October photo contest 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
Creek or watercourse on your property or nearby.

October photo contest
•Will be now until last day of October.
•Please enter only one photo for the contest.
•Please vote by clicking like on the photo you like.
•Please only vote one time.
•Thanks everyone who participates.
Have a nice day and enjoy fall!!

0B7CE58F-AC9D-4BAD-A552-33E527A7AD42.jpegThis is not very interesting, but it's on our property. We've always called the part where it starts on us a branch but it's the starting of Four Mile Creek. Our part can dry up in real dry conditions, but in heavy rains it can get pretty wild. Have to do a lot of water gap patching as it winds through our line fence 3 times. On farther down it becomes a significant creek that often gets over some places on some roads and in one case a road runs through it and is often closed. The farm that my mother grew up on was in further down along the creek and for years the creek bed was literally their road for about a mile to get to their house.

View attachment 9028This is not very interesting, but it's on our property. We've always called the part where it starts on us a branch but it's the starting of Four Mile Creek. Our part can dry up in real dry conditions, but in heavy rains it can get pretty wild. Have to do a lot of water gap patching as it winds through our line fence 3 times. On farther down it becomes a significant creek that often gets over some places on some roads and in one case a road runs through it and is often closed. The farm that my mother grew up on was in further down along the creek and for years the creek bed was literally their road for about a mile to get to their house.

I've been places like that. Actually, back in the day the old TomTom GPS would always take us to places like that. Interesting for sure. We have some similar creeks been flooded in or out many times.

Probably as bad, but not worse than the geese! It's actually surreal to see them on the watershed. Who knew pelicans hung out in Kansas?
We get pelicans in central Australia TC, on waterholes around Birdsville, Cooper Ck and the Channel Country. You can't get more remote and away from the coastline as there.

Ken

We get pelicans in central Australia TC, on waterholes around Birdsville, Cooper Ck and the Channel Country. You can't get more remote and away from the coastline as there.

Ken

Are you a day ahead of most the United States?! 12-15 hour time difference?!

As of the date time of this post (11:19 PM Central USA time on 5 Oct) :
It is 2:18 PM
Wednesday, October 6, 2021 (GMT+10)
Time in Queensland, Australia

Queensland Aus is 14 hours ahead of us in central USA.

Yeh I think that's about right Shell, the international date line is east of NZ and then the sun comes up to us and then it has a fair way to go before it gets to you. We get all the breaking news before you do.

Ken

The creek on my property is mostly dry now but it has a few places that are still holding water. After a good hard rain this can become a torrent that leaves it's banks and grows to be 200-300 yards wide. In the summer the trees like to soak up all that moisture and it's about the only place on the property that will grow a tree other than a mesquite. (For people that aren't familiar with mesquites, it's a nuisance thorny bush that seems to grow best in dry years. It invades your pastures inflicting their wrath on every tire you own. Spraying to kill mesquites is an annual chore to keep them under control.)IMG_6411.jpg

There was an old hand dug well from before my time. Decades ago the creek changed course slightly and now the well has now been claimed by the creek, these are the remnants of whats left.

IMG_6409.jpg

Probably as bad, but not worse than the geese! It's actually surreal to see them on the watershed. Who knew pelicans hung out in Kansas?
We saw them on one of our reservoirs in SE Mt. They are interesting birds.

This was in my dad's autograph book:
What a funny bird is the pelican
With a beak near as big as their bellycan
They can get enough in their beak
To last for a week
And I don't see how in the hellycan. (written just like this back in 1928)

A billabong on my place. I think in the tin mining days in the early 1900's they had a dredge in the creek here and pumped the tailings up along a wall forming a permanent waterhole about 100 metres long. The end where the creek runs through had eroded away so it was just a chain of ponds, my grandson and his father reinstated the wall at the end so now it holds water. I am going to stock it this summer with yellowbelly and some Murray Cod. I think the yellowbelly will do well and it will be challenging climbing along the bank flicking out lures amongst the snags.P1020577.JPG

This is the Burnt River from my bridge. It is about 200 yards down the driveway from our front door. This is the winter flow rate. There is a dam upstream about 35 miles by road. That reservoir is just under 1,000 acres and holds 27,000 acre feet of water. They hold back water in the winter and during the spring run off. Then slowly release it all summer to irrigate thousands of acres of hay and pasture.PA251242.JPG

Latest posts