Odd infection

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Had an odd one over the past couple weeks. Had a two week old calf with a swollen, warm hock a couple weeks ago, started treating it for joint ill. Infection left hock and traveled down leg to pastern, settled there. When we treated it a few days ago, looked like it was starting to drain out so we left it. Yesterday we noticed it was swollen about the size of a golf ball, caught it and lanced it. Got about half a cup of key lime pudding and blood, stunk to high be nice.

Any takers?

cfpinz

I have seen, a couple of times, where navel/joint ill appears to have "traveled". Perhaps that's the case with this one.

I had a bottle calf (Angus) where it started in one knee, and went to the other knee and came out of it healthy and sound.

Just a thought/guess.

Katherine

my neighbors Santa Gert bull had a 2" roung ball come up on his chest. Hair came off around it and it busted and drained. Sprayed it with "purple" wound spray and it healed up. I think it was a splinter.....he likes to rub and scratch.

Workinonit Farm":2fg9v8l9 said:
I have seen, a couple of times, where navel/joint ill appears to have "traveled". Perhaps that's the case with this one.

I had a bottle calf (Angus) where it started in one knee, and went to the other knee and came out of it healthy and sound.

Just a thought/guess.

Katherine

That's the idea the wife and I were kicking around but you should have seen/smelled the goo that came out. I made the mistake of being downwind holding the buggar while the wife did the lancing, almost tossed my taters. With that much drainage I would think it would come from foreign matter, that's what puzzled me. Could have picked up a piece of wood or the like as others mentioned, who knows. I just hope he doesn't lose that toe.

cfpinz

Like you, I would have thought Naval Ill when the knee was swollen - but with it dropping down and all that puss doesn't sound right. More like a normal infection - which, you may not know what caused it, but may be easier to handle than Naval Ill. Keep us posted.

cfpinz":3hqa58ce said:
Workinonit Farm":3hqa58ce said:

Just a thought/guess.

Katherine

That's the idea the wife and I were kicking around but you should have seen/smelled the goo that came out. I made the mistake of being downwind holding the buggar while the wife did the lancing, almost tossed my taters. With that much drainage I would think it would come from foreign matter, that's what puzzled me. Could have picked up a piece of wood or the like as others mentioned, who knows. I just hope he doesn't lose that toe.

cfpinz

i was going to ask you if you tasted it.
what did you treat with? i have one like that i figured got stepped on since it showed up so late but she doesnt seem to be getting any better.

Beefy":2zmcwyk6 said:
i was going to ask you if you tasted it.

Where do you think I got the key lime pie reference from?

what did you treat with? i have one like that i figured got stepped on since it showed up so late but she doesnt seem to be getting any better.

Been using LA penicillin and banamine. He got a shot of nuflor one day by accident. We've got everything here, but the infection seems to just want to run its course and pen is cheap. "Scooter" puts a little pressure on that foot, but makes out pretty fast on the other three, he's not hurtin too bad.

cfpinz

For anyone that cares, Scooter and his mom are doing fine, got turned out of the intensive care unit the other day. Kept up the penicillin treatments, swelling went down and he didn't lose his toe. Wish we would have lanced him sooner.

cfpinz

sidney411":152uhz6x said:
Glad he's doing better! I'm sure they were both glad to get out of jail. Did you take any pics? :lol:

No, but if I did it would only show his little "O"hio license plate going across the field away from me. :lol:

cfpinz

cfpinz":2wmox7ey said:
For anyone that cares, Scooter and his mom are doing fine, got turned out of the intensive care unit the other day.

cfpinz

That's good news! Glad to hear it turned out okay.

Thanks for the update.

Katherine

Latest posts