OCC Prototype

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I was talking with a fellow yesterday that has a commercial herd using a lot of Diamond D and OCC bulls-- and he said the OCC Prototype calves this year were probably the best he had--even better than the Missing Links and Pinebank 41/97's that he had been high on before earlier in the year....
He also had good things to say about OCC Paxton bloodline calves...

Anyone else having any experiences with these bulls....

Here is a Paxton son at almost 11 months:

pax2.jpg

pax1.jpg

BW - 57
205 Adj - 590

No offense but I hope he grows out of whatever phase he's going through in that first picture.

That might just be the best advertisement for a Burdizzo that I have seen in a while.

That first picture does not impress me. Bull looks too short with not enough growth. Starting to see calves like this show up in the sale barns and they are being docked.

I sold about 30 puds and toads this week.One group tied for the top of the sale,other group was a penny and a half off the top.Anything that sold higher was long weaned,mine were weaned the night before the sale.Sale barn had a run of about 2,600 head.Every time you see a big gutted calf with no ass or growth go thru the ring,do you think that must be out of one of them tiny cows,or could it be that they just didn't have any thing to eat but crap hay?

Looks like this thread been stolen . . . . :eek:

Not seen prototype calves. I plan on using more OCC though so I'm interested to see what other feedback you get - and I appreciate what you've already shared.

Prototype is a definate changer bull. Put him on some framey thinner made cows and he'll turn them into moderate thick made cattle in a generation. Definately adds a lot of muscle and thickness. From helping Tim out I have seen a lot of Prototypes and have used him some myself. I have really liked what I've seen

Paxton is also a very good sire. He is an outcross for most of the OCC stuff and has some added growth in the package. The females are definately powerful and stylish!

OCC is a fascinating breed line . . . their breeding at sales is consistently at the upper level of the offering, yet their epds in some "key" areas are typically on the lower end.

Oldtimer":entwddnx said:
I was talking with a fellow yesterday that has a commercial herd using a lot of Diamond D and OCC bulls-- and he said the OCC Prototype calves this year were probably the best he had--even better than the Missing Links and Pinebank 41/97's that he had been high on before earlier in the year....
He also had good things to say about OCC Paxton bloodline calves...

Anyone else having any experiences with these bulls....

I can't remember who sent me the PM asking about Prototype last week- and my PM record got lost in the sites board problems :roll: --

But anyway I got to talk with the fella again today- and while he said the Prototypes, Missing Link, and 41-97's were good calves they were just average-- and when weaning time came around it was the OCC Paxtons that impressed him the most....He said the Prototype bull calves were more feminine looking- and finer boned than the Paxtons--where the Paxtons bull calves looked like bulls- and were heavier built...But like he said- thats not to say by spring the Prototypes may not start showing better--but right now it was the Paxtons he was really high on....

I sold 10 steers for freezer beef on November 19th. All sired by my OCC Legend 916S bull that I had pictured on here. I received $1.75 per lb on carcass weight. Carcass averaged 610 lbs. So each calf brought in on average $1067.50 Calves were all born in April or May 2008. Weaned in mid November 2008, average weaning weight of 626 at 180 days. Fed hay all winter, no grain, Hay averaged 20lbs per day to be generous, since it was round bales and not limit fed. 3 1000 lb $30 mixed grass, alfalfa and clover round bales for a cost of $90. Vaccinations, worming and minerals were $30 per head. Pasture rent @$10 per head per month was $70, it was good pasture. Total expense in feeding those calves was $190.00.

Epds up there across the board or not, I am impressed with what those Ohlde cattle are capable of doing.

So Mac, would that make them about 18 months at harvest?

That isn't much carcass weight for an 18 month old bull.

KMacGinley":37tsif4p said:
Really? I think you are missing the point.
-

Mac-

Of COURSE Sam is missing the point!! :dunce: Would you think anything differently - after MONTHS of texting, and posting about the importance of COW SIZE, and how it affects the BOTTOM LINE of beef production, or the PROFIT to be realized with smaller cows - and then have someone come up with that kind of a statement regarding SIZE? You can lead a horse to water - but you can't make him - - - THINK!

He misses most points! :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2j59y34s said:
KMacGinley":2j59y34s said:
Really? I think you are missing the point.
-

Mac-

Of COURSE Sam is missing the point!! :dunce: Would you think anything differently - after MONTHS of texting, and posting about the importance of COW SIZE, and how it affects the BOTTOM LINE of beef production, or the PROFIT to be realized with smaller cows - and then have someone come up with that kind of a statement regarding SIZE? You can lead a horse to water - but you can't make him - - - THINK!

He misses most points! :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

I didn't miss anything Doc, in fact Mac made less on his steer than the guy made on the steer I bought last month, and that one was only 14 months old. That means four fewer months to maintain the steer and that carcass weighed 10% more, you do the math. :tiphat:

Latest posts