Odd question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a maximum amount of nitrogen bahia can take before it burns it and sets it back?

Jogeephus":290gjide said:
Anyone know if there is a maximum amount of nitrogen bahia can take before it burns it and sets it back?
If its like the Bahia here, it will just laugh at you.
Its taking over out here. When we moved out here there was no bahia or fire ants. I've managed to keep it out of my acre lawn by spot spraying MSMA..
I know a guy who combines the seeds from his bahia...makes good money doing it.

Actually, I have some bahia grass in spots in my bermuda that look like its been sprayed with MSMA. I'm doing an experiment and am wondering if its the nitrogen or something else in the concoction but the bahia is none to happy with whatever it is.

Jogeephus":2rkn5vee said:
Actually, I have some bahia grass in spots in my bermuda that look like its been sprayed with MSMA. I'm doing an experiment and am wondering if its the nitrogen or something else in the concoction but the bahia is none to happy with whatever it is.
Its the only thing I've found that even knocks it back..Bermuda loves whatever is in it. Browns it a bit, but it comes back thicker.

cowgirl8":10nllj2q said:
Jogeephus":10nllj2q said:
Its the only thing I've found that even knocks it back..Bermuda loves whatever is in it. Browns it a bit, but it comes back thicker.

I've killed it with herbicides but I believe you really need to also use a pre-emergent to keep the seed from sprouting and coming right back. Right enough, its a hard grass to kill.

Know nothing about Bahia but if you pour the N to the Bermuda and spray it it will really choke stuff out.
Spray once with 1/2 gallon of msma or twice with a Qt. throw a 1/2 gallon of atzrine and 1.5 pts of duel to it.
It can easy take 200 units of n if you split it. Out corn gets 180 units and the Bermuda on the ditches gets knee high. Course it's been sprayed too.

Oh another thing that some are doing.
Hay growers and golf courses are spraying 16 oz of roundup 4 days after cutting. The weds and other grades are growing faster and take it up and the Bermuda doesn't take it up so it isn't hurt. I haven't tried so can on,y tell you what I heard, not what I did.
I do however have a place I need to try it.

jedstivers":18e8s1x7 said:
Oh another thing that some are doing.
Hay growers and golf courses are spraying 16 oz of roundup 4 days after cutting. The weds and other grades are growing faster and take it up and the Bermuda doesn't take it up so it isn't hurt. I haven't tried so can on,y tell you what I heard, not what I did.
I do however have a place I need to try it.

I've used Roundup in bermuda to kill vassey grass. 12-14 oz does a good job. Much more and you get a little stunting of the bermuda but not enough to worry about to much. Might cost you a few days growth.

Theoretically I should be using the same amount of N as normal but the bahia is really taking a hit from this and am just wondering why. I might need to go back and check my math and calibration. Bermuda is loving it though. It looks almost blue. :lol2:

I've already pulled the trigger on it and the bermuda is growing like crazy with all the rain we've had but I'm just curious why it looks like the bahia patches have all but died. Never had that happen before. Maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. :lol2:

Here is the results from my last cutting doing this thing. I've tweaked the recipe a little this time though.

20637988_1755363128094912_4351480800792159842_n.jpg

Latest posts