Odds just got even.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
We've had a couple of dead new born calves, one yesterday and one today. I'm ready for a change of direction. My son had the one this morning buried before he told me, I sure would of liked to checked it over good. Hopefully it's not something in the water, one more dead calf and I'll have a vet from UGA out. We were doing so good over a 100 live calves in a row. At least now I have something to haul off Wednesday, dang it.

That sucks six ways to Sunday. I haven't seen them so I'm purely speculating with a 'best case scenario'. The cows aren't overweight with all this green grass we've got are they?

Ya, that's the way it goes sometimes. Hopefully it's just just a blip and things get back to an even keel going forward. Was similar here this spring, was on a really good run then one day packed 3 away for coyote feed. But things got back on track after that.

JMJ Farms":3kx4sbhk said:
That sucks six ways to Sunday. I haven't seen them so I'm purely speculating with a 'best case scenario'. The cows aren't overweight with all this green grass we've got are they?
One was over weight she was 1625 lb three weeks ago, is being a little over conditioned a problem? Vincent no sale'd her at Ashburn 3 weeks ago. Figured we calve her out and sell them as a pair, her sister brought $1450 the week before. We got 9 calves out of her before this failure.

Overconditioned is only a problem if it leads to calving problems. Obviously both calves were delivered I was just wondering if it was possibly a prolonged labor that resulted in the calf being in the birth canal too long with a lack of oxygen.

She could have possibly picked up a bug in ashburn that potentially affected the fetus or could have hit her stomach somewhere in the handling/transportation process and injured/killed the fetus.

Or I could just be a freak occurrence. Sometimes things just happen but I'm like you. I would be concerned. But I would guess there is nothing to be worried about. That's easy for me to say bc it's not happening to me.

Caustic Burno":3f9hyy7d said:
Lepto? Nitrate poisoning? Breech that were born dead? A host of other causes.
Without posting at the Vet just a guess.
Even with posting, it is difficult to determine. I've been told if you find a dead calf and you don't mind opening it up, you can take a piece of the lung and put it in water. If it floats, the calf was born alive.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1n58zt3u said:
Caustic Burno":1n58zt3u said:
Lepto? Nitrate poisoning? Breech that were born dead? A host of other causes.
Without posting at the Vet just a guess.
Even with posting, it is difficult to determine. I've been told if you find a dead calf and you don't mind opening it up, you can take a piece of the lung and put it in water. If it floats, the calf was born alive.
I definitely would of liked to examined today's calf a little closer. These were both cows so we don't really pay any attention to them. Yesterday's calf could of been dead a few days. Calved out 18 heifers and only helped two, and really only one needed help, but we were leaving so I just pulled it. Crazy how stuff always seems to happen on the weekends. We've been fighting flies weekly, I mixed some home brewed Ultra Sabre and added some Tempo into the mixture? That and gave them a paste an injectable wormer at the same time.

True Grit Farms":3faqx8l0 said:
I definitely would of liked to examined today's calf a little closer. These were both cows so we don't really pay any attention to them. Yesterday's calf could of been dead a few days. Calved out 18 heifers and only helped two, and really only one needed help, but we were leaving so I just pulled it. Crazy how stuff always seems to happen on the weekends. We've been fighting flies weekly, I mixed some home brewed Ultra Sabre and added some Tempo into the mixture? That and gave them a paste an injectable wormer at the same time.

Always like that here too. Seems like when Friday evening rolls around start looking. Just so you won't waste a trip, McDaniel is out of the office all next week. May have not have been who you would've called anyway. Been hearing about a vet down your way that people have been speaking pretty highly of. I think she's a lady vet. Haven't heard her name. You know who I'm talking about? Used her?

Donna Thompson she's more of a small animal horse vet. Laura Chaney a young vet out of Douglas came here for something related to the cows. I wasn't around but Theresa really like her. We've been dealing with Dr Jones in Tifton through UGA, you just need an appointment most of the time, and have to haul the cows there, or pay travel time. We had a veterinarian appreciation day at our last GCA meeting and gave Dr McDaniels a plaque, a $50 Longhorns gift certificate, a GCA license plate and a free GCA membership. He's helped everyone out with cows at one time or another.

True Grit Farms":wkj6ig4u said:
Donna Thompson she's more of a small animal horse vet. Laura Chaney a young vet out of Douglas came here for something related to the cows. I wasn't around but Theresa really like her. We've been dealing with Dr Jones in Tifton through UGA, you just need an appointment most of the time, and have to haul the cows there, or pay travel time. We had a veterinarian appreciation day at our last GCA meeting and gave Dr McDaniels a plaque, a $50 Longhorns gift certificate, a GCA license plate and a free GCA membership. He's helped everyone out with cows at one time or another.

Good info on the two lady vets. I don't know either one. McDaniel has been good to me. And fair. Sometimes I wish he acted a little more like he gave a $!*@. But other than that I really don't have any complaints. Sometimes we agree. Sometimes we don't. But we get along good and he's always worked with me.

Yep, every time a cow starts acting off it's Friday, so saturday is a "wait and see" day, Sunday is when something has to be done, if possible it's a long weekend.

Latest posts