Obama Phones

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":3d1am9cm said:
I think poverty is in the eye of the beholder. Will Rogers put it best when he said that if you are going to be poor there is no place like america to do so as we are the only country where you can drive your automobile to the poor house. So we should be thankful for what we have and also for what we do not. Just think what it would be like if we got all the government we're paying for.

will rogers elementary burns flat oklahoma
go to burns flat ok or some of the other little "indian nation" towns and that will give you a different perspective on poverty.

cross_7":joh1fiba said:
Jogeephus":joh1fiba said:
I think poverty is in the eye of the beholder. Will Rogers put it best when he said that if you are going to be poor there is no place like america to do so as we are the only country where you can drive your automobile to the poor house. So we should be thankful for what we have and also for what we do not. Just think what it would be like if we got all the government we're paying for.

go to burns flat ok or some of the other little "indian nation" towns and that will give you a different perspective on poverty.

Years ago Burns Flat used to be a thriving AF Base. I used to live in nearby Cordell.

Cal

Calman":s5gdh77u said:
cross_7":s5gdh77u said:
Jogeephus":s5gdh77u said:

Years ago Burns Flat used to be a thriving AF Base. I used to live in nearby Cordell.

Cal

cordell is still a nice little town, but burns flat must have gone south, it's old, rundown, junky/trashy and plenty of government housing

I wonder how much disposable personal income is left for someone who: lives in subsidized housing, has subsadized utilities, draws food stamps, and receives welfare. I bet it's more than I have left on the last day of the month.

Cal[/quote]

cordell is still a nice little town, but burns flat must have gone south, it's old, rundown, junky/trashy and plenty of government housing[/quote]

All that government housing used to be military housing. They still used to use the runway when I lived at cordell. Don't know if they do anymore or not.

Cal

cross_7":62ktc4ml said:
Jogeephus":62ktc4ml said:

I doubt it. You are directing this at someone who lived in a barn for two years where the highlight of my week was sitting in my chair with a six pack of the cheapest beer I could buy and taking tally of the mice I killed in my traps. Record was 16 in one sitting. Never once did I stick my hand out unless it was to collect the money I earned with the many jobs I worked. I never once felt that I was a victim or that someone owed me anything and in reflection I really have some fond memories of this time. I was quite happy but I did strive for more.

"Jogeephus"
I doubt it. You are directing this at someone who lived in a barn for two years where the highlight of my week was sitting in my chair with a six pack of the cheapest beer I could buy and taking tally of the mice I killed in my traps. Record was 16 in one sitting. Never once did I stick my hand out unless it was to collect the money I earned with the many jobs I worked. I never once felt that I was a victim or that someone owed me anything and in reflection I really have some fond memories of this time. I was quite happy but I did strive for more.

thats the difference.
i think these people get just enough to get by thats all.
they don't seem to have any ambition to better thier lives.
the part that gets me is living in filth. i see lots of houses were it looks like they just throw their garbage out the door.
everything around them is falling down and they make no attempt at repair.
i just don't understand thier state of mind

edit
i wasn't directing that directly at you, just saying will rogers name is on a school in a poverty stricken town right in the heartland

Jogeephus,
I'd have to check on the cost of moustraps and .22 ammo to figure out which of us had it worse as we used to bait them with crackers into a part of the trailer that was already rotting out and shoot them and we loved it... I didn't even know handouts were available then and I wouldn't have taken them if they were.
Thank you for the reminder, I've come so far that I tend to forget about how I used to be... I'm still that way...I just have more to show for it than I used to...

Jogeephus":367ug8nf said:
cross_7":367ug8nf said:
Jogeephus":367ug8nf said:

:tiphat: My hat is off to you, Jogee. In this present day and age there are countless free resources available to those who need some direction (not $ handouts) to get going again but they just won't take advantage of it. It's as if they are comfortable with whatever living situation they happen to be in and complain for the sake of complaining. The free ride is much easier than the hard ride. Over the last 60 years I can probably count less than 10 people, like yourself, that have dug themselves out of hole pretty much on their own. Those have my deepest respect and admiration. There are still those that need a little more of helping hand and you know their worth by what they do with the opportunity given.

I agree with what you said Cross. I used to keep a piece of paper on my refrigerator that said "Make your own Reality". I tried to do just this but I wonder if I had I been given free housing, food, phone and had a large color television if I would have strived to better myself. Like you, it bothers me that some people live in filth and they don't even try. What's more troubling we have a whole culture that has bred generations of the same at a staggering pace. When I was at my poorest, the last thing I wanted to do was bring a child into the world but now we reward people for doing just this. I assure you if I was your neighbor and the rain skipped you for some reason and you didn't have any grass for your cattle and needed some hay - I'd give you some. But if you were in this same situation and you bought in a load of calves to graze your short grass I'd wouldn't give you so much as a square bale because that was your choice. Personally, I'm tired of paying for other people's poor choices.

Jogeephus":2pvwjpab said:
I agree with what you said Cross. I used to keep a piece of paper on my refrigerator that said "Make your own Reality". I tried to do just this but I wonder if I had I been given free housing, food, phone and had a large color television if I would have strived to better myself. Like you, it bothers me that some people live in filth and they don't even try. What's more troubling we have a whole culture that has bred generations of the same at a staggering pace. When I was at my poorest, the last thing I wanted to do was bring a child into the world but now we reward people for doing just this. I assure you if I was your neighbor and the rain skipped you for some reason and you didn't have any grass for your cattle and needed some hay - I'd give you some. But if you were in this same situation and you bought in a load of calves to graze your short grass I'd wouldn't give you so much as a square bale because that was your choice. Personally, I'm tired of paying for other people's poor choices.
Once again you speak wisdom. :tiphat:

Calman":2x5egqio said:

Cal

cordell is still a nice little town, but burns flat must have gone south, it's old, rundown, junky/trashy and plenty of government housing[/quote]

All that government housing used to be military housing. They still used to use the runway when I lived at cordell. Don't know if they do anymore or not.

Cal[/quote]

I drove through there back in the mid 90's with a buddy. He took me on a tour of the neighbor hoods since it appeared to be what you should do and all. I couldn't believe the rows and rows of modern empty houses just falling apart. Seemed like 1 out of 5 houses had an occupant. It just amazed me. I always assumed it was from the oil bust. Guess I was wrong.

The town did have one pretty girl and a pretty good pizza joint though.

do you believe people are different based on ancestry, not race but ancestry, that determines a persons, intellect, skill, work ethic and so on that which would also determine a persons standard of living ?

cross_7":2ehi8ov9 said:
do you believe people are different based on ancestry, not race but ancestry, that determines a persons, intellect, skill, work ethic and so on that which would also determine a persons standard of living ?
Try reading "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Dr. Thomas Sowell. :D

Don't know what the book says but I think it plays a part but they are not chained to their circumstances. Everyone knows what is right and what is wrong and what society views as the norm.

I also think it matters a lot who you hang around with and if you hang around a bunch of losers you set the bar much lower than if you spent time around people with higher values and desires. One of my best friends got on drugs and I cut ties with him real quick. I don't need to be around people like as it puts a poor reflection on me.

It gets me that they run PSA's on television showing some druggie looking kid doing a good deed to remind us not to judge a person by their looks. I agree with this message but common. These idividualistic people need to realize employers are not going to hire them if they don't reflect in their looks the values of the company. I seriously doubt you'll ever find a tattooless employee in a tattoo parlor and you won't find some hippy working with me.

Jogeephus":3phefsdt said:
Don't know what the book says but I think it plays a part but they are not chained to their circumstances.
Basically it ties different groups of people to the regions of the world that they came from and explains why they act the way they do in america. It's written by a very conservative black man.

Aside from that book, It takes a whole lot more than most folks have to figure out that they have the power to change their own circumstances. "rich dad, poor dad" is a good read on that one as is "secrets of the millionare mind". I kind of already thought that way when I read them but when my wife picked up the first one it changed my marriage and now we're truly partners as she gets it now.

i think mental capacity plays biggest role in a persons ability to function in society.
we have a few communities that are of german decent that are known as hard working intelligent people that make a very good living.
i have also seen in my travels some communities of a different "decent" that are the exact opposite
genetic make-up i'm not so sure about, some "groups" seem to be more prone to poverty than others but that might be more culture than anything.
people are funny. i have two cousins that are brothers raised side by side and one has been in trouble his whole life, drugs alcohol,prison, you name it.
the other has never so much as bent a rule and has very good career, nice farming operation, nice family and so on.
funny thing is the physical difference one is 6' 2 -200# good looking guy, good personality
the other is 5-8" 200#
the short stumpy one is the good one
almost makes you think is more genetic than circumstance

cross_7":9tammfqa said:
i think mental capacity plays biggest role in a persons ability to function in society.
we have a few communities that are of german decent that are known as hard working intelligent people that make a very good living.
i have also seen in my travels some communities of a different "decent" that are the exact opposite
genetic make-up i'm not so sure about, some "groups" seem to be more prone to poverty than others but that might be more culture than anything.
people are funny. i have two cousins that are brothers raised side by side and one has been in trouble his whole life, drugs alcohol,prison, you name it.
the other has never so much as bent a rule and has very good career, nice farming operation, nice family and so on.
funny thing is the physical difference one is 6' 2 -200# good looking guy, good personality
the other is 5-8" 200#
the short stumpy one is the good one
almost makes you think is more genetic than circumstance

My deep thought for the day: It may be socieity's effect on the genetic phenotype though. You know, how a pretty girl that gets treated "special" all the time, may not be able to handle the tough times life throws at them very well. Or like one that is babied by her parents and then meets the real world. Same can go for guys that have experienced easy success. Challenges build character.

I think mental attitude, (integrity, desire, determination, etc...) out weighs physical and mental aptitude that we are born with. There are just way too many examples. However, having a strong mental aptitude is obviously a bonus, if the person can keep themselves out of trouble and see the light.

But of course, this is coming from the guy that tells his girls that their best hope is for hybrid vigor. :cowboy:

Latest posts