Obsessive/Compulsive Sucking Disorder in Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Update: On Monday I decided to play "tough guy" and bring the calf in the horse barn. I put him in a stall with only water and grain during the day. The first day it took him all day to eat a 12 oz cup of grain (mixture of sweet feed, milk pellets and crushed Nilla Wafers). Yesterday he ate 2 of the 12 oz cups in the morning and then 2 again in the evening before going out on pasture. I might be making some progress! While he is still trying to suck.... he did not appear to be as out of control about it last night when I put him out.

VirginiaMoo -----Yay!! It certainly does sound like progress is being made!

I agree, that his not-so-good-looks appear to me to be from lack of 'groceries' so to speak. You're on the right track, keep it up! :)

Workinonit Farm":30q9b20z said:
VirginiaMoo -----Yay!! It certainly does sound like progress is being made!

I agree, that his not-so-good-looks appear to me to be from lack of 'groceries' so to speak. You're on the right track, keep it up! :)

The past week, he has slowly started eating more and more grain. I now have him up to an amount you would expect a calf his size to eat. He already looks SO much better! His topline is filling in and he looks more like he should. The fecal report came back today. Some moderate worms, but I will worm him accordingly and recheck in 2 weeks. Thanks for everyone's input!!

Latest posts