Oh No!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Kay guys i have 2 questions. Yesterday morning my one and only bred female calved, but it was a still born. Why did this happen?
AAAnnnd, Dad said that he felt so sorry that he would get me a bottlefed calf to put on her. It will be a holstein bull calf. What sould I look for in the calf?

What sould I look for in the calf?

With a holstein bull calf, I'd probably try to find one that was maybe half beef or one that was mostly black (less funny holstein markings). Might make a bit more on it when you sold it in the fall. I have a dairy guy that has milking shorthorns not that far from me. They are bred back to a Murray Grey bull. If I was to lose a calf, i'd probably go to him.

For a graft calf find a strong healthy calf with some age if possible. It is a lot easier to graft a hungry calf that understands how to suck. A week old calf is much easier to graft than is a day old calf. As to the breed I would use a cross bred if you can find a good one. Other than that go with a holstein. Avoid getting a jersey as they grow slow.
Dave

Sorry to hear about the calf. It could have happened for any number of reasons. Was she early? Late? Vaccinated? Or it could be just "one of those things" that happens sometimes. Dads can be great. Look for, as stated, a strong eager-to-get-milk calf. If you can get one straight from the dairy, maybe they will let you choose the one you want. I have dealt with a couple of dairies near me, and they have let me choose.
Good luck.

Katherine

Geez - he gets a free calf fron Dad - let's not start being picky about it.

Healthy is all that matters.

Bez

If you get a calf , whatever kind it maybe make sure it was bottle fed and not taught to drink from a bucket, the dairy right down the road from me teaches their calves to drink from a bucket right away. If you get a bucket calf you'll have a hrd time getting him to suck from the cow.

Latest posts