Official Holiday of Texas has been set....

Help Support CattleToday:

I plan on smoking them with a 16 gauge on Sept 1st. I should never have to get out of a lawn chair setting by one of the stock tanks. The quandry is the Model 12 the Remington double or one of my Brownings. I am leaning towards the Remington. When my oldest grandson shows up that weekend I will loose the Remington as he thinks that is the only gun in the safe.

sorry fellas but the 23rd of Sept will be a hurricane week... My reason of thinkin is its too late in the year to do us any good drought wise and I am gonna be fishing the last week of Sept and Oct... So take it to the bank.

houstoncutter":1qchi35z said:
sorry fellas but the 23rd of Sept will be a hurricane week... My reason of thinkin is its too late in the year to do us any good drought wise and I am gonna be fishing the last week of Sept and Oct... So take it to the bank.

Well Rita broke us over like a single barrel shotgun Sept 24, 2005 . Rita was the most intense hurricane ever observed in the gulf. HC thanks for bringing those memories back. If a Rita hit now it would be the last nail in the coffin here.
When she hit here no one had a fence standing had to pen the cows and hay them until they could be repaired.
There is no hay reserve here this year they would all end up at the salebarn, except for a lucky few.

Ive been seeing a bunch of doves this year too... cb you must have some extra 16 gauge shells laying around... i looked and some the other day but they are twice the price of 12 gauge .... pasture is full of goat weed I think ill mow the last week of august .

JSCATTLE":3op3ij82 said:
Ive been seeing a bunch of doves this year too... cb you must have some extra 16 gauge shells laying around... i looked and some the other day but they are twice the price of 12 gauge .... pasture is full of goat weed I think ill mow the last week of august .

I buy them by the case, some things are worth it. I have a pile of 12's, can't remember the last time I shot one.
I don't own a 20 gauge as I find it to be a worthless gauge. Most 20's can't pattern a load as gun manufactures have sold the American hunter a bill of good's. The 12 was designed for an ounce and quarter of shot the 16 ounce the 20 7/8 ounce.
Larger load's don't make shotguns pattern better it is like trying to put 10 pounds of shyt in a five pound bucket.
Take a piece of tin and pattern your shotgun at 30 yards, the 20's won't pattern well as the shot string is to long due to small bore diameter trying to cram an ounce or more of shot in a gauge not designed for or ever intended to shoot.
The ammo makers have not screwed with the 16's load's. Shooting the shotgun is all about pattern at thirty yards as shot to powder ratio is the same if your shooting a 28 gauge or a 10.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default ... =3a&page=2

I have a old 16 gauge single shot I like to squirrel hunt with.. love the gun .. I would guess the price difference is because a lot of people shoot .12 gauge .

JS I just think 16 gauge shotguns are sort of rare. You just don't see a whole lot of them. I bought a Browning Sweet Sixteen back about 1972 and wouldn't part with it. Was hard to find ammo for it for a long time but now mail order it.

Browning currently has 16 gauges in production in BPS Upland Special and Hunter models.
Bought one of each when they came out, still like the model 12 Win for chasing tree rats.

TexasBred":1hmg46u7 said:
JS I just think 16 gauge shotguns are sort of rare. You just don't see a whole lot of them. I bought a Browning Sweet Sixteen back about 1972 and wouldn't part with it. Was hard to find ammo for it for a long time but now mail order it.

That's what I shoot and LOVE it. My husband and nephew reload so that's what I use. Otherwise, I'd have to order them too. All the big box stores have 20 and 12 gauge shells but very few if any 16s. If they do have them, they're higher than a cat's back!

Shotguns for for busy tails!!!! make mine a 22. Granted a little lead may fly on them cat squirells, but heck shotgunning em aint even sportin.

houstoncutter":1yfj6317 said:
Shotguns for for busy tails!!!! make mine a 22. Granted a little lead may fly on them cat squirells, but heck shotgunning em aint even sportin.
I like to hunt them with a dog so they are usually limbing out when we get to them.. I like my 22 for still hunting ..

houstoncutter":mm5ctyad said:

You would need a red wagon full of 22 shells to get a limit and then that would be a maybe if you were Annie Oakley.
We ain't hunting fox squirrels we hunting cat's and it ain't nothing for one to bail out and hit the ground running.
You just want to shoot I am hunting for supper. I feel the same way about a deer rifle with a scope and a feeder.

Brute 23":zyushx2d said:
You should always pattern your shotguns. You would be surprised how many come from the factory with a defect and won't put a pattern on a sheet of plywood.

I shot competition trap for years and a 16 gauge is a squared load and will usually out pattern most other gauges.
The one exception I shot was a model 97 in 12 gauge.