wire this spring, blew a fuse. It took a certain 20a, none to be had at the dealer that size. Using anything other than genuine JD parts voided warranty, so the tech had to wire a different size same amperage JD fuse in instead of putting in a off brand fuse.

Using anything other than genuine JD parts voided warranty
Any manufacture requiring their brand of parts not to void warranty is a violation of federal law.
Tell the dealer to put it in writing and I guarantee they won't do it . Tell them to show you in the written documents of warranty where it is .
it is not in any written paperwork because it is a violation of federal law to do so unless they give you the parts for free

Any manufacture requiring their brand of parts not to void warranty is a violation of federal law.
Tell the dealer to put it in writing and I guarantee they won't do it . Tell them to show you in the written documents of warranty where it is .
it is not in any written paperwork because it is a violation of federal law to do so unless they give you the parts for free
Wasn't aware of that law. Apparently the consumer is getting smoke blown up their butt on this subject.

Yes lots of smoke and bs is being fed to consumers
But they will never put it in writing
Very few if any vehicle manufacturers even make there own filters or parts so even the oe parts are manufactured by the same companies that sell the aftermarket parts . Some are even identical parts that take a fork in the assembly line and gets a different pain color and part number

Yes lots of smoke and bs is being fed to consumers
But they will never put it in writing
Very few if any vehicle manufacturers even make there own filters or parts so even the oe parts are manufactured by the same companies that sell the aftermarket parts . Some are even identical parts that take a fork in the assembly line and gets a different pain color and part number
There used to be a Brush manufacturing plant in my town. A co-worker's husband worked there for years. He said it was very common for them to make a big run of, let's say, Crest toothbrushes. Then they would shut the line down and just change the packaging and then make the exact same brushes for some discount brand or store.

Hold up wait a minutes are they going to come check to be sure you using the correct brand they want? Use what you want if you need warranty on something changed to their brand before taking it in.
Kubota and John deere seem about the same price as other brands. If you bought a new tractor I wouldn't suggest putting cheap stuff on it. Everything is expensive now days take your kids or grandbkids to McDonald's. 🙌🏾 (no worries I don't take mine there. 😝 we are "poor" have to eat at home.)

You can use any filter brand you choose but the spec needs to meet the requirements of the mfg.

Engine oil filters are not as critical as hydrostatic transmission filters and oils. If I had an HST I'd use mfg. filter and fluids. When you realize how infrequently you change the fluid, an increase in cost doesn't amount to much in per/hr cost. To each his own.

There used to be a Brush manufacturing plant in my town. A co-worker's husband worked there for years. He said it was very common for them to make a big run of, let's say, Crest toothbrushes. Then they would shut the line down and just change the packaging and then make the exact same brushes for some discount brand or store.
Up by the old building taking a short cut every time in town. I knew a couple that worked there.

Latest posts