Odd Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I might be running into a small hitch in the calving season today, I have too calves with a bit of bloody stool (poo or whatever you'll call it), I'm sure it's scours of some sort, though I'm a little baffled by it.. for 1, the stool itself seems to be solid, but they have blood with it. Both calves of course have dirty butts, the usual giveaway, but both still suck and eat hay, and also play.. The one calf I was able to catch, I gave 2 oral scour boluses (she actually ate them out of my hand), the other, I'm going to try and catch when she is napping in the sun. I'd like some more advice on this if anyone has any, I have trivetrin on hand, but would like to hold off on it for a little yet. Anyone have any idea what kind of scours these are. This is in my calving season 2011 thread as well, so ignore that one

Just doing some research and seeing a lot of people talk about Coccidosis.. it sounds to me like a distinct possiblity.. are these scour boluses any use? I just can't remember the name they were...

alright, good to know... and I have some trivetrin if need be.. I'll make sure that second calf gets some pills tonight... though I'm quite certain she won't eat them out of my hand unfortunately

Hello, our calf also, I need some input she seems ok but running diareha still, we had her on the med milk replacer I mentioned this before and I kept her hydrated for the first few days. Now she is still playing but also still has the runny stool and today I seen blood in her stool. We did put her back on the regular milk replacer today. We were told to keep her on the medicated stuff for 7 days and we did it for 9 because of seeing the blood on and off. She will also lay down for a long period of time. I go out to check on her and she will get up and want to think she needs more to eat, she is eating some hay and trying to get her to drink more water on her own. She will still play around some. We are baffled or I am. She did a bowl movement about 10 min after eating that was when I noticed the blood, there was not much at all but enough for me. She has not done a normal bowl movement since she came home and now it is going on 10 days. Any info would be helpful. I do have the scour pills just not sure if I should give one to her?

Your problem sounds a bit different than mine.. for our calves the stools were mostly blood, and the stool itself wasn't runny... it took some time but ours got over it on their own... well... it didn't seem to make a difference when I compared the calf I gave scour boluses to and the one that I didn't.... It probably took them close to a month to completely clear up, but they're just fine now
I wouldn't see any harm in giving the calf the boluses you have, especially since you have them, but if it's possible, get a vet to take a look at a stool sample and see what is the root cause

Latest posts