oh goody....

Help Support CattleToday:

Clear and cold with a not so nice breeze. The various weather stations on the computer say between -2 and 2 degrees. The thermometer on the deck says that it is 6 here in the banana belt. After I got done feeding the dogs were all about following me into the laundry room.
I was talking to a man at church. Last week he hauled a load of cattle to Arizona. Said the people there were complaining because it was 56 degrees. They told him they prefer 120 to 56. We both agreed they are out of their minds. 56 is mighty close to prefect.

About 65 here today, and drizzling rain since last night. Miserable! Only 144 days til summer! And only 49 days til spring! I agree with those Arizona folks. If it ain't hot enough to go swimming, and where the water is warm, I don't like it. I wish ever day could be in the 90's, and the nights never lower than the 70's. Looks like it is going to rain all week here. I got to hand it to al lof you northern and Canadian cattlemen...you are a lot tougher than me. And by northern I mean anyone above Chattanooga!

About 65 here today, and drizzling rain since last night. Miserable! Only 144 days til summer! And only 49 days til spring! I agree with those Arizona folks. If it ain't hot enough to go swimming, and where the water is warm, I don't like it. I wish ever day could be in the 90's, and the nights never lower than the 70's. Looks like it is going to rain all week here. I got to hand it to al lof you northern and Canadian cattlemen...you are a lot tougher than me. And by northern I mean anyone above Chattanooga!
I'm with you 100%, I despise the cold. I'll take 80-90 degree daytime temps all day long everyday and not getting dark until 8:30. I get ambitious in the spring and end up with alot to take care of, then winter hits with short days and cold weather and I start rethinking all of the projects. I recently sold my rabbits for this reason and I'm wishing I would've bought pigs in the spring instead of fall and having to feed and water through the winter.

I'm with you 100%, I despise the cold. I'll take 80-90 degree daytime temps all day long everyday and not getting dark until 8:30. I get ambitious in the spring and end up with alot to take care of, then winter hits with short days and cold weather and I start rethinking all of the projects. I recently sold my rabbits for this reason and I'm wishing I would've bought pigs in the spring instead of fall and having to feed and water through the winter.
Yep. I sure don;t miss having to come home after dark, and it cold and often rainy, and having to feed and chop ice out of water troughs!!!

The winter storm watch has been extended until late thursday morning. Lots of icy conditions for this part of the world and extends pretty far south.
Jan31stormwatch.jpg

And as they say..meanwhile, back at the ranch... my old place is probably seeing the river encroaching up in the pastures. I sure don't miss that. My sister down there said they got 2 more inches of rain yesterday. No longer my circus or my monkey..

eforkjan30.jpg

The winter storm watch has been extended until late thursday morning. Lots of icy conditions for this part of the world and extends pretty far south. . .

I just hope it doesn't extend to Grimes county. It's not supposed to, but we'll see. I put out extra hay Sunday just in case.

The winter storm watch has been extended until late thursday morning. Lots of icy conditions for this part of the world and extends pretty far south.
View attachment 25690

And as they say..meanwhile, back at the ranch... my old place is probably seeing the river encroaching up in the pastures. I sure don't miss that. My sister down there said they got 2 more inches of rain yesterday. No longer my circus or my monkey..

View attachment 25691
It's not so much the cold in this area. It's the ice, the footing, the lack of traction for vehicles. I've driven on snow in the mountains for years but the ice where we live now shuts everything down. One winter, I couldn't even get up the driveway to the closest road. It's getting like that right now here near Ft Worth. We don't have the equipment to deal with this once or twice a year issue. Roads are closed near Decatur, TX and more ice is coming today. The wife and I are just staying put. I'll only get out to break ice and give my guys some extra feed today.

Everything is a sheet of Ice out there.
Texans please be grown up enough to admit you don't know how to drive in this stuff. It's ok to admit, we're better at everything else.
So many Minnesotans 'forget' how to drive when the first storm of the season hits.
Can only imagine the nightmare it must be down South when everyone is learning or relearning at the same time.

Latest posts