Odd birthmarks

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Anybody ever see a birthmark like this? This heifer has had this mark since day one. I thought it would go away but it has just gotten more pronounced as she has grown. She is about 20 months old now.

Use to see them occasionally on holsteins. Old timers would call them "milk spots" and the cow supposedly but would be a great milker.

This birthmark looks like the outline of a white headed man with a beard. I had another calf that had a red patch on her hip though everywhere else she was coal black. That looked pretty weird.

HOSS, I have an angus cow that has the same looking mark on her side. Only it is half of her side. I have been wondering if it was a birth mark or something.

Hoss, if you remember the four high dollar calves I showed you a few years ago, one of them had that mark on them which made the animal affordable for me. (Took $15,500 off the value of the calf) Anyhow, that ring grew but it has also walked up its neck and rather than being on the side of the neck it is now straddling the top of the neck and its grown a little too. Her calves don't have it so I guess they are worth $16,000 each if you want to buy one and replace yours with a nonblemished fancy calf. I'll even knock off $500 if you'll give me that calf.

Jogeephus":1f7aap3u said:
Hoss, if you remember the four high dollar calves I showed you a few years ago, one of them had that mark on them which made the animal affordable for me. (Took $15,500 off the value of the calf) Anyhow, that ring grew but it has also walked up its neck and rather than being on the side of the neck it is now straddling the top of the neck and its grown a little too. Her calves don't have it so I guess they are worth $16,000 each if you want to buy one and replace yours with a nonblemished fancy calf. I'll even knock off $500 if you'll give me that calf.

Well Jo, while I appreciate the generous offer, I must decline. With calves being as high as they are today....and ghost rings being rare and in high demand....I believe this heifer to be worth $30,000 if somebody would give me that much for her. She is also bred to a purebred bull worth $50,000 if somebody would give me that much for him. :mrgreen:

We have a few. We have one cow, Tink, that has a heart on her cheek as big as your fist and clearly defined. When we clipped her for show, we would have to dye her cheek so it was solid black because it was on the show side (right cheek). It makes her unique. There is a popular simmental bull that has one like yours on his neck, and they pictured him that way.

Hoss, your math is all wrong. $30,000 + $50,000 is $80,000 any way you cut it. And if you use Purina Mineral that colored stuff it'll fetch 20% more!

As I recall, I was thinking the mark on my calf was from an injection. That's what my buyer thought it was. I remember posting the question and since it was a blemish on an PB fancy Angus Crankie jumped all over me for pointing out them anguses ain't perfect and CAN be flawed.

Latest posts