Obviously pregnant, Over due and not bagging up!

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
I have a 10 yr old cow who should have calved on the 10th of Jan. She is huge and pregnancy is obvious. (Also vet checked in Sept. ) She isn't bagging up though. She is very content. How far over can they go? Friend says: Call the vet, but I hate calling if there is probably nothing to worry about. (couple years ago I had a ewe who had the biggest udder I ever saw and laid around moaning all day so in a panic I called and he [the vet] said she's fine....gotta wait for her to lamb....here's your bill for 100$--rubbed her belly for 2 more weeks before she had her 3 lambs.)

Onthebit":mzgm9iiq said:
I have a 10 yr old cow who should have calved on the 10th of Jan. She is huge and pregnancy is obvious. (Also vet checked in Sept. ) She isn't bagging up though. She is very content. How far over can they go? Friend says: Call the vet, but I hate calling if there is probably nothing to worry about. (couple years ago I had a ewe who had the biggest udder I ever saw and laid around moaning all day so in a panic I called and he [the vet] said she's fine....gotta wait for her to lamb....here's your bill for 100$--rubbed her belly for 2 more weeks before she had her 3 lambs.)

God and Mother Nature will decide upon the time.

Two weeks and more is not uncommon.

Lots of cows do not bag up until the calf hits the ground and sucks.

Does not mean she does not have / will not have milk for the calf.

Patience is a virtue that you will have to exercise in this case.

Or, you can spend the money and have the veterinarian tell you the same thing - if it helps you sleep better then maybe it is worth it?

Take care

Bez+

You'll just have to let nature take it's course. Maybe she got bred the next cycle, and isn't due until Jan 31st or so. Vets are not perfect; a few years ago we bought a cow in the middle of December that was 8 months in calf; she didn't calve until the middle of April.

This past year we had a cow go 306 days gestation; no doubt about it because we had AI'ed her and then cleaned here up with a different breed bull. We also had some cows calve at 172 days gestation last year. Can be pretty variable.

If she is content I wouldn't call the vet. Does she have any discharge? As long as it is clear things are fine, if it is getting darker there could be a problem. I had a cow last year that passed her due date. She bagged up but not nearly as much as she nearly did so I just figured she didn't catch on the date I thought. I did have a bad deefing about it, but let her go. She seemed fine, chewing her cud and eating. By the time I really though something was wrong, it was too late; she had a dead calf in her, and she died.

Bez+ Spending the hundred for nothing doesn't help me sleep! Hah!

Willow: She arrived here April 4 so it can't be the next cycle that she was bred unless someone around here happens to have bulls jumping in and out of my fields.....

Discharge is clear if any. Going to wait a few more days and keep watching her.....My friend said a cow won't go more than 6 days over so that worried me.

2 weeks either way of the expected due date is in the "normal" range. After she calves if she doesn;t bag, then there is a problem. Just insure that you have some good quality colostrum or substitute on hand just in case.

if you are cold like us, sometimes the odd cow will "suck it up" so to speak. And again if you are cold there like here, the bag might not show. We have had many a surprises going by the bag.
For us the best check is around the tail bone, when it falls, and the plug comes out.
Plug... up to three days give or take.
Falls on both sides...24hours
live calf...priceless

bad joke, sorry. Also, she might be waiting for a low pressure to move it...storm in , calf out

Talked to my vet and he suggested he doesn't come out for another week? OMG she is overdue and sooooooooooo big. But she is eating and crapping and getting up and down and has no mucous soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I will wait more! (happens every year: I am the expectant mother!)

Onthebit":osjdtdq1 said:
Talked to my vet and he suggested he doesn't come out for another week? OMG she is overdue and sooooooooooo big. But she is eating and crapping and getting up and down and has no mucous soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I will wait more! (happens every year: I am the expectant mother!)

How sure are you that she was due on the 10th

Like I said, unless she got bred by a jumping neighbour's bull she had to be bred before her arrival April4. This is because my vet palpated her to be 5.5 months in Sept. I didn't purchase a bull until June 18. None of my fences have been down.....My vet assured me he wouldn't be off more than a month. (I asked if she was carrying twins could he be off a few months.)

Maybe the false alarms are over?
My owner is pulling his hair out from impatience!
Look at MY udder:
rose200109%20(1).jpg

Hold thumbs for us,
Rose.
More photo's at: http://www.vdwesthuizen.co.za/koei-e.htm

WOWWY that cow will raise 10 calves. How over is she? She reminds me of the ewe I had as far as udders for a small sized animal!

Hi Onthebit!
Less than an hour after "Rose" submitted her post she had a beautiful calve! :D
Will post some photo's tomorrow, Rose is a bit sensitive to the camera flash.

Thanks for your interest,

Neville & family (plus one!)

NsptDevil":1vymoajm said:
Maybe the false alarms are over?
My owner is pulling his hair out from impatience!
Look at MY udder:
rose200109%20(1).jpg

Hold thumbs for us,
Rose.
More photo's at: http://www.vdwesthuizen.co.za/koei-e.htm
What the heeel... if I looked out and saw that I'd pass out! Call the food bank....we can take care of some serious world hunger! haha. Great milk...

Latest posts