Ohio ISSUE 2 questions

Help Support CattleToday:

knowknews

Reaction score
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/ed ... ml?sid=101

I just heard them say that "safe local food" ISSUE 2 would have the EPA, Humane Society, & others involved in our raising food? I have 20 chickens and I sell the eggs to friends that asked me if I had extra for them to buy. My chickens are free-range, in a fenced-in area. Does that mean that my barn and land are subject to government inspection? WTHeck!!

My "knee-jerk reaction" is this: I cannot see ISSUE 2 being good for farmers (already strained to the max) and, let alone, the homesteads and small-scale farmers. More restrictions and fees cannot be good. My father was a dairy farmer and they made rules/laws that they could not use milk cans to store their milk in anymore and had to buy milk tanks. It broke more than a few farmers because the milk house had to be just so big for clearance around the tank. If not, they had to build a new milk house. Add that to the new machinery they had to purchase for the tanks, and some small farmers couldn't make it.

Don't they understand, No Farmers - No Food. Why do these people in government keep straining the farmer until he/she has to give it up? Because the "California Cow" isn't necessarily a "happy cow" mine has room to run and jump and eat grass and leaves; lay down all day in the grass if she wants to; roam the property and sniff the chickens through the fence; check out the goats & cats and plays with them when she wants to. She is not filed in and out of a milking barn that runs cows in and out to milk 24 hours a day because they have so many. No over-crowding. Is that humane? How about the chickens that live in a cage for their entire life? The only food they get is in the form of liquid loaded with the vitamins/minerals and dies to color their yolks; and never got to pick and eat bugs; eat small toads; chase leaves blowing in the wind cause they think they are "alive" (just because they're stupid); dig holes in the dirt and take dust baths on sunny days; eat corn, oats, and real grains that make their yolks really yellow. With shells so thick, you have to hit them a little harder to crack them.

Quote: "Ohio Farm Bureau, Ohio Manufacturers' Association, Ohio Horsemen's Council, Ohio Grocers Association, Ohio Dairy Producers Association, Ohio Corn Growers Association, Ohio Club Lamb Association, Ohio Chamber of Commerce, Ohio Wheat Growers Association, Ohio Fish Producers Association, Ohio Cattlemen's Association, Ohio Pork Producers Council, Ohio Poultry Association, Ohio Soybean Association, and Ohio Association of Meat Processors" Did they read the bill? There has to be another way to protect Ohio farmers from PETA without involving the EPA and humane society....it's all the same! Sounds Hinky to me.

Quote: "Out-of-state activist groups (PETA and The American Humane Society) have signaled they would like to bring an initiative to Ohio that would set rigid, inflexible and impractical rules for how livestock and poultry are housed. This would lead to higher costs for consumers, put food safety at risk, increase the amount of food imported to Ohio, cause thousands of farmers to go out of business, and endanger the overall health and well-being of Ohio's flocks and herds"

Can't we keep the activist groups off of our property better than we can a panel we vote in?? Can't we vote down the initiative that PETA brings to Ohio rather than creating a governmental body called the Ohio Livestock Care Standards Board and giving them the authority to come on our lands? Isn't there a better way? The "American Humane Society AND PETA" would bring this initiative to Ohio? So why let the local Humane Society (who are on this panel) have the same authority? I am confused about this issue to a small degree, but I just don't believe in big government; and this is making government bigger.

I have a homestead and do not want my 5 acres subject to anyone just coming on my property. There are no complaints against me, or the way I raise my animals; and many friends and family come to visit. I invite them to the barn and am proud of our place and often (just to be nice), they agree to go on yet another tour of the place with me.

Maybe farm life isn't for everyone, but the next time you're in the store for a dozen eggs, gallon of milk, pack of hamburger, really take a minute out of your busy day and think of where it comes from. If the government runs all the farms, they can also set all the prices. No competition means higher prices. Higher taxes and regulations on farmers means higher prices. I plan on calling my farmer friend up the road and getting his opinion on this issue. He has a way bigger farm than I do and I appreciate his opinion. If the Ohio Farm Bureau endorses this issue, maybe I need to rethink our membership. I was told the OFB lobbies for the farmer.

I didn't believe in the Ohio smoking ban because it gave government more authority over our personal decisions and would open the door to more government control; and they voted it in without a DEFINED plan. They didn't even know what the laws were. The people of Ohio voted it in laws that were not defined!

You know, my oldest learned something from one of his high school teachers that he used on me (ashamed to say) a lot and this situation reminds me of how he used to manipulate me. He would ask for $10-I would say no, he would ask for $5-I would say no, He would ask for $1-would agree to that. When that was all he wanted to begin with. I figured out what he was doing, he knew I would not give him a lot of money, but if he started high, I would agree to a lesser amount because that was not as bad. When I finally caught on, refused to give him any more money; I would buy what he needed but would not give him his own money. Seems similar here. PETA is coming-I don't want PETA; EPA is coming-Ok, that's not as bad

Can anyone translate this issue into simple english for me and answer a few questions about it? I have posted this on several sites and have not gotten a clear answer to it. I read on the link above the 2 sides but they seem like the same side to me. Like 1) do it; and, 2) don't not do it

Nothing to worry about. PETA has no law enforcement authority. So what if the EPA inspects your farm? What will they find?- Nothing. They can inspect mine all day long, wouldn't bother me a bit- I'm sure I'd get a stamp of approval.

My first thought is that if Wayne Pacelle's Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is against it, I'm probably for it.

Try to find the actual law you'll be voting on, but, IMO, sooner or later we're going to see more of this sort of thing. If you can vote in a board made up of ag people to do the inspections, that's better than a state appointed board made up of animal rights or non-ag people.

I don't think you should necessarily count on the people in your state to vote down PETA initiatives. Non-farm people love animals, snuggly, cute animals; there's a lot more of them than us. They don't necessarily make the connection between outlawing some farm related stuff and the food they buy at the grocery store. The animal rights people have lots of experience in maniuplating our love for animals, not to mention their out and out lies. Plus they have $$millions and millions to spend on various initiatives.

That's a tough one.....

[quote="Frankie"]My first thought is that if Wayne Pacelle's Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is against it, I'm probably for it.

Try to find the actual law you'll be voting on, but, IMO, sooner or later we're going to see more of this sort of thing. If you can vote in a board made up of ag people to do the inspections, that's better than a state appointed board made up of animal rights or non-ag people.

I don't think you should necessarily count on the people in your state to vote down PETA initiatives. Non-farm people love animals, snuggly, cute animals; there's a lot more of them than us. They don't necessarily make the connection between outlawing some farm related stuff and the food they buy at the grocery store. The animal rights people have lots of experience in maniuplating our love for animals, not to mention their out and out lies. Plus they have $$millions and millions to spend on various initiatives.

That's a tough one.....[/quote]

Exactly, this is not a big winner for us, it's just the lesser of the evils. I don't like the idea that 10 of the 12 appointments will be made by the governor and in my opinion makes it too political.

I agree, I think they're very confused about it all, they for the most part are very supportive of agriculture, but for the reasons you stated are confused. I've been asked a lot about issue 2, for the most part they just ask how they should vote. I think they feel if it's good for us it will be good for them too

Good post.

Larry

Someone sent me this:

This is nothing more than another backdoor Animal Rights issue under the guise of food safety. The first question I asked myself was "Is our food unsafe?" and 'What's so wrong with the way livestock and poultry' is being raised to cause the need for another Government Body. Issue 2, IMHO (in my honest opinion) is a bureaucracy, a toe-hold for PETA type organizations, and can only cause cost of 'livestock and poultry' (meat) to increase. The board is comprised of thirteen members (Ohio citizens). I attached my local ballot for you to see...it's in PDF format. Pg. 3 shows the text on issue 2. To me, it's ambiguous, unnecessary, and a backdoor approach to increase costs of meat.....remember what happened to the farmers in San Joaquin Valley...California. Don't be fooled Ohio...this is

Now I'm not here to "argue" I just have questions and need help understanding some things. Like, Gov. Strickland is a liberal! I trust him about as much as I trust PETA. Will the panel change every time the governorship does? Will the panel be able to be fired? What happens when we find out (and its going to happen) that there is corruption in the panel? Do we as the voters and farmers have a fail safe?

Like I said before, I am NOT a big government person and it goes against ever single grain in my body to just give away my freedoms and rights. I guess I am going to go to the meeting this Tuesday about it. As it stands now, I cannot in good faith vote away any more of our rights. Either I stand for liberty or I don't. I will keep searching and researching this issue until Nov. 2 because I want to do the right thing for our children and for the people of Ohio. This is not an easy thing to vote on, I hope everyone researches this and votes the constitution.

knowknews":qvtsm14f said:
Someone sent me this:

This is nothing more than another backdoor Animal Rights issue under the guise of food safety. The first question I asked myself was "Is our food unsafe?" and 'What's so wrong with the way livestock and poultry' is being raised to cause the need for another Government Body. Issue 2, IMHO (in my honest opinion) is a bureaucracy, a toe-hold for PETA type organizations, and can only cause cost of 'livestock and poultry' (meat) to increase. The board is comprised of thirteen members (Ohio citizens). I attached my local ballot for you to see...it's in PDF format. Pg. 3 shows the text on issue 2. To me, it's ambiguous, unnecessary, and a backdoor approach to increase costs of meat.....remember what happened to the farmers in San Joaquin Valley...California. Don't be fooled Ohio...this is

Now I'm not here to "argue" I just have questions and need help understanding some things. Like, Gov. Strickland is a liberal! I trust him about as much as I trust PETA. Will the panel change every time the governorship does? Will the panel be able to be fired? What happens when we find out (and its going to happen) that there is corruption in the panel? Do we as the voters and farmers have a fail safe?

Like I said before, I am NOT a big government person and it goes against ever single grain in my body to just give away my freedoms and rights. I guess I am going to go to the meeting this Tuesday about it. As it stands now, I cannot in good faith vote away any more of our rights. Either I stand for liberty or I don't. I will keep searching and researching this issue until Nov. 2 because I want to do the right thing for our children and for the people of Ohio. This is not an easy thing to vote on, I hope everyone researches this and votes the constitution.
Surely you aren;t one of those people that think you should have some knowledge of a subject before you can start controlling it!
On the subject of food safety: http://www.cspinet.org/new/200910061.html

I recommend you Google "ohio issue 2 2009". You should find plenty of info Pro and Con.

knowknews":3sl0hrj2 said:
Can anyone translate this issue into simple english for me and answer a few questions about it? I have posted this on several sites and have not gotten a clear answer to it. I read on the link above the 2 sides but they seem like the same side to me. Like 1) do it; and, 2) don't not do it

Again, I think you should Google "ohio issue 2 2009". But if you want my take in simple English...

I think this issue is in direct response to California's livestock proposition (forget which number). I think Ohio was/will be a "target" of similar proposals. In other words many farmers etc. feeel that Ohio was next for PETA and The Humane Society putting on State issues for regulating Animal Care. I think, as do many other farmers, that if these issues were to appear on the ballot, they would pass (for reasons mentioned above). So, the best way to prevent the general public, who does not know much about farming, from regulating the livestock industry is probably to create a board who can listen to the facts and then regulate the livestock industry through the board's recommendations. I would agree with you on the over regulations etc. But I think we are in an age, and have been for quite some time, where everyone is an expert on everything. What I mean by that, is the general public is being asked, through issues and initiatives, to regulate everything through the ballot box. Don't like how something is done, pass an issue. Does it matter if the general public knows anything about the industry...not really. So the question to me is...do you want a livestock board to regulate our industry or do we want ballot issues and initiatives to regulate our industry? I don't think there is any other way around this. This issue will change our State Constitution if it passes. I think The Humane Society and PETA do not want it to pass so that the industry will be regulated by the ballot. Whereas, many farmers want it to pass so it cannot be regulated by the ballot. I think those farmers (including myself) would rather take our chances with the board rather than the ballot. Just my simple take on the issue.

Norm

I would follow the lead of my cattleman's association. I would rather there not be ANY inspectors; but they know the political landscape in your state and if they feel that there is a need for this then I am inclined to believe them. That the insane people at HSUS are opposed makes me believe that they want a much stricter policy implemented.

Latest posts