Oil change intervals

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have always tried to service my tractor at 100 hours. Since adding a tractor I have one that might only get 50-60 hours a year cutting, raking and tedding hay. I have always thought once a year regardless of hours. I use a full synthetic oil and it ends up being $75 oil change. What do you guys do?

tom4018 said:
I have always tried to service my tractor at 100 hours. Since adding a tractor I have one that might only get 50-60 hours a year cutting, raking and tedding hay. I have always thought once a year regardless of hours. I use a full synthetic oil and it ends up being $75 oil change. What do you guys do?

Can't go wrong changing once a year.

Higher hours will dictate more frequent changing.

How's your back? I'm still putting off surgery.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
tom4018 said:

Can't go wrong changing once a year.

Higher hours will dictate more frequent changing.

How's your back? I'm still putting off surgery.

I have always done yearly but getting a little less use on one tractor and hate dumping $75 worth of oil at 50 hours. With finances the way they are I need to save every dollar I can. Probably need to sell a tractor but 2 are sure handy doing hay. This may be the year I go broke.

Back is about the same. Most days are ok but have some painful days. I don't regret my surgery at all as I was miserable before and lived on pain pills. Yours worse?

For what it's worth.
With today's modern oils I go way over recommended hourly change intervals, but I still think a yearly change on low hour/mileage is usually a good idea.

I have 2 tractors 2007 and newer, with 3 between the ages of 1963-'88, all diesels. The old ones get WW HD 15w-40 C rated dino and the newer ones Rotella T6 5w-40 full syn. Since I'm retired and am currently a STO (small time operator) the once per year fits my needs. When I was a teenager, I just loved to change my oil....now it's a necessary PIA. On the rest of the fluids I try to change them out ever so often...like this year I was reading about changing fuel filters and realized that the 2007 was still the OEM filter. Got a set of filters and they all got changed.

On following what's recommended in printed literature, a little common sense goes a long way in saving you effort and your wallet: Printed literature is for the World; any body running the equipment, anywhere in the world, under any kind of condition. My 2 newer tractors are Bransons and are Korean made and after seeing pictures of Bransons working in Korean rice fields, no way does my equipment see that kind of abuse. Also, I can see why Branson sales literature show the tractors with R1 "Rice" tires......down here in Tx. they used to use steel wheels observed when I used to Goose hunt the coastal plains in the 50's.

"they used to use steel wheels observed when I used to Goose hunt the coastal plains in the 50's."

Some people still do, but them old spiked steel wheels are big flea market collector's items nowadays.

I do the big tractors every 500 hours, which is usually every 6-8 months. That's what the book says.

Small ones get done yearly or whenever I think about it. They hardly get used in comparison.

There is no guesswork involved, the manuals have a chart with maintenance intervals. Write or scratch the hours into the filter so you know when it's due for the next service.

Have a JD 7410 and 4440 due for an oil change.

What would you guys recommend for oil? From reading through this thread and from personal experience, was going to use Rotella T6 5W40. Would this be suitable for both tractors?

Thank you!

JHALL said:

What would you guys recommend for oil? From reading through this thread and from personal experience, was going to use Rotella T6 5W40. Would this be suitable for both tractors?

Thank you!

I see no justification in using T6 in older tractors such as those that were designed for use with conventional oil. I've used the T4 15w-40 in every diesel I've owned with the exception of a new truck that recommended 5w-40, and never had an engine failure or premature wear that I'd attribute to oil quality. The engines have all outlasted the chassis by a good margin.

JHALL said:

Thank you!

How could you possibly go wrong? Really!

cfpinz said:
JHALL said:

Thank you!

I see no justification in using T6 in older tractors such as those that were designed for use with conventional oil. I've used the T4 15w-40 in every diesel I've owned with the exception of a new truck that recommended 5w-40, and never had an engine failure or premature wear that I'd attribute to oil quality. The engines have all outlasted the chassis by a good margin.

One advantage of the T6 5W-40 or other brands is improved cold weather starting. For tractors used in the winter the improved starting is a big plus.

Most vehicles 2010 and before conventional oil is recommend and a tractor that has had dino oil in it the whole life would continue to get that if mine. I have a couple vehicles that recommend synthetic oil as the government has bout force all that on us as part of their emissions reductions, but I have not seen anything great out of it yet just more expensive and maybe a little longer between changes. It probably would not hurt anything to use, but 5w oil would get pretty thin, especially if the tractor already has normal usage with 15w.

Stocker Steve said:
I am not up on all this technology stuff. :) My collectable haying tractors get straight 30W annually, unless I need straight 40W.

Interesting comment. Growing up in Texas when (Texaco oil co.) Havoline HD 20w and 30w came out, we'd use the lower grade in winter for better start up lube and easier starting.

I have a good bit of DR equipment and being a North Eastern, USA company I find it confusing that their "branded" oil is straight 30W. Since I don't live up there I haven't checked the viscosity of -20F. Course you said "haying tractors" which obviously are used to gather in the warm months, but you might also be using them in the winter to feed that hay. Interesting!

Latest posts