Off the farm occupations

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
For those who care to share, how many have other jobs, and what are they? I am a 13 year professional woodworker, with amateur projects from the time I was a young boy. I work in a cabinet shop owned by my brother, about 49 hours a week. Then I come home and try to be a husband, father,(2 boys, 1 girl) and tend to the cattle, some of which are on a lease about 2 miles away. I have on three occasions traded woodworking projects for cattle, including my first bull, 092, and I recently built a large cherry fireplace mantle in exchange for 092's half sister!

I'm a Construction Project Manager. Before that I used to be a Stock Broker/Financial advisor for three years and before that I was a Contractor for 7 years. I always admire the cabinet makers at work. I'm a passable finish carpenter but certainly not good enough to do cabinet work. Do more expensive tools make a big difference on how precision of cuts you can make? Its always been my excuse that its not me its just that my tools aren't good enough :p

I have been in the auto buisiness for the last 34 years. Service advisor,Service dispatcher and Service manager. Have worked for Nissan,Pontiac Jaguar and Ford. Have also owned and operated two small business's in that time. My wife is an RN,trains Paramedics,does ACLS training and is the author of several books on those subjects.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1yj6io9b said:
I'm a Construction Project Manager. Before that I used to be a Stock Broker/Financial advisor for three years and before that I was a Contractor for 7 years. I always admire the cabinet makers at work. I'm a passable finish carpenter but certainly not good enough to do cabinet work. Do more expensive tools make a big difference on how precision of cuts you can make? Its always been my excuse that its not me its just that my tools aren't good enough :p

A quote from the wisest man I ever knew, " A poor workman alwasy blames his tools".
But my favorite is " The more you stir it the more it stinks". That was his standard comment when one of us kids would do something stupid and the others would just keep picking at it.

dun

I am an advanced practice nurse (Registered nurse practitioner) which means I have prescription priviledges. I work at the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System Hospital to support my cow habit,which I pursue every weekend,holiday,and vacation. I work in the ambulatory care area of the hospital, in the Primary Care Clinic and follow a panel of 800 veteran patients for their chronic health problems like diabetes,hypertension,coronary heart disease, etc.

Better tools do help, but there is more to it than that. A pro knows how to fix his mistakes, they say. I'd guess that you woodworkers are being modest about your abilities.

greenwillowherefords":2c6v3rug said:
I am a 13 year professional woodworker, with amateur projects from the time I was a young boy. I work in a cabinet shop......
I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for you guys that have that talent, Willow. I envy you the craftsmanship, patience and the attention to detail that your job demands.

Texan":32qiz108 said:
greenwillowherefords":32qiz108 said:
I am a 13 year professional woodworker, with amateur projects from the time I was a young boy. I work in a cabinet shop......
I've always had a lot of respect and admiration for you guys that have that talent, Willow. I envy you the craftsmanship, patience and the attention to detail that your job demands.
Thanks. I'm on a project now with 2" radius rope corners and pedestal feet that is demanding some patience!

Work in maintenance at a local factory, volunteer with rescue squad, and work part time as a paramedic with county EMS service. Would be doing the latter full time but the money would'nt pay the bills.

I like to think that I farm full time and raise 3 kids too. My husband works in a steel mill to support my habit. I also do some taxidermy work on the side.

I'm on a project now with 2" radius rope corners and pedestal feet that is demanding some patience!

That sounds pretty nice. I've been tempted a few times to go and work for one of our finish carpentry contractors, unfortunately I've still got this immune system problem I picked up while i was contracting and i react to just about everything. Maybe someday.

A quote from the wisest man I ever knew, " A poor workman alwasy blames his tools".

Dun:
I know better than to blame it all on the tools. Of course anything that gives you a reason to buy new and better tools is a good thing. ;-)

Up until last March my title was Pilot - Test and Evaluation. Got to work on some pretty nifty military hardware. Hornets, Apaches, Chinooks, Hercs and so on. Too much travel, too many foreign languages, too many hotels and tired of wearing my cleanest dirty underwear.

Now I am in the financial game - less money and more time at home.

Regards

Bez

Cattle Rack Rancher":19jgvl9z said:
Dun:
I know better than to blame it all on the tools. Of course anything that gives you a reason to buy new and better tools is a good thing. ;-)

Dad usually would tell me that right after I wacked my thumb with a hammer or banged a nuckle when a wrench slipped.
Substitute guns in the new and better sentence and I'll sure agree.

dun

I worked in the lead mining industry for 13 years before they busted the union and sent everyone packing. Spent the next 3 years working nights and weekends at a limestone mine and kiln operation while attending Jr. College during the day (It took me 3 years, but I worked 40 - 50 hours a week). Got the wife to support me for the next 2 years while I finished my teaching degree and have been teaching Jr. High Science for 12 years now. Now, if I'd only started the college thing when I was 18, I would be enjoying retirement now! But then again, that college thing wouldn't have worked for me when I was 18! :D

Latest posts