odd thing since the flood. dead birds

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I don't know why, and to me it makes no sense, but ever since the Harvey flood a few weeks ago I've been finding dead birds around the place. One by the front porch the day after the water went down, another by the driveway a few days later, one out by the cowpen, one along the long drive coming to the house, and one along a fence I was inspecting yesterday. No particular species..black bird, a grackle, a swallow, and a bluebird. Some dead a little while..some seem to be freshly departed this world. I don't see any injuries except that they are dead. Haven't seen any cats around except our own 1 female, and she's been under the weather since we had her at the vet's being 'fixed' earlier this week.
Found several wing segments as well..species unknown, but one looked like a dove wing.
Very rarely ever see a dead bird around here..till now. I know dang well they didn't drown and besides, it's clear some have died just this last week.
?

greybeard":34ga7yjy said:
I don't know why, and to me it makes no sense, but ever since the Harvey flood a few weeks ago I've been finding dead birds around the place. One by the front porch the day after the water went down, another by the driveway a few days later, one out by the cowpen, one along the long drive coming to the house, and one along a fence I was inspecting yesterday. No particular species..black bird, a grackle, a swallow, and a bluebird. Some dead a little while..some seem to be freshly departed this world. I don't see any injuries except that they are dead. Haven't seen any cats around except our own 1 female, and she's been under the weather since we had her at the vet's being 'fixed' earlier this week.
Found several wing segments as well..species unknown, but one looked like a dove wing.
Very rarely ever see a dead bird around here..till now. I know dang well they didn't drown and besides, it's clear some have died just this last week.
?

They are spraying the counties with a neurotoxin for skeeters.
My county opted out. Most around opted for the governmental spraying for counties declared disaster areas.
You cross the county line you don't see dragon flies butterflies nothing.

My thinking is along similar lines as Caustic's. Something that the birds ate has caused them to sicken and die. Whether they have eaten moldy, "bad"-bacteria laden seeds, poisoned insects. That would do it.

I feed birds , sounds like an Avery around the house, 15 inches of constant rain lasting 4 days , now no birds, no spraying, I wondered what happened to them, maybe they drowned and died. Even the doves disappeared.
The hummingbirds are now migrating to Belize when they get to the coast it will be nothing for them to eat, they may not make it home for the winter.

Caustic Burno":24nfdkt4 said:
greybeard":24nfdkt4 said:
?

They are spraying the counties with a neurotoxin for skeeters.
My county opted out.
good,,, rather take my chances with skeeter bites, than cancer down the road... TVA use to spray regularly for them here. One area north of us in a town bordering the Tn. River,,Has more cancer patients than the whole state...

Judging from the number of live skeeters, dragonflies, and luna moths I see every day & night, I don't think they're doing any spraying here.. none I've heard of anyway. As picky as the Forest Service is about chemicals on their precious trees, I'm not sure they'd allow SanJac County to spray anyway.

Workinonit Farm":3a7aqu4l said:
Moldy, bad bacteria laden seeds.... That would do it.
Sounds more reasonable.

greybeard":vh9mn7g6 said:
Judging from the number of live skeeters, dragonflies, and luna moths I see every day & night, I don't think they're doing any spraying here.. none I've heard of anyway. As picky as the Forest Service is about chemicals on their precious trees, I'm not sure they'd allow SanJac County to spray anyway.

Workinonit Farm":vh9mn7g6 said:
Moldy, bad bacteria laden seeds.... That would do it.
Sounds more reasonable.

It was FEMA spraying

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rt.com ... -chemicals

They must not be doing much spraying tho. 6 million acres isn't very much. Harris county alone has 1,700 sq miles of land with 640 acres in each sq mile.=1.19 million acres.
I sure would have noticed if a c-130 type aircraft were spraying around here...

greybeard":1ld27bme said:
They must not be doing much spraying tho. 6 million acres isn't very much. Harris county alone has 1,700 sq miles of land with 640 acres in each sq mile.=1.19 million acres.
I sure would have noticed if a c-130 type aircraft were spraying around here...

I doubt you would a lot of counties got sprayed without the public awareness.
They spray at night and the 6 mil acres was the first go around.
Every county around you was sprayed Harris, Montgomery and Liberty .
The government offered it to every county declared a disaster area.
They were keeping it pretty quiet over here they didn't even advertise the public hearings.
It ended up being about ten counties around us. I know Jasper and Sabine were also sprayed.
http://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news ... /474882299

Latest posts