oats,winter wheat, or rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I am going to try with some participation to get some winter forage going. I tried marshall and clover last year. dry winter keep this from being to effective. any suggestions of oats vs wheat or rye grass. thanks

IMO oats makes the best hay after you finish grazing
about mid-March. Especially if you lime your field
(if needed) before planting. pricey best variety we
ever planted was from east texas seed company,
called "heavy grazer" oats.

OK Jeanne":2xi1r9fk said:
IMO oats makes the best hay after you finish grazing
about mid-March. Especially if you lime your field
(if needed) before planting. pricey best variety we
ever planted was from east texas seed company,
called "heavy grazer" oats.

We've never planted anything but WW. When planting WW if it's planted really heavy we get more upright growth and better hay production. If planted lighter it heads out shorter and don;t get near the volume of hay. Do oats and rye do the same thing?

dun

the "heavy grazer" oats has a leaf about twice the width
of other oats...and maybe 3 or 4 times the width of a
wheat or rye leaf.

Why choose? Just plant some of all of them. You may be far enough north that a patch of cereal rye would work as well. We plant oats because we get some early grazing in the fall. The ryegrass is slower to come up but we get some fall grazing and will come on strong in the spring and last into late spring if we clip the seed heads. The cereal rye is more cold hardy and will provide grazing in December and January while the ryegrass is more dormant and the oats have folded their tent. We also mix in some crimson clover with the ryegrass. Of course we do this because we try to minimize feeding hay. If you are primarily going to cut for hay I would pick one and go with it.

One other thing, we have better results planting the oats, rye, and ryegrass in separate pastures because the cows will selectively eat the ryegrass and oats and the rye will go to seed. We also rotationally graze and that seems to help. My opinion ain't worth a pile of manure if we don't get rain.

Tonnage varies greatly with the variety. Check with your neighbors or the local test station for recommendations. Italian rye has the highest yield in our area, and forage oats is second.

Number one I would check to see what works for your neighbors. Or Number Two do it the redneck way like we do, ten acres of this, ten acres of that, and then ten acres of the other. Then you can see what will work best for you but, fall/winter conditions can change and some crops do better or worse in different conditions.

Last year we planted feed oats and got a real good stand, better then the rye grass. The year before we got a better stand of rye grass then oats. I think the oats do better with drier weather then the rye grass. never tried any of the others.

The ohly problem with oats (here in north Texas) is winter kill.
Most around here plant pasture mix (wheat, rye, and oats)

I also plant ryegrass.

johndeerefarmer":lpah3ol4 said:
The ohly problem with oats (here in north Texas) is winter kill.
Most around here plant pasture mix (wheat, rye, and oats)

I also plant ryegrass.

Please allow me to open myself up to an education...

At what time do you apply a herbicide to cut back on the weeds? I received one recommendation to use "Amber", but I noticed that "Amber" also suppresses annual rye grass. What herbicide is recommended for "pasture mix" or any of the three mentioned individually? I'm about 20 miles south of the Red River and trying to get a good stand before placing any stock on it.

Thankfully we had a nice slow soaking yesterday with more in the forcast for the coming weekend, so trying to make some quick decisions.

Thanks!

What is the normal lbs per acre seed rate for wheat in central arkansas? What should I expect to pay for field run bulk wheat seed ?

here in texas when we planted wheat we would plant 90lbs to ac.im sure where you are the planting rate is the same.

Latest posts