Of Balancing Club Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

MichaelB

Reaction score
What is a Balancer bull? How would this differ from a black Gelbvieh? I still have't reconciled the fact that Gelbvieh literally means "yellow cow" in German, but how would this differ from a Balancer?

Also, what is a Club Calf? I see them advertised in the AI catalogs. Is it a particular cross, or a cross with a specific use in mind?

Thanks, I can't make sense of these terms.

A black Gelbvieh (if registered) is something like 87% or more gelbvieh and happens to be black
A Balancer is a Gelbvieh Angus (Red or black) crossbred with about any percentage of either but nothing else in the make up.
A club calf is a calf of any breed that is meant for useage as a show pony. Some breeds predominate in this field, Shorthorn with chianina or Maine Anjou, etc. But they can be anything

Thanks, Dun. I do understand the concept of purebred breeding and percentages by blood, so that makes sense to me.

Maybe I should advertise my halter-broken weanling Tarentaise steer as a club calf. He'd made a great show pony! :)

Michael

MichaelB":kp3i004k said:
Thanks, Dun. I do understand the concept of purebred breeding and percentages by blood, so that makes sense to me.

Maybe I should advertise my halter-broken weanling Tarentaise steer as a club calf. He'd made a great show pony! :)

Michael
Only if he has so much hair that he needs regualr trips to the beauty shop

Now Dun, you know they are called fuzzy little lawn ornaments! lol

Latest posts