OCC Legend 916S

Help Support CattleToday:

Boston_and_cows_215.jpg

Boston_and_cows_213.jpg

Boston_and_cows_208.jpg

Thanks Rocket!

OT: He is a low 5 High 4. Calves very easy, 2 calf crops on the ground from him now. This picture was taken after he had bred 53 cows. Very easy fleshing as they say. He has never had any corn.

Thanks Rocket!

OT: He is a low 5 High 4. Calves very easy, 2 calf crops on the ground from him now. This picture was taken after he had bred 53 cows. Very easy fleshing as they say. He has never had any corn.

I posted pictures of his first calves last fall, if you look up my member gallery some of them are on there. I tried to post some new ones an hour ago, but it wouldn't upload them. I need to take some better ones and will try tomorrow. His registration number is 15652100.

His calves are very light at birth and grow well. They are pretty well muscled as bulls and pretty correct. The heifers, (I think) are beautiful. We will have 13 calving next spring to our other Ohlde bull.

The best thing about his calves is that they hit the ground and get with it searching for that udder. And the dispositions are very good.

When one sees a bull that looks like this one does, and particularly after breeding 53 cows and maintaining this kind of condition on grass, you can say "THIS is what high quality Beef Production is all about! THIS is what makes a beef producer money, and keeps him in the business." Then when you look at the EPD's, and realize that using Phenotype, Genotype and Functional Traits as criteria for seedstock selection, you can see that THIS breeder knows what he is doing! Congratulations, Mac. Ohlde strikes again!

DOC HARRIS

Really nice bull. I am VERY impressed.

However I am curious how he can have a plus 12 for CED and a plus 1 for CEM. Is this another Cherokee Canyon type issue(pelvic structure issues) or what.

I bid on 3 "average bulls", I would like to cross the Keeney/ Shoshone type cattle with the Ohlde type cattle. I want a Keeney bull to breed his 1st calf heifer daughters to next spring. Mike said that he will set me up with a 6309 son next spring.

I intend to use Legend 916S on my older cows for the indefinite future. His next stop will be Pontiac to get a few straws collected.

3waycross":3r7yx7ps said:

However I am curious how he can have a plus 12 for CED and a plus 1 for CEM. Is this another Cherokee Canyon type issue(pelvic structure issues) or what.

Could someone who understands EPD's better than I do please answer my question. I really like the bull and would use him as an AI sire but not without understanding the CED and CEM number disparity.

3waycross":2wpyg386 said:
3waycross":2wpyg386 said:

Could someone who understands EPD's better than I do please answer my question. I really like the bull and would use him as an AI sire but not without understanding the CED and CEM number disparity.

I don't know for sure why that is what it is. I will have a pretty good handle on it next spring when the 13 calve. I do not think that there is anything wrong with the heifers pelvic size though. They have plenty of width. We have calved out 2 Legend daughters (his sire) and they had absolutely no problem calving. I will try to take a few pictures tonight. We leave for National FFA convention tomorrow so I may not get them on until later in the week.

3waycross":zdsjr28u said:
3waycross":zdsjr28u said:

I can't answer that question, but if you'll notice the accuracies are low. In looking through this bull's sire, grandsire, etc., pedigrees, one bull had a negative (-) MCE EPD. It would take lots of good reports to overcome that. That doesn't mean there's a problem with these bulls or their daughters, it just means we don't know.

Latest posts