OCC Anchor 771A

Help Support CattleToday:

I have always liked OCC Ancor.

He is a great angus bull
his CED is +6
and BW +2.5

so he should be fine to use

I have only seen a few Anchor and they have been ok. Nothing crazy, but certainly nothing to single him out as great. My buddy seen the bull down at Ohlde and the rolled around on the ground for a while unable to believe how short he was. They were impressed with his meat though.

A common slogan I have heard about all is " Anchor, stops all forward progress" Claiming not enough growth, stretch.

I guess depends on why you need to use Anchor and what you are trying to do.

SEC-

I curious about your "growth and stretch" comments, not sure I know exactly what you mean.?.?.? Not goot replacements?

I like the phenotype of this bull, and many of OCCs for that matter. I am looking for good performance on grass, and would like to add a little more depth to the small herd of Simmentals that I have now. I know of one other gentlemen that had AId 30 of his angus cows last year to Anchor (I havent heard of this guy since to see how the calves are turning out) But he was going in generally in the same direction that I would like to go.

The simmentals I have are great for gaining on grain, but Im looking for better grass performance..

I will admit, Im a rookie to breeding cattle and picking out AI sires....

Thanks

I don't think OCC promotes Anchor for heifers. I have a neighbor that is getting 80-95 lbs. calves out of Maine cows. I think you would be happier leaving him to the cows! He should give you nice moderate cattle and excellent daughters.

If you feel like you have to use an OCC bull, spend the extra money and use Emblazon. You will like the Emblazon calves much better than the Anchor calves.

alright I'm here to the rescue. Anchor is going add depth, thickness and capacity while SERIOUSLY knocking frame size. He's not going to grow like a continental like some angus these days but his daughters will wean 55-60% of their mature weight which will be between 1000-1200#.

If you looking for a good heifer bull from ohlde look at Legend if your not worred about $$ of semen, but Homer is cheaper and just as proven at calving ease consitently being known to throw 60 pound calves.

I would say don't spend the money on getting Emblazon and go with his son Legend. Ever Legend calf I've seen has been impressive, thick, deep, and very eye appealing animals. We have 4 on the ground and are extremely impressed after they hit about 3 weeks old they block up incredibly but squirt out of the heifers with no problem.

Latest posts