hillsdown

Reaction score
It figures since we just got back in... :roll:

Monday, October 26, 2009

Presented by

Stock markets take sharp downward turn
Financial Post

Aaron Lynett/National Post
The Toronto Stock Exchange, along with other North American markets, took a sharp turn to the downside Monday as commodity prices fell, the U.S. dollar strengthened, and some U.S. banks received downgrades.

At 12.20 p.m. ET, the S&P/TSX composite index had fallen about 120.6 points to 11,261.5, with the three big sectors of energy, financials and materials leading the decline. All these areas were showing gains in early trading, when the TSX overall was up more than 1.2%.

On the commodities markets, crude oil was down US$2.15 to US$78.35 a barrel, while gold fell US$9.10 to US$1,047.30 an ounce.

The Canadian dollar was down 87 basis points to 94.2 cents US.

U.S. markets followed a similar up-and-down pattern. Much of the negative sentiment seemed linked to the downgrades of SunTrust Banks Inc. and Fifth Third Bancorp by analyst Dick Bove.

At midday, the Dow Jones industrial average had lost around 80 points, or 0.8%, to 9,890. The Nasdaq composite index fell about five points, or 0.3%, to 2,150.

European markets were down, though the most prominent Asian markets, in Japan and Hong Kong, were up.

Canwest News Service

© 2009 The National Post Company. All rights reserved. Unauthorized distribution, transmission or republication strictly prohibited.

hillsdown":4ou3gw64 said:
It figures since we just got back in... :roll:

Of course, sell low, buy high. That's how that the market works for most. Don't worry, the ride is going to last a little longer before it crashes again. But... it will crash again.

HD, heads talking about strengthening the US dollar and bodies that will actually take measures in carrying it out have yet to materialize.

Trickled a little in today myself. Only about half the percentage decline from the recent highs I usually use in buying but pullbacks have been rare lately. Also, the end of October is one of my purchase points.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about it, but I've been nervous about every buy since May.

Do not believe the hype....

saupload_us_retail_sales.jpg

saupload_vix10_09.png

http://seekingalpha.com/article/168913- ... shing-down

Dow, oil, gold, silver all behaving very nicely. Sort term corrective pull back in an uptrending channel.
Would like to see them pullback a little more toward the lower portion of the trend channel. Then buy on upside break out.

Longer term bullish for gold, silver, oil. Short term for DOW/SPX up a little more, then down,down,down, glub, glub, glub.

HerefordSire":3p2bvl9f said:

I don't know what you're trying to pull by throwing out the real facts, figures, and charts. You know that the stock market is a wonderful investment. :mrgreen:

You know, one thing that people don't talk about with the dow average is how companies are removed and added, thus distorting the numbers even more.

As I've said before, this party's just getting started!

grannysoo":1nr5spot said:
I don't know what you're trying to pull by throwing out the real facts, figures, and charts. You know that the stock market is a wonderful investment. :mrgreen:

You know, one thing that people don't talk about with the dow average is how companies are removed and added, thus distorting the numbers even more.

As I've said before, this party's just getting started!

When you buy your vegetable seed make sure it is not sterile and can pollinate.

HerefordSire":35bvl5a3 said:
grannysoo":35bvl5a3 said:

The item you posted is getting quite a bit of attention.

It should be. We need a few history majors in DC that have studied up on the great depression. When people say that history repeats itself, they are correct. When you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it.

Congress his hit the rewind button and tune that's now playing is "Great Depression 2".

They just don't get it.........

1982vett":3rgj51m3 said:
HD, heads talking about strengthening the US dollar and bodies that will actually take measures in carrying it out have yet to materialize.

Sorry, I didn't hear about that. Seems that with the printing presses running full steam ahead in the background, it had drowned out what they were saying.

There's no way they can strengthen the dollar with what they're doing. Makes me want to buy stock in ink.

Talk is cheap.....

Why did everyone pull their money out of the market when we had the big drop? Why is everyone getting back in again now that the market is reaching higher prices again?

Cause they couldn't stomach the buy and hold and had no idea what so ever the administration "change" would be.

Yeah, I jumped ship with a good portion of mine September 29, 2008 but by mid October 2008 I was putting it back in and had it all back in by March. Been adding to bonds and stocks ever since. Down to trickles now as we are approaching auto-pilot mode and will start accumulating cash again.

1982vett":351e67kk said:
Cause they couldn't stomach the buy and hold and had no idea what so ever the administration "change" would be.

Yeah, I jumped ship with a good portion of mine September 29, 2008 but by mid October 2008 I was putting it back in and had it all back in by March. Been adding to bonds and stocks ever since. Down to trickles now as we are approaching auto-pilot mode and will start accumulating cash again.

Is cash king again?

Yes. Cash is king. The time to buy is when panic sets in. The time to sell is when euphoria sets in. If neither one are occuring, cash is king.

There are exceptions for traders like myself. No need to hold long term and expose oneself to risk longer than necessary. In an out. Play the edges.

1982vett":3hy3o4we said:

Guess what happened 80 years ago from tomorrow.

Latest posts