Off grid setups

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks so much for your feedback. Most of these places are just that, a couple miles of rough country from the last power pole. Not needing anything to extensive but she want the basics. Lights, water especially hot water, and a refrigerator. If I can keep her in hot showers, cold food and lights at the flick of a switch I will be ok. She has been basically passing over some places that closely fit the bill of what we are looking for because of the power issue. I am sure if we get further into it I will have a lot more specific questions. Mostly just trying to get a feel for the limitations so we know what we need to avoid. Thanks again!
You won't have any worries with your lifestyle and comforts as long as you are sensible about things.

Ken

You won't have any worries with your lifestyle and comforts as long as you are sensible about things.

Ken
Around here the meth heads go off the grid gradually.. first the power company comes out and cuts em loose..then the water department .sanitation dept. ..etc , they are a good representative of someone who can live on absolutely nothing..

Last edited:
Around here the meth heads go off the grid gradually.. first the power company comes out and cuts em loose..then the water department .sanitation dept. ..etc , they are a good representative of someone who can live on absolutely nothing..
I wouldn't say 'nothing'.
They're very much like a few of those river rats back where I used to live. All some knew was hunting and stealing. When they weren't stealing, they were hunting something to steal...

And they don't have long to live.

There was a guy out here that built himself an off-grid bunker. One day the whole area felt an explosion. A woman calls the sheriff saying that her husband isnt responding to her call. Last she saw was him on their security camera going into his bunker with 2 of the neighbors who he was showing what he had built... Then her camera went blank. Unfortunately, somehow gas had built up and they aren't sure how it ignited, but the whole thing blew up killing all 3 that went in. Guys said it was quite the explosion.. sad. People buy places out here for off grid bugout shelters. Most give up because things like to grow out here and it turns into too much work. But, we've heard lots of dreams of their special place to come to if the SHTF..

Solar and lithium batteries are the way to go if you want it to be feasible on paper. No type of fuel is going to be cost effective running your average household's electrical needs. If you just want backup power that's a different matter, an LP/gas generator and a sizable tank is the way to go.

You can save a lot by buying used panels and sourcing the inverters, hardware, and battery yourself. A lot of those solar companies are borderline scam artists.

If you do it all yourself, it will pay for itself pretty quickly, unless your power needs are very minimal or your electric is cheap.

Just move to the Red part of the state. You will be much happier and she will too. Might even get you in the hunt club.
It is better than here but still got that damn VA humidity. I am so tired of being soaking wet from 6a.m to bed time. Wanting some wide open country and dry air! It is still a long way from a done deal, she takes awhile to convince. Took me 10 years to get a first date! I finally wore her down or she gave up hope I don't know which.😂

Smokin, it is certainly cheaper if you do it yourself and I have done most of mine myself though I do have a bit of knowledge about them now however I would recommend having a setup professionally installed as they are becoming a bit more complicated these days though very reliable. The lithium batteries require a battery monitoring system, you have to make sure the charge controller is suitable for the lithium batteries and the panels get better all the time especially in low light conditions. Our government has some subsidies on panels which mostly goes to the installer but does help. If you were to buy a place with an existing setup I would budget on replacing it or at least get it checked out by someone who knows a bit about them. Older systems while being adequate are generally outdated and to make things hassle free for your young lady an investment in a new up to date system would be very worthwhile.

Ken

Latest posts