Odd encounter

Help Support CattleToday:

Must not have been a protest scheduled that day, so they decided to volunteer for road inspection.

There are a few that do that here, but they are all 75 to 90 year old retired farmers.

I don't think anyone has spoke from a biker's perspective.

I belong to a couple of biker groups on FB. There is this thing going around about grass on the road making it slick as ice. I can never tell if they are serious, but some wing nuts get militant about it. Used to ride through the grass clippings and like how it looked in my rear view mirror, splitting them up with the wind. I like doing the same thing with leaves in the fall.

Anyway - People are crazy now. They have an opinion and for some odd reason feel entitled to force it on you.

Keep in mind the crazy part. You are never disappointed by expecting the worse, but almost always disappointed expecting the best.

HDRider said:
I don't think anyone has spoke from a biker's perspective.

I belong to a couple of biker groups on FB. There is this thing going around about grass on the road making it slick as ice. I can never tell if they are serious, but some wing nuts get militant about it. Used to ride through the grass clippings and like how it looked in my rear view mirror, splitting them up with the wind. I like doing the same thing with leaves in the fall.

Anyway - People are crazy now. They have an opinion and for some odd reason feel entitled to force it on you.

Keep in mind the crazy part. You are never disappointed by expecting the worse, but almost always disappointed expecting the best.

Quote there I plan to remember.

I would have to bag up the grass and haul it 400 yards or so to put it on the road. The neighbor has a band of about 10 horses, brood mares, yearlings, and two year olds that keep all the grass along the road cleared off. I refer to them as the roadside vegetation management team.
A couple weeks ago there was a couple parked at the end of my driveway. They had a flat tire and no spare. They had drove a ways on the flat to get here. I gave the husband a ride to town so he could get a new tire. As we went past the neighbor's place he said, "I wonder if he knows his horses are out." I replies, "Yes, yes he does."
After reading what it is like where a lot of you live, I thank God everyday that I live here. We never lock the house unless we are going to be gone over night. The keys are in the vehicles, tractors, and quads. The shop is open and never gets locked. Fuel in bulk tanks. And that is not just me. The entire valley is the same way.

Last year a farmer a county over was aquited on murder charges. Two guys rolled their jeep off the road into his ditch bank. When he went out to see if they were okay one of them started beating the tar out of him. He had his .45 with him on his property. He shot the guy that was assaulting him, and he was arrested on murder charges.
It came out at the trial the the two guys were drunk and had enough drugs in the jeep to qualify for dealing charges.
It's a sad world when you don't feel safe seeing if someone is in trouble.

MurraysMutts said:
I'd have just told em to get lost.. lol

My grandpa had a pet peeve about mowing grass into the street as well. He would actually get a bit angry. And he was not an angry person. He jumped all over me one time for mowing his place into the street. He said how would u feel if u had to come along and clean up someone elses mess they mowed into the street? What I took from it, was he saw it as a sign of laziness. And a respect for others property. The road is public property. To be used by the public. Take from that what u will. I mean no offense. But now that u bring up the motorcycle issue, I can see that. He rode bikes all over Tripoli, Burma, Saudi Arabia while overseas on duty. Thing were very different over there.
One thing he told me that stuck with me, and this was years and years ago, I was just a kid then.
He told me in some of those areas, you could set something down anywhere, and come back weeks later and it would still be right where u left it. Thieves over there got their clean hand taken off and it was a great shame. Hence, not to many thieves. Lol
Now I'm rambling.
Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane...

Edited to add...
To this day I mow the outside pass inwards to my property. The old man, i had a lot of respect for.

I think we all do that don't we ?

Why would anyone intentionally put large amounts of cutting on a road.

Down here, the verge is local govts really, in many rural places, you could prob have them do it if it was really a problem ?

I have a few diff mowers, the slasher or brush hog leaves material at rear, one ride on has mulch so it going nowhere, and the one that ejects, I just make first pass so it is thrown away from road.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I do not buy it, a car full of young people just waiting around to tell me how too mow, how long would a car full of young people wait for anything, and they are less patient than we prob were.

Seeing a lot of you have rights to carry arms and protect property, I would impressed upon them never to hang around my property again.

I also spent years riding push bikes and some years on motor, never once recall an issue with grass, I do not recall lots of it ever being on a road, not the line you would ride anyway, water or soapy water etc, a def threat.

I try to mowe and keep the grass out of the street. If it does get in the street I make a couple passes a blow it back in the yard.

The people that shred the ditches here along the highway throw all kinds of grass up on the road.

I've made some pretty rude comments to people who decided to interject their opinions on me. I judge real fast their tone and attitude and respond accordingly. If they are nice about it I try to be nice and just go on about my way. If they are rude and think every one should follow their orders I have no problem spouting off some crazy ****.

This reminds me of the time my dad was cutting down sappling trees on our road verge and a greenie stopped and had a go at him. Dad asked him to step over the fence and they'd sort it out. The guy hot footed it to his car. Of course he reported it and my dad copped a fine soooo every year my brother and i as teenagers were sent down to cut them all down. We never had a problem. Whats funny is this 500m stretch had huge gum trees. We used to cut down the sapplings to stop it becoming a forest. One day main roads decided to widen the road and in one day took down every single tree! They came and re planted it all with natives. They all died....no idea why.......

We get folks that will drive by and slow down real slow going past our place, about break their necks looking. Till all the craziness in the world I really didn't think much of it. Now I have taken to looking at the vehicles much closer. I will admit we have done a little defensive thought in case things get crazy out this way. Mainly just plans of actions on where the kids need to go in the houses what would be needed if it's just myself and the girls here with kids to protect ourselves. It's very sad to see the craziness spreading like wild fire everywhere it seems. We have had strangers stopping and asking questions about our ducks and chickens as they are the closest to the road and easier to see. Which I think is strange.

Redgully said:
This reminds me of the time my dad was cutting down sappling trees on our road verge and a greenie stopped and had a go at him. Dad asked him to step over the fence and they'd sort it out. The guy hot footed it to his car. Of course he reported it and my dad copped a fine soooo every year my brother and i as teenagers were sent down to cut them all down. We never had a problem. Whats funny is this 500m stretch had huge gum trees. We used to cut down the sapplings to stop it becoming a forest. One day main roads decided to widen the road and in one day took down every single tree! They came and re planted it all with natives. They all died....no idea why.......

Natives lives matter though too red....

Bigfoot said:
MurraysMutts said:

My grandpa had a pet peeve about mowing grass into the street as well. He would actually get a bit angry. And he was not an angry person. He jumped all over me one time for mowing his place into the street. He said how would u feel if u had to come along and clean up someone elses mess they mowed into the street? What I took from it, was he saw it as a sign of laziness. And a respect for others property. The road is public property. To be used by the public. Take from that what u will. I mean no offense. But now that u bring up the motorcycle issue, I can see that. He rode bikes all over Tripoli, Burma, Saudi Arabia while overseas on duty. Thing were very different over there.
One thing he told me that stuck with me, and this was years and years ago, I was just a kid then.
He told me in some of those areas, you could set something down anywhere, and come back weeks later and it would still be right where u left it. Thieves over there got their clean hand taken off and it was a great shame. Hence, not to many thieves. Lol
Now I'm rambling.

Edited to add...
To this day I mow the outside pass inwards to my property. The old man, i had a lot of respect for.

I agree. I now one pass in, then one out (lotta it hits the road), then a pass back on the highway to blow that grass back, then the return trip won't reach the road. This bozo saw me do that as well. So, I guess in theory, for some length of time, I do have grass on the road.
Are you liking that zero turn any better?

jltrent said:
Bigfoot said:
MurraysMutts said:

Now I'm rambling.

Edited to add...

I agree. I now one pass in, then one out (lotta it hits the road), then a pass back on the highway to blow that grass back, then the return trip won't reach the road. This bozo saw me do that as well. So, I guess in theory, for some length of time, I do have grass on the road.
Are you liking that zero turn any better?

Yes, I'm now of the opinion it's the only way to go.

We live down a long gravel driveway very private no close neighbors, nobody just drive back to our house. When my son was just born I was sitting in our livingroom with him asleep on my lap. I saw a car come up the driveway I thought it was a delivery truck. I didn't actually see the car just a glimpse of a vehicle pass. This guy got out came to the door then went around to every window taping. As bad as it ticked me off I went to the door waking my son... I asked the guy if I could help him. He was high as could be I'm sure scoping the place cause he thought nobody was home. He rambled off some crab about oh he was at the wrong house as he stuck his entire head inside the doorway looking around like some wild animal would do. At that time my husband walked up. The guy very quickly had to leave. I'm talking full speed run to his car. He had out of outa town license plates Alabama. My husband tried to follow him but he was gone.
A week later a girl I know was having a new house build. They found a guy sounded the same in a car with Alabama plates sleeping inside her new house that wasn't finished. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I don't know the guy's story or intentions. He definitely seemed very high. If he asked for food, water, or a few dollars I'd gave it to him but creeping around like that was just plain weird and creepy.

Kind of like your story...if the people was that concerned about the grass they could have got a broom and sweep it the road. There are way more things in the world going on than worry about a little grass on the road. 🙄 Just cause your a preacher doesn't make you perfect your human, you handle the situation like most people would have. Where is your church maybe I want to come. 😊

Chevy said:
We live down a long gravel driveway very private no close neighbors, nobody just drive back to our house. When my son was just born I was sitting in our livingroom with him asleep on my lap. I saw a car come up the driveway I thought it was a delivery truck. I didn't actually see the car just a glimpse of a vehicle pass. This guy got out came to the door then went around to every window taping. As bad as it ticked me off I went to the door waking my son... I asked the guy if I could help him. He was high as could be I'm sure scoping the place cause he thought nobody was home. He rambled off some crab about oh he was at the wrong house as he stuck his entire head inside the doorway looking around like some wild animal would do. At that time my husband walked up. The guy very quickly had to leave. I'm talking full speed run to his car. He had out of outa town license plates Alabama. My husband tried to follow him but he was gone.
A week later a girl I know was having a new house build. They found a guy sounded the same in a car with Alabama plates sleeping inside her new house that wasn't finished. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I don't know the guy's story or intentions. He definitely seemed very high. If he asked for food, water, or a few dollars I'd gave it to him but creeping around like that was just plain weird and creepy.

Kind of like your story...if the people was that concerned about the grass they could have got a broom and sweep it the road. There are way more things in the world going on than worry about a little grass on the road. 🙄 Just cause your a preacher doesn't make you perfect your human, you handle the situation like most people would have. Where is your church maybe I want to come. 😊

It's in Lafayette Ky. Only church there (still holding services). Come on down for a visit. I've got some videos floating around Youtube somewhere under Narrow Trail Ministries.

I talked to a preacher friend in Louisianna, and I've made my piece with losing my cool.
1. Our gut instinct/first reaction to anything is not Godly. I wasn't rideing around the yard on a mower contemplating how I would react to some hot head. Situation sprung up, and I reacted in the moment (not a great excuse, but I found some peace in it)
2. Somebody starts crossing the normal boundaries of society, you don't know where their boundary actually is. It was best I draw a line, so he'd know to stay on his side.
3. Probably more Christ like ways to teach him, but that kind of behavior could actually get him hurt bad. If he'd pulled that stunt 2 houses down, there is a man that actually might beat him to death.