Off to our first fair!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Packing to leave today to go to a weekend county fair - Allegany Fair - about a 3 hour drive. Dragging 6 head that have never been shown. Should be a handfull!
Always like to go to a little county fair to get them adjusted to traveling - than the State Fair, Labor Day weekend.

:lol: :lol: Australian - Our states are divided into COUNTY's. Each county has a fair, sometimes they are just youth fairs, and some are both. Than the big fair within the state is the State Fair. There are "regional" and "national" shows around also. So, this was a "county" (not country vs city). :lol:
Anyway, thanks for the good wishes.
There weren't any Simmentals there this year, but there were about 60 head of beef cattle. We took Supreme Over All Breeds with out Sr Yearling. Also, at this fair, they have a Breeders Special (best two head bred & owned) for all the breeders, regardless of breed. We won that also. So, we had a great showing.
Hubby & I and an adult Angus breeder & a Sr. junior Hereford breeder, put on a showmanship clinic/judging on Friday night. Had a great turnout & the kids and parents really needed "guidance". Was a good time.

Jeanne, I think what Colin is trying to say is your county fairs are equivalent to our local country shows, and your state fairs are equivalent to our royals. And Colin prefers the county fair/local country show over the state fair/royal show.

I cant imagine why Colin ... ;-) :p

Keren/Colin --- Oh - gotcha
We like to go to a County Fair as a "break in" for our string. Short trip (late Thurs to late Sat.). Lots of people & baby strollers & balloons & carnival noises close by - everything to freak them out!
That way, when we go to the bigger shows, they act somewhat "good".
Our Sr Yearling (that won Supreme) freaked out when in the ring alone - pushed the ever-loving out of me - not what you would call in complete control all the time!!! But, with another animal in the ring - she was like the Rock of Gibralta! Even had a Gert standing next to her in the supreme drive. Well, that was the problem - she (Gert) never was standing - kept swinging sideways & bumping into our heifer & pulling out of line - almost knocked Ken off his feet a few times - but she just braced herself for the hit & STOOD rock solid with head up high.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2lcz9huz said:
We like to go to a County Fair as a "break in" for our string. Short trip (late Thurs to late Sat.). Lots of people & baby strollers & balloons & carnival noises close by - everything to freak them out!
That way, when we go to the bigger shows, they act somewhat "good".

We do the same too :mrgreen:

I REMEMBER!!! and you were making us sweat it out - figured it was between you, Hereford or us. The Breeders Best Two Head told the story - YOU were our threat.
Sure was glad I had hard boots on my feet (like we tell all the KIDS!!!) when your heifer decided to plant her foot on top of mine. :cry2: Made my foot numb for a little bit - but never did hurt later.
Still making her STAND TIED?? (we weren't the only one getting pushed around the ring! :lol: )

Latest posts