off-topic: pig question

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
For those of you who have/had pigs...quick question. One of my brothers has a 4H pig (about 95lbs) that appears to have an ear infection. I have baytril, LA200, and penicillin on hand, access to nuflor. Will one of those work, and what's the common treatment for ear infections?

Thanks!

LA200 is our drug of choice for hogs. Why do you think this hog has an ear infection? Is it hanging it's head cock-eyed? Could be infection but might not be. It may have just gotten something in it like water or dirt. Trouble is most times they will not come out of it. Once their head is hanging funny, it will always hang funny. Don't know why their ears are so touchy but you have to be careful not to get stuff in them when working with them. Now if you are talking about the ear is all puffed up like a balloon then that is an infection that has to be lanced. It has gotten something like a sliver stuck in it. Lance it, squeeze the pus out, spray it with iodine. No need to give a shot of anything.

He is shaking his head and holding his head cock-eyed. One ear is hanging lower also but I don't see any significant swelling yet. It started just today. Thanks for the ideas. We'll see if we can take a look in there.

Give him a shot of LA200. Think dosage is 4.5cc/100lbs. At this size we hit with a full 5cc. Do this for about 3 days. If no improvement, probably won't improve. Doubt you will see anything in there but you can try. Really doubt you will fix this. Sorry. Just remember that LA200 has a 28 day withdrawal from the day of last shot. You could put this one in the freezer as I doubt he will be fair quality. Keep us updated as to the outcome. Others may not be interested but I am. Hope things work out.

If it is an outer ear infection. May want to try hydrogen peroxide and or maybe swimmers ear.

Latest posts