Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have planted back in fall oats for cows to eat
They have grazed it once and now it has come back for second grazing in about 2- 3weeks. My question is I also have a spot not under pasture that some came up from a farmer crop near by. It is begining to head. When can I cut it and do I need to dry it before feeding. I have a sickle mower and will have to load it on trailer to haul. No baling. Advise please.

Tomcolvin":2pke1th4 said:
My question is I also have a spot not under pasture that some came up from a farmer near by.
It is beginning to head. When can I cut it and do I need to dry it before feeding?
I have a sickle mower and will have to load it on trailer to haul. No baling. Advise please.
Sounds as though it is ready to cut now for oatlage.
Even when making oatlage it needs to wilt dry for about a day and 1/2 before chopping.
Guess I would cut it, haul it and make a pile... slowly introduce it and see how the cows react.
Depending on how much there is and how it's piled, hopefully the center will heat and ferment rather than heat
and mold. The outside of the pile should start drying and be fine to feed.
How the rest of the stack/pile fares use your judgment. I have no experience with it other than chopping or baling.
But you don't want to be feeding moldy feed to breeding stock or cows.

Latest posts