Off the "farm"

Help Support CattleToday:

churchcreek

Reaction score
So had to go to Boston for a work conference. It's a beautiful, historical city. Couldn't wait to get back home. The son says sometimes you gotta get off the farm for a while. That may be true, but there is no place like home!

i havent been off the farm in more than 30yrs.really cant remember when i took a day or 2 away from the farm was.

I'll be heading home from a conference today, and leave for another one Monday morning. I will agree, when your off the farm, you appreciate it more.

Agreed! I work in town also, but don't have to travel much. When I do, I really miss having a little space. The older I get, the more the simple things mean.

Why is it when we are younger, we dream of bigger things, but as we get older, we dream of more simple things? Sometimes I dream of having a share croppers house with a tin roof and a porch across the front and back. If a tornado ever picks this house up, that is what I am going to put back in it's place.

Chuckie you brought back a memory from my early years of an older woman everybody called Aunt Baby. She lived in such a house at the end of a sandy lane back in the woods. A lot of trees all around. Quiet and peaceful.
She chewed tobacco and her teeth were worn off even with her gums. My folks would get her to come help at hog killing time.
She knew how to cook possum and do it right cooking on a wood burning stove.
She also knew how to comfort a little boy when he fell down in a mud hole and got all dirty.

Aunt Baby, the house, those years...all dead and gone. :cry2:
I didn't intend to hijack the thread :oops: but maybe I just did. Oh well. :?

That is part of the farm. It is a place in your heart lives there. I have a view of a corn field that goes a mile back and a wheat field that goes up a sloping hill. When the sun hits it, it looks like heaven. That will always be in my mind. When I am laying in a nursing home, that picture will always be in my mind.

Just as churchcreek says, "There is no place like home." That is where we will always want to be.