Off road diesel fuel prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What is everyone paying for off road fuel? The only local place we had that sold off road went bankrupt and I am looking at trying to get me a bigger tank or another small tank so I can have some delivered or haul some myself. Having to pay $2.19 for on road fuel right now. Curious as to what others are having to pay.

Price here is 1.89. Where are you in KY. We are about 15 miles from the KY line. My cousin delivers a lot of off road in eastern KY. Might help if you are near.

kenny thomas":3r908k2o said:
Price here is 1.89. Where are you in KY. We are about 15 miles from the KY line. My cousin delivers a lot of off road in eastern KY. Might help if you are near.

Near Bowling Green, there are places that deliver from there and Russellville but just have not got any prices. Debating on if the cost is justified for getting more tank capacity or just buy on road.

tom4018":6ivlddm8 said:
What is everyone paying for off road fuel? The only local place we had that sold off road went bankrupt and I am looking at trying to get me a bigger tank or another small tank so I can have some delivered or haul some myself. Having to pay $2.19 for on road fuel right now. Curious as to what others are having to pay.
I don't know about in Kentucky but in Missouri the tax is $.27 per gal
I pd $1.90 for on road yesterday so off road should be $1.63
I quit buying off road about 2 yrs ago because the place I was buying it was only $.15 cheaper and I can take the road tax off at the end of the yr and get the whole $.27 back from the state

The on road is now ultra low sulphur so I will not use it in my tractors. It will cause pump problems unless you add an additive which is more cost. Get a tank and fill up while the cost is low. Most of the fuel companies will help with the tank. Wish you were closer we would take care of you.

Our off road fuel is also ultra low sulfur. Last time I got is was $2.05 a gallon.

kenny thomas":1qfi56jg said:
The on road is now ultra low sulphur so I will not use it in my tractors. It will cause pump problems unless you add an additive which is more cost. Get a tank and fill up while the cost is low. Most of the fuel companies will help with the tank. Wish you were closer we would take care of you.
Kenny I would do a little investigating on your off road not being low sulfur fuel
we were looking into buying a fuel company last yr and the regs for Mo were we had to only sell the ultra low fuel I can't remember the date but as of Jan last yr that is all we were going to be able to buy alot of the suppliers are treating the off road fuel

wish the deal had went thru but the owner wouldn't agree to pay for a epa soil test if it failed and our lender would finance with out one

so I wasn't going to throw $25K away and then not be able to buy the business

Angus Cowman, had to take a few minutes and call and be sure of what I was telling you. Fuel depot is less than 1 mile from my house. Sells an average of 40,000 gal a day off road seven days a week. Owned by a member of my family. He can still get the high sulfur off road but lately what they mostly get is the ultra low. He said that it is because of availability because it is 2 cents cheaper for the high sulfur. Guess we are both maybe right but he says that very soon we will not be able to get anything but the ultra low. I guess I will use a lot of additive.
What do people use instead of the high price additive. I use transmission fluid in the fuel in my trucks. Also seems to help a little with the mileage.

I have use tranny fluid also
I have started buy an additive called QMI it is available by individual distributors and a few parts sores have it I buy it by the 55 gallon drum the last one I bought was $350-400 and you use about 3 quarts to a 100 gal in summer and about 5 quarts in the winter for gelling

My brother who is a diesel mechanic for kenworth and worked for cat before that says with the tranny fluid you need 1 1/2 gallons per 100 gallon of fuel so at that ratio the additive is alot cheaper

of the additives that are sold at the parts store he recommends Howe's he says to stay away from power service

The price for diesel up here is about $0.69/litre for off road. A big difference compared to last summer where it was about $1.14/litre.

Or just don't use an additive at all, and don't worry about it. Its pure internet fallacy that Ultra Low Sulphur diesel kills pumps and wrecks engines. All fuel companies have added lubricity agents to their fuel mixes to make up for the lubricants burned off when the sulphur is burned off.

We've been ultra low sulphur up in Canuckville for a couple more years than you guys have been, yet we haven't seen any additional fuel pump failures, nor has there been any tendency for older diesels to run poorer. About the only thing we ever noticed is that older tractors ended up having to go through a couple sets of fuel filters on the first tank as the higher detergent ULSD washed some of the crap out of their lines.

Also bear in mind that very few additives actually work as advertised. In another thread, I'll post a research paper done down in the US of some of the more popular fuel additives. Only 12 out of 20 actually improved RAW diesel fuel (not pump diesel, but rather pre-additive fuel), and only 2 of those actually improved lubricity to an extent that would be significant (according to engine manfacturers).

Rod

Diesel prices around here are very volatile. You can shop around stations within 5 miles or so of each other, and pay anywhere from $1.99 to $2.59, supposedly depending on when they got their tanks filled.

I just bought some yesterday in Cynthiana , Ky. It was $1.87 /gal. they deduct .18. gal tax so I actually paid $1.69/ gallon.