OCC Zodiac?

Help Support CattleToday:

I asked for professional opinions. Not cheap shots from people that sell their cattle at the sale barn.

If there is nothing special about that bull why are people paying tens of thousands for his calves ? And why does OCC refuses to sell straws from him ?

What bull are you referring to? There may be more, but I looked on the Internet and found two Zodiac bulls.
OCC Zodiac 655Z and OCC Zodiac 310G

Based on the numbers for 655Z, his progeny are born small and stay small. That's why they are very feed efficient. The description says he makes beautiful females, but the milk EPD is only 12. No, thank you.

310G does not appear to be registered Angus. He is a product of the Angus II Bull program at Ohlde Cattle Company. 310G is said to contain power and performance because his progeny are born small and grow. Like what people call a curve bender bull. A Fleshing score of 8 sounds good, but I don't know what that entails. The Yearling score of 108 is very good in a grass finish program, but not so much in a grain finish program.

>>And why does OCC refuses to sell straws from him ?<<
Lot of places have a straws available for a group of bulls, but not every bull.

Following this one with great interest. I was thinking about buying some OCC pairs I had found. After pricing them and learning some things about them from the owner and here on good ol' CT, I'm passing for now. It looked to me from the ones I looked at you have to be careful not to end up with some smaller framed cows than I care for, and what sell good here. May put the influence in the herd from AI sometime, we'll see.

Look here chief, never forget that without the commercial cattleman you might as well be breeding poodles because we are the supply for the demand.
Let's keep it civil men, but this statement is true. I don't care for the way breeding cattle are judged from being stuffed full of hot feed, especially heifers. Been many a good heifer ruined from her life on the show circuit. Steers, by all means, that's their intended purpose.

If there is nothing special about that bull why are people paying tens of thousands for his calves ? And why does OCC refuses to sell straws from him ?
OCC probably believes selling semen would reduce the value of their live inventory.
A couple of people making a poor business decision doesn't make for greatness.

Case in point.
1977 John Deere 2640 with 4,000 hours greatest tractor ever built?
sold 4/28/21 by Julien's Auction House in Beverly Hills, Ca for $64,000

comparison - JD 2640 previous record high 16,275
1981 JD 2640 ex condition Davenport, Iowa March 2021
64k - 16,275 = 47,725 difference

pretty good for a tractor that sold for $17-18k new

Last edited:
From afar it seems certain big name breeders have their 'groupies' and this could well be a case of that. I saw a bull sell the other day for near on 60k, the breeder is all about advertising their 'rare' genetics. This bull is straight in the shoulder, weak loin, questionable feet and nuts the size of wallnuts. And get this, people are lining up for semen because he sold for good money so must be good! Sometimes you just have to shake your head.

What makes this bull so special and exclusive? Thanks.
We saw the bull in the pasture servicing cows, he was really good. I have photos of him somewhere possibly on a CT thread it was three or four years ago.
I found the thread and commented on it so it would come up I did get a photo and made some comments on the zodiac bull. I couldn't figure out how to copy the photo

Can't post pic...Im a OCC groupie..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Latest posts